Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Mary Lou Knocked on My Door.....

Options
  • 06-03-2009 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

.........and in fairness answered every single qs I asked her

Qs I asked were not particularly comfortable for a Sinn Fein member to have to deal with but in fairness she answered them all and even had figures and costings which is more than I can say for Joan Burtons shambolic performance on Vincent Browne.

Still dont know if they would get my vote per se but she did really well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Didn't she run for Dublin Central and not even live there?
    I'm sure she's a good candidate, it wouldn't have helped though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

mikemac wrote: »
    Didn't she run for Dublin Central and not even live there?
    I'm sure she's a good candidate, it wouldn't have helped though

A lot of representatives don't live in their constituencies, or only move there after getting elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Maybe so in cities, I don't doubt you :)

I'm more familiar with rural constituencies and realy, Mary Lou was the first example of this that I'd heard of this. I'd can't think it's ever happened in my own constituency.
    I did hear the "parachute candidate" line used by opponents.

Anyway, hope I'm not dragging this thread offtopic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I have always found her an impressive performer, for one who had very little experience when she was first thrown into the position of basically being the face of Sinn Fein down South. She's a good speaker, and speaks with clarity.

I am no fan of Joan Burton (as will have read from my previous post this week), and I feel that she is a real weakness in any attempt will have to take power. She should be boosting Labour's profile with all the air time she gets, but doesnt perform well when having to offer a suggestions as what to do (as opposed to just criticizing what the government are doing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I have always found her an impressive performer, for one who had very little experience when she was first thrown into the position of basically being the face of Sinn Fein down South. She's a good speaker, and speaks with clarity.

I have listened to her in many TV & Radio debates over the last few years, and I have found her to be one of the most intellectually lacking & 'vacuous' performers I have ever witnessed (admittedly in a clear voice)!

The woman never actually says anything, she predominantly talks in 'SF soundbites', and once you take out all of this 'SF' window dressing you are left with . . . "Let me be perfectly clear about this" > "We are for all the people all of the time" > "My vote is no more important than your vote" > "We demand equality for all the people of Ireland" etc etc etc :rolleyes:

Loads of the bleedin obvious, with absolutely no bleedin content at all, and if she was the last so called politician on the Planet I still wouldn't vote for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Camelot wrote: »
    I have listened to her in many TV & Radio debates over the last few years, and I have found her to be one of the most intellectually lacking & 'vacuous' performers I have ever witnessed (admittedly in a clear voice)!

The woman never actually says anything, she predominantly talks in 'SF soundbites', and once you take out all of this 'SF' window dressing you are left with . . . "Let me be perfectly clear about this" > "We are for all the people all of the time" > "My vote is no more important than your vote" > "We demand equality for all the people of Ireland" etc etc etc :rolleyes:

Loads of the bleedin obvious, with absolutely no bleedin content at all, and if she was the last so called politician on the Planet I still wouldn't vote for her.

I would have had the same opinion but I asked her about what she would do to raise the 5 billion and she actually had figures as opposed to soundbites. Also she said to me she was not opposed to laying off underperforming PS workers. Labour just will not say these things for fear of losing their new found tags as darlings of the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

population wrote: »
    .........and in fairness answered every single qs I asked her

Qs I asked were not particularly comfortable for a Sinn Fein member to have to deal with but in fairness she answered them all and even had figures and costings which is more than I can say for Joan Burtons shambolic performance on Vincent Browne.

Still dont know if they would get my vote per se but she did really well.

Did you ask her for the whereabouts of the missing.

Good point

I asked her was this a genuine departure for Sinn Fein from the days of old, I asked her detailed qs about their current funding and I asked her if hypothetically they got in on my vote, would I eventually have some nasty surprises to deal with.

She acknowledged where I was coming from, took it on the chin and answered the questions (from what I can tell at least!) honestly....

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

I've been around for a long time so no matter what they do or how hard they try, they carry too much nasty baggage from the past to get me to even listen.

They wouldn't even condemn Omagh at the time, though they may since have said it was wrong or unfortunate.

Unfortunate is such a cop out.

I remember Lenihan saying that about Sean Fitzpatricks part in the decimation of this country.

I take your point without quibble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Honestly, she's a politician, if she can't sell herself to you on the doorstep she's in the wrong business. Don't ever be too impressed when one spouts figures on your doorstep because unless you work in the area you'll have no idea if it's they're lies, half-truths or actually true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

wilson10 wrote: »
    I've been around for a long time so no matter what they do or how hard they try, they carry too much nasty baggage from the past to get me to even listen.

