Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help- I think I am turning into my mother!

Options
  • 06-03-2009 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

Wonderful and all as my mom was i fear I am turning into her...

For example:

Going to two supermarkets because the first one was out of the fabric softener that matches the washing powder.

Tutting to myself about the gangs of young ones hanging around outside tesco on a cold friday evening half dressed.

So recently I hit 30 and have always been a good old chinwagger but found myself outside supervalu rolling my eyes about there being "no drying " and the scandals of the ESB and my fear of the tumble dryer becuse opf the bills.

Am I alone or does anyone else think Jaysus when did i stop worrying about my VPL and start wearing bridget jones style seamless ones instead of thongs because the gusset is cotton!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

I started doing that at 15 so I dont think you started early!
    I have this vivid memory of a party that I had and then one of my male friends saying "You are exactly like your mother, the way you talk, the way you act".. Everyone else agreed.. ...I wanted to (try to) beat him up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Banrion

I walk like my mother. Depressing really cos she walks like those little animals out in the desert...leumurs. And short little quick steps.
    Personality wise Im also more like her now....all practical like and no nonsense.
    Where is the passion of my teens?:rolleyes: The wildness of my twenties?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

In a family photograph taken last year, I'm sitting in exactly the same way, my ankles crossed at the same point, my head tilted to the same side, as my mother. I never saw any similarity before, although I'm sure they always existed.

I'm actually delighted I'm turning into her, since she's everything I would aspire to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Don't worry MJOR, your just getting old. that's all!!!:D

Really though, you tutted at eejit's, that's OK.

But you went to a different supermarket for FABRIC SOFTENER!!!!

I think you really need to do something Juvenile to stop the "sensibilities!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭MILF

MJOR wrote: »
    Wonderful and all as my mom was i fear I am turning into her...

For example:

Going to two supermarkets because the first one was out of the fabric softener that matches the washing powder.

Tutting to myself about the gangs of young ones hanging around outside tesco on a cold friday evening half dressed.

So recently I hit 30 and have always been a good old chinwagger but found myself outside supervalu rolling my eyes about there being "no drying " and the scandals of the ESB and my fear of the tumble dryer becuse opf the bills.

Am I alone or does anyone else think Jaysus when did i stop worrying about my VPL and start wearing bridget jones style seamless ones instead of thongs because the gusset is cotton!!!

Hahaha, this is hysterical! Fabric Softener, I have never done! Tutting at the boldness of teenagers hanging round, I do ALL THE TIME! I'm only 26 but I wanna kill these F~**ckers! Tumble dryer - yes, ESB - yes! Jeex, were really old!

Dont worry about being your mammy, she brought you up to be the cracker you are so I'd give her props!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

me and my best mate decided at some point in the jnr section of secondary school, that we shall never end up like our mams... i think the definitive point for us to avoid was having to leave a conversation because a) the oven's on, and i have to get back to the dinner, and b) oh dear, it's raining, have to go put the washing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I get excited when there's good drying weather, and put on a load of washing straight away, so MJOR i'm with you all the way for laundry related obsession.

Worryingly i say and do things, with increasing frequency as i get older, which have friends and family saying "you're just like your father". Oh, gods, i hope hair doesn't start growing out of my ears like it has for him...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I always lament the fact that its poor drying weather or that I can't be home early enough to bring in the washing before it gets wet again....I also feel I should be ironing every item of clothing but so far have resisted. This weekend perhaps I shall indulge myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I bought a Yankee Candle last week :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Gauge wrote: »
    I bought a Yankee Candle last week :(

massive lol!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

It's odd I'm seeing so much of both my parents in me at the minute. In terms of general life interests I'm more like my dad but in the last few years I have found myself becoming calmer and quieter like my mam. I only wish I had half her energy, particularly when it comes to window washing. That genetic trait seems to have passed me by.

I think I'll worry more when I stop tut tutting at the young-uns and start saying with a silly little smile..."ahhh there's nothing like the youth".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

MJOR, don't worry; until you start muttering "They'll get a shocking cold in their kidneys" about the underdressed girls, and helpfully telling young lads in the street "Stand up straight and pull up your trousers, young man, you're a disgrace - I'll report your mother on you if you don't put out that cigarette this minute", you're still safely on the youth side of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

LOLLERs at the thread.

My eldest daughter is turning into me! :D So says her mother anyway.

"Oh my God, she's just like you. That's exactly what you'd say"

Even funnier: she's my step-daughter. It's to do with example rather than biology, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Nature and Nurture I think.... All my life I was told I was the image of my dad.. him being fair haired and blue eyed and me being the same (thankfullt the baldness i don't have) My mom had black hair and green eyes. I got her eyebrows though (in blonde) and more recently her penchant for cif and comfort!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

In a family photograph taken last year, I'm sitting in exactly the same way, my ankles crossed at the same point, my head tilted to the same side, as my mother. I never saw any similarity before, although I'm sure they always existed.

I'm actually delighted I'm turning into her, since she's everything I would aspire to be.
    That's very nice of you to say so GI .

