Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mir out of fight with Lesnar

Options
  • 06-03-2009 10:58pm

Link
    nterim heavyweight champion Frank Mir sustained a knee injury while training for his upcoming fight against Brock Lesnar at UFC 98: “Lesnar vs. Mir 2″ from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on May 23 and has been forced out of the main event.

Mir will require time to heal after recently undergoing minor knee surgery to repair the damage. He is expected to make a full recovery. There is no timetable for a return; however, the good news is that it could be as soon as this summer.

Therefore, the highly anticipated heavyweight title unification match appears to be temporarily on hold for now.

Well this should be interesting. Wonder what they'll line up as a replacement main event now....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Shame :(

CUE THE SPECULATION!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

It makes the Gonzaga Carwin fight a hell of a lot more interesting me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

That's a big shame.

Was looking forward to seeing how a much improved Lesnar would handle a much improved Mir (over the Fat Frank period of his career).

If I was Mir I would have kept it secret and just collect probably the biggest paycheck of my career. I hope being serious about fighting only at 100% pays off in the long run for Mir.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I heard that it was a back injury that needs surgery. Seems like there's still speculation about it

If true, it's unfortunate. I can't wait to see the fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Mir will require time to heal after recently undergoing minor knee surgery to repair the damage. He is expected to make a full recovery. There is no timetable for a return; however, the good news is that it could be as soon as this summer.

Well this should be interesting. Wonder what they'll line up as a replacement main event now....

Thats a f*cking disgrace on the behalf of the UFC!
    The had the cheek to send their fight club members a link to presale tickets 3 days ago with the headline fight still on?? (see email picture below)
    And he's supposed to have had surgery already??
    Man I'd be seriously p1ssed off if I had bought tickets.

UFC98_PRESALEBLAST_01.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Well that sucks. Wonder who they'll feed Lesnar because they won't want to risk the Mir Lesnar fight by having him drop the belt.

Edit: Dana has denied any knowledge of it
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=8325&zoneid=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭RAMPAGE1

I'd like to see Lesnar vs Cheik Kongo

rovert wrote: »
    If I was Mir I would have kept it secret and just collect probably the biggest paycheck of my career. I hope being serious about fighting only at 100% pays off in the long run for Mir.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why in all good health would he do that? He beat Lesnar last time in 90 seconds. Lesnar apologists harp on and on about the "he was winning until" but guess what....he was wining until, yep, you guessed it, he lost. He got submitted by the first sub Mir attempted too. Doesn't bode well. Maybe he'll need two or three this time but my moneys on another early sub (unless Brock keeps it standing, then God knows what'll happen). Not only that, but they also blame the referee (Steve Mazzagatti) for deducting the point despite having warned Lesnar to watch the back of the head. That's Lesnars fault for letting the blood rush to the head and spazzing (basically swingin as hard and fast and as often as he can without really aiming), Pro fighters are meant to be accurate with their strikes. What Mir did (tucking his head leaving only the back of his head exposed) was within the rules and what Brock did was not./ So within UFC rules which is what they'll be fighting next time to, Mir has a quick win over Lesnar. So again I ask, when he KNOWS he can beat the guy, why in all good health would he go in to lose and collect a paycheck? FFS.

UPDATE

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why in all good health would he do that?

I could roll eyes too I answered that in the posting you quoted.

• Advertisement

I could roll eyes too I answered that in the posting you quoted.

Don't get thick now rovert.... you didn't answer anything. You said he should just collect a paycheck and I asked you why he should do that when he has a chance to become the Undisputed Champion of the World, especially considering he just has to beat someone he already beat................seems like he'd want to be at 100% especially considering Lesnar's size, don't you think?

You didn't exactly give any good reason why he should cash in on one fight when a run as defending HW Champion would be more profitable than losing to Lesnar because you weren't 100%

Don't get thick now rovert.... you didn't answer anything. You said he should just collect a paycheck and I asked you why he should do that when he has a chance to become the Undisputed Champion of the World, especially considering he just has to beat someone he already beat................seems like he'd want to be at 100% especially considering Lesnar's size, don't you think?