They wouldn't even condemn Omagh at the time, though they may since have said it was wrong or unfortunate.

Agreed. I could never bring myself to vote for them. In fact, if there was a serious possibility of them getting in to Government, I would vote for the party least likely to enter coalition with them and carry on my preferences in that order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'd love to have asked her if they were still selling IRA tshirts on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Trotter wrote: »
    I'd love to have asked her if they were still selling IRA tshirts on their website.

......glad to see you've the real issues to the fore there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Anytime I have seen her on a tv debate she always seems well able to handle any question thrown at her. She is just a good debator imo as opposed to many politicians these days.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Nodin wrote: »

I couldnt see myself voting for a Party that sells teddybears that say "Tiocfaidh ar Lá"

Nor would i really want them representing me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

wilson10 wrote: »

Wrong.

"I am totally horrified by this action. I condemn it without any equivocation whatsoever."

-Gerry Adams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Pretty much every political party of substance on this island has emerged from a violent past. If people did not decide that this violent past was behind these other parties then these parties could not have moved on.

Each individual has to decide if Sinn Féin has moved on from its violent past. I myself am convinced that the republicans that make up Sinn Féin have moved on from violence and will not return to it.

I have two reasons for believing this and they are that they do not believe that there is enough support in the country to carry out a successful campaign through insurgency.
    The second being that this group of republicans have seen the sacrifices that their own people had to make over a very long time and that there is better opportunity of achieving success through peacefull means.

It is interesting that the more success that Sinn Féin achieve electorally then the farther away they get from a violent past.
    Sinn Féin through their participation in a long and torturous peace process have earned the right for their policies to be considered and excepted or rejected by each member of the electorate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

blinding wrote: »
    Each individual has to decide if Sinn Féin has moved on from its violent past.

Why are they still selling IRA t-shirts on their website so ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Nodin wrote: »

Unfortunately for SF this is where their credibility falls down, the Armalite and the ballot box mentality is still there.

As regards Mary Lou, she is another in a long line of manufactured SF talkers, when a question is asked of her you can almost hear her brain searching the database.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Unfortunately for SF this is where their credibility falls down, the Armalite and the ballot box mentality is still there.

As regards Mary Lou, she is another in a long line of manufactured SF talkers, when a question is asked of her you can almost hear her brain searching the database.

I have to agree with you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

Hi Mary, can you tell me why your party lobbied for the early release of the killers of Garda Jerry McCabe?

No?

No votes from me so........bye bye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

jimmmy wrote: »

Funds I'd imagine? It doesn't mean that Sinn Féin is getting ready to re-engage in an armed campaign. the same way Fine gael run around with pictures of Michael Collins, who committed similar acts. Is that not the same thing? Of course it is.

Sinn Féin has opted for a peaceful road-map.. The party has moved on and progressed. Obviously this all takes time, one step at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

dlofnep wrote: »
    Funds I'd imagine? It doesn't mean that Sinn Féin is getting ready to re-engage in an armed campaign. the same way Fine gael run around with pictures of Michael Collins, who committed similar acts. Is that not the same thing? Of course it is.

Sinn Féin has opted for a peaceful road-map.. The party has moved on and progressed. Obviously this all takes time, one step at a time.

what say you about an economic policy that makes FF look good? :rolleyes:

raising corpo taxes? oh dear god save us all :mad:

Funds I'd imagine?
    Do they really need to raise that much from selling t-shirts containing such tone + content ? No other political party does it.
    As another poster wrote, unfortunately for SF this is where their credibility falls down, the Armalite and the ballot box mentality is still there.

It doesn't mean that Sinn Féin is getting ready to re-engage in an armed campaign.
    Nobody suggested it was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

jimmmy wrote: »
    The IRA that was/is associated with Sinn Féin are no longer involved in military action or organised actions of any kind. They are commited to peaceful methods of achieving the goals of Sinn Féin.

In my opinion Sinn Féin have shown their commitment to peaceful means by continuing with the peace process over the long term.

Do you complain when FF,FG,Labour commemorate some of their people from the past that were involved in violent action.

In my opinion Sinn Féin have shown their commitment to peaceful means by continuing with the peace process over the long term..

Correct, I will give them that.
    The fact they are still selling IRA t-shirts etc on their website speaks volumes though....other political parties do not do that kind of thing, when victims and victims families are still alive.
    Do you complain when FF,FG,Labour commemorate some of their people from the past that were involved in violent action.
    I mind my own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Ye here is another one - How dare they!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

When you lie down with dogs, you end up with fleas

Advertisement