Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heuston South Quarter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

1logical wrote: »
    ..also dont like the gas works, not a great build quality or location imo..

Agreed - I have been in both and HSQ is finished a hell of a lot better. The only upside is the gasworks address which is Dublin 4 but the area is no great shakes. The Dublin 4 address will add value though. Dublin 8 will subtract it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

On average the rent paid over 3 years will be 50,000 and will be going straight against the cost of the unit. All I know if I pay 50,000 worth of mortgage repayments over the next 3 years only around 5,000 if even will be going off the capital.

Are you sure thats the case. They will deduct 50,000 as capital and not 5000.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

kmick wrote: »
    The Dublin 4 address will add value though. Dublin 8 will subtract it though.

meh. You'd not have said that 10 years ago about Irishtown and Ringsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭peter83

"If the occupier elects to purchase the apartment, then the two months security deposit together with all rent paid can be used by them as part of the purchase price on the contract." - Taken from HSQ rent to purchase advertisement.

In relation to D4 adding value, I can't see that being the case in relation to the Gasworks location.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

peter83 wrote: »
    In relation to D4 adding value, I can't see that being the case in relation to the Gasworks location.

You'd be surprised.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 1logical

So People......

Anyone gone through with the rent 2 purchase yet? or gettin cold feet?
    what i mean by gone through with is deposits,legals.signing..... not actually moving in!

I'm still considering it, haven't signed anything yet but haven't pulled out either and don't have any new concerns about it.
    I'm sure most people will be reluctant from saying on here if they're going through with it or not, they'll just be attacked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Smurffan

Agree Peter!! Though must admit have pulled out myself....just not worth risk for me....getting it difficult to get my booking deposit back however!!:mad:

I'm not surprised they're making that difficult. In fact I'm surprised they're not offering you something to change your mind!!
    Just hound them everyday, they'll soon get fed up and rush it back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

@peter, @smurffan

How willing to negotiate the price were they?

Thanks

• Advertisement

@kelter
    They're not willing to negotiate at all or least they haven't been with me anyway.

@smurffan
    Are they saying they're not giving your deposit back or are they just dragging their heels on returning it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Smurffan

Peter, Kelter
    no negociation on cost at all with me! Got deposit back today though at least.
    Still think it's a great idea in theory and they are lovely apts....just a shame total price not more competitive.

Good luck to anyone going ahead with it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

@Smurffan I agree totally with you on the idea, location and appartments. Afraid I also agree with you on the price. I was hoping to hear that they would knock 25% off and we might have plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 1logical

Just noticed Hooke and mcdonald have 2 bed apartments to rent in the hsq for €1200. Where the same apartment on the rent to buy scheme is about €1350-1450. And id imagine the tenants are getting them furnished to include blinds etc. rather than a do it yourself 3 grand ikea voucher. aslo a 12 month contract with 1 months rent rather than being chased around for 2.
    I was sure i was going for this though dont like seeing things like this!!!!! Doesnt fill me with confidence :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭uncanny

*** THERE'S NEVER BEEN A WORSE TIME TO BUY ***

The bubble's well and truly burst
    The emporer is bollock naked and it's not a pretty sight
    Unemployment is headed for 20% next year
    Another savage budget to come in October
    Don't try to catch the falling knife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

spockety wrote: »
    Please post regular updates on how that goes for you. It will make for fascinating reading.

:eek:
    some times i wish i could thank twice

Just noticed Hooke and mcdonald have 2 bed apartments to rent in the hsq for €1200. Where the same apartment on the rent to buy scheme is about €1350-1450. And id imagine the tenants are getting them furnished to include blinds etc. rather than a do it yourself 3 grand ikea voucher. aslo a 12 month contract with 1 months rent rather than being chased around for 2.
    I was sure i was going for this though dont like seeing things like this!!!!! Doesnt fill me with confidence :confused::confused::confused:

If you read the actual advertisement in full you'll notice that it says from €1200 per month which is exactly what the rent to buy scheme quoted. This apartment doesn't include parking either. They put the low price there to suck people in and then when you actually show interest you'll be told that a 2 bedroom is more than €1200.
    I would also put money on the fact that by furnished they mean the kitchen appliances that come as standard in the rent to buy.
    The majority of Heuston South Quarter rentals on daft are €1500 or more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

peter83 wrote: »
    If you read the actual advertisement in full you'll notice that it says from €1200 per month which is exactly what the rent to buy scheme quoted. This apartment doesn't include parking either. They put the low price there to suck people in and then when you actually show interest you'll be told that a 2 bedroom is more than €1200.
    I would also put money on the fact that by furnished they mean the kitchen appliances that come as standard in the rent to buy.
    The majority of Heuston South Quarter rentals on daft are €1500 or more.