You didn't exactly give any good reason why he should cash in on one fight when a run as defending HW Champion would be more profitable than losing to Lesnar because you weren't 100%

Mir may be replaced in the fight, Brock might lose, the opportunity for them to fight for the undisputed title may never come up again and Mir would lose out on that massive paycheck as well as the participation in possibly the biggest UFC match ever

As it stands, it doesn't look like Frank will be out long enough for it to be worth replacing him in the fight. Although it increases the chances that the UFC's biggest draw will only have two fights this year. I'm sure they were hoping to squeeze in three

Im not getting thick. I already answered your question and did give a good reason in what I originally wrote:

I really dont see the problem in what I wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Okay, So Dana white says he knows nothing about the injury and thats why its still on the card as Lesner vs Mir. But if Mir cant compete what does the ufc do? Take lesner off the card or replace Mir?

Looking at the Heavyweight Roster for UFC they dont have many options when you consider that, Gonzaga and Carwin fight tonight, Kongo fights at 97, Velasquez is down to fight Herring at 99. Nog vs Couture is penciled in for 101.

Do you give Junior Dos Santos a crack at Lesner? Put Nog in against him or bring in someone for outside the UFC????

liger wrote: »
    Okay, So Dana white says he knows nothing about the injury and thats why its still on the card as Lesner vs Mir. But if Mir cant compete what does the ufc do? Take lesner off the card or replace Mir?

Looking at the Heavyweight Roster for UFC they dont have many options when you consider that, Gonzaga and Carwin fight tonight, Kongo fights at 97, Velasquez is down to fight Herring at 99. Nog vs Couture is penciled in for 101.

Do you give Junior Dos Santos a crack at Lesner? Put Nog in against him or bring in someone for outside the UFC????

There'll be an announcement at the show tonight. Mir says that he can't train for six weeks, so they could probably just postpone the fight for a month if they wanted. Unlikely, as that show's in Germany. More likely it'll headline UFC 100 in July

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Fozzy wrote: »
    There'll be an announcement at the show tonight. More likely it'll headline UFC 100 in July

Well i just hope Mir gives it a right amount of time to heal because i'd hate for people to be saying the only reason Lesner beat him was that he wasnt 100%. If lesner wins that is.

liger wrote: »
    Well i just hope Mir gives it a right amount of time to heal because i'd hate for people to be saying the only reason Lesner beat him was that he wasnt 100%. If lesner wins that is.

I wonder if on a bad leg he'll ever get into the cardio shape he was in for his last fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I wonder if on a bad leg he'll ever get into the cardio shape he was in for his last fight.

I don't think Mir will need much cardio for that fight. Another 1st round submission win on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

They said last night it will be Rashad Evans vs Rampage instead of Lesnar vs Mir at UFC 98..and Mir vs Lesnar will headline UFC 100

I don't think Mir will need much cardio for that fight. Another 1st round submission win on the cards.

More like a first round TKO if you catch my drift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

So Mir V Lesnar two gets penciled in for UFC 100 - and Rampage has to step up to the plate again in a short space of time...hmm...seeing as Page said that he felt "over-trained" for Jardine he may have a hard time balancing his training schedule for what is a massive fight for him against Rashad. He will have earned it if he can pull it off.

Maynard wrote: »
    So Mir V Lesnar two gets penciled in for UFC 100 - and Rampage has to step up to the plate again in a short space of time...hmm...seeing as Page said that he felt "over-trained" for Jardine he may have a hard time balancing his training schedule for what is a massive fight for him against Rashad. He will have earned it if he can pull it off.

If he doesnt UFC still owe Rampage a favour for saving the day again hardly a win win siutation but close enough.

Advertisement