I wish I could say the same for my 3 sisters about our mother .The fact that two of them live in other countries and the 3rd lives on the oppisite side of Dublin city is no coincidence.Putting distance between them and her was the easy bit .Not adopting her way thinking and habits was probably harder lol ,so determinied were they to be themselfs instead of what she thought they should be . :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

my sister was trying on a strapless dress recently and asked me what i thought of it, and particularly if i thought she'd get away with a strapless one, as she's quite small on top

i looked at it and then said "the only thing stopping that falling down is the grace of god". I didnt mean it in a nasty or unpleasant way, i was genuinely concerned for her modesty/dignity should the dress actually fall down.

:eek::eek:

i have now officially turned into my mother!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I'll know when I'm old when i start painting the walls magnolia.

sam34 wrote: »
    my sister was trying on a strapless dress recently and asked me what i thought of it, and particularly if i thought she'd get away with a strapless one, as she's quite small on top

i looked at it and then said "the only thing stopping that falling down is the grace of god". I didnt mean it in a nasty or unpleasant way, i was genuinely concerned for her modesty/dignity should the dress actually fall down.

Brilliant!!! Proof we all have our mothers expressions:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

I felt obliged to provide the soundtrack to this thread :D

mental07 wrote: »
    I felt obliged to provide the soundtrack to this thread :D

VERY GOOD¬:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I'd have loved a mother who said that sort of thing to me. :)

With the one I had, I'd be reaching for the shotgun to blow my top off if I felt I was turning into her. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Funny.

I was getting dressed to go out last night, and I discarded one choice on the grounds I'd catch my death of cold.:)

A real symptom of mother-morphing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Funny that ye are all looking at having to be concerned about household tasks means
    ye are turning into your mothers or that being an adult with views which are more 'grown up' means you are 'turning into your mother's".

For most of us our mother's are the female adult role model which we grew up with,
    some of our opinions will be the same and some of our turns of phrase.

There are shades of nail polish I can't wear for them my hands
    look like my mother's esp as I move into my mid 30s and I have clear memories
    of my mother's hands when she was this age, but I am not her.

We all have, as we grew up and became teen agers struggled and
    fought with our mother's as part of defining ourselves and fighting for our
    independence and uttered the words "I will never be like her",
    but as we grow and mature we should be able to look at our mother's
    in a more mature and objective view as a person and all they achieved
    and did for us in our lives.

Many of my views on many differnt topics are not my mother,
    I am happy and secure in myself to know I have not and will not turn into my mother.
    I am also happy that there are skills and insights that she did pass on to me,
    all of which make my life and the life of my children a lot better and intresting.

If I can pass those skills on to my children, make them as confident as my parents
    did me and provide them with the same oppertunities ( if not more ) then I will
    be very pleased that in that way I have emulated my mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

The other day I realised I was walking/charging up the stairs in the exact same manner as my aunt who is a nun. She has a very distinctive walk so I was a bit alarmed to say the least!

I will have to keep a close eye on this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

My mother would always disgrace us by bringing packed lunches everywhere instead of buying them at the place we were going to. Like she'd never let us buy the sweets at the cinema for example, she'd always give us sweets from home. I swore when I was older I'd never do that.

Cut to me bringing my own sandwiches and snacks on a recent long journey for myself and my husband and yes I have at times brought my own sweets into the cinema.

You were right all along mother.....

Funny.

I was getting dressed to go out last night, and I discarded one choice on the grounds I'd catch my death of cold.:)

A real symptom of mother-morphing!

that and being worried about getting piles from sitting on the ground in the cold

The bossily watching out for others health/manners thing, I have been doing since I gave up any hope of reverting to being an only child again age 4. You would have heard me extoling the virtues of cotton gussets in the playground :D

I recently acquired this gianormous pair of stretchy knickers.
    They come up to practically under my chin, and for all the world look like a victorian bathing suit.
    Everytime I realise that they are todays are pants, I smile and I decide today is going to be a good day. They just made me feel secure, snuggling my kidneys as they do. :)

I wish I took after my mother, the only thing I got from her was a propensity for road rage :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Everytime I realise that they are todays are pants, I smile and I decide today is going to be a good day. They just made me feel secure, snuggling my kidneys as they do. :)

You know you're a grown up when your guilty pleasures become public ones, and you just dont feel guilty anymore.

I'm happy for you and your pants, by the way...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

oh christ. i just took a job as a receptionist... that's one step closer to being her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

I'm deffo getting old/turning into my mother (R.I.P.) as all I want nowadays for birthday present etc. are kitchen appliances... :(

I am obsessed with getting a Kitchen Aid Mixer (light blue if anyone is feeling generous) and one of those funky Italian Retro Espresso Makers (bright orange) but in fairness that latter one is an exception 'cause young and funky people buy them too...

I spend all my money on things for the house and am now turning a study off the kitchen into a big 'pantry' - a la Nigella Lawson. I now spend my money on food items that will look good in my 'pantry' as opposed to nice clothes... :(

I also think there's nothing nicer than sitting in my house after i have spent 2 days cleaning it from top to bottom, have changed the bed sheets, the ironing done, floors polished, have dinner in the over and a G&T in hand at 5pm (Note: I am not working at the moment).

In regards to the tutting at anyone under the age of 25 - that started about 3 years ago and is growing from strength to strength. I tut particularly so at irritating U.S. teen shows like 'The Hills' or anything in relation to that one 'Miley Cyrus' (BTW who IS she), Lindsay Lohan, the majority of music groups which now spoil formerly talented events like the Grammys or the Brits... I could go on but I'm starting to get a tad irate...

Advertisement