If you go on the internet- you can rent a 2 bed there @ 1150 example here (inclusive of 2 parking spaces and numerous other inducements) and its not an isolated advertisement.

The majority of adds on DAFT may be at the 1300-1350 level- but if you contact the owners- in most cases they are satisfied to accept anything north of 1k (ring a few at random to confirm this).

The developer is also willing to rent units with parking (totally aside from the buy-to-rent scheme) at 1000 per month (they can be contacted via Hooke and McDonald on Baggott Street, Dublin 2).

People- do your own investigations- do not automatically accept anything at face value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Nomad81

This was one of the things I was keen to see when I had a look around at HSQ. It's probably the last straw that's going to kill this rent2buy thing completely.

Then again, some people might still think it's a good buy for their own circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Small Change

uncanny wrote: »

The bubble's ...........
    ..................... falling knife

Eh, maybe 12 months ago????:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    If you go on the internet- you can rent a 2 bed there @ 1150 example here (inclusive of 2 parking spaces and numerous other inducements) and its not an isolated advertisement.

This advertisement says parking is optional, it doesn't mention 2 parking spaces.
    The majority of adds on DAFT may be at the 1300-1350 level- but if you contact the owners- in most cases they are satisfied to accept anything north of 1k (ring a few at random to confirm this).

Of 12 properties in HSQ listed on daft, only 4 are below 1300 mark and one of them is 1 bed.
    Mainly 3 beds listed and all of those are over 2000.
    The developer is also willing to rent units with parking (totally aside from the buy-to-rent scheme) at 1000 per month (they can be contacted via Hooke and McDonald on Baggott Street, Dublin 2).

This is an interesting one, I'll definitely be calling them to enquire about this. If this is the case then they are pretty much killing their own little scheme and I will be more than a little shocked if they are doing themselves this kind of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ringleader

I got an apartment there on the rent2buy scheme, and I'm in 5 weeks now.
    Have to say, it's simply awesome.

Noise/space:
    Can't hear a damn thing once the windows are closed, it's so well insulated.
    And the apartment is seriously roomy, with thought about storage space gone into it. It's hard to find apartments with sufficient storage space.

Insulation:
    If you know anything about Building Energy Ratings (BER), these are A2 or so. Most houses would be C and below. The savings in heating alone are worth it.

Rent prices:
    Other lower priced apartments are cheaper because they're absolute dumps.
    The only place I saw in the 4 months of my apartment hunt that were halfway decent were €1400 without a parking space (which would have been €100 extra everywhere).

Dust/Builders:
    I can see the builders in the other apartments, but can't hear a thing from them. The builders have shoe covers if they want to go into a finished building, and they use them all the time.

Occupancy:
    My building has at least 2 out of the 3 apartments on each floor gone already, and someone living in them.

Snag List:
    I got a snag list professionally done by a guy in the trade for 30 years, and there was only 3 very minor things (things I wouldn't even have noticed) left to be done.
    His comment was that he'd never in all his years seen a place so well done and with such attention to detail.

There's nothing bad about this scheme at all.
    Prices schmices - like a previous poster said: by the time I get around to looking for mortgage approval, I'll already have about €65k-80k off it.
    Or I can just walk away.

Oh, and the balcony I have could fit another double bedroom on it. It's complete with fake grass and sockets if you want to have a barbeque (or cut the grass ;)).

Truly nothing to complain about with it. And so damn central I can drive over to the American Embassy in 15 minutes in the morning, but not so central that it's not peaceful.

Edit: what definitely would have been mad is paying the €510,000 for the apartment last November 2008, since they're €425,000ish now.
    The developers cannot and will not sell below the actual cost of the apartment to them. I don't think prices will drop far too much lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I'm glad to hear it's working out for you, Ringleader.

I just want to disagree with two of your points.
    ringleader wrote: »
    Rent prices:
    The only place I saw in the 4 months of my apartment hunt that were halfway decent were €1400 without a parking space (which would have been €100 extra everywhere).
    I just signed the lease last weekend on a 3 bed, top-floor apartment at the junction of donnybrook and ranelagh. Comes with parking and heating included. It's lovely, and it was only 1200 euro. It was asking a good bit more of course, but it wasn't renting at that so they agreed to 1200 euro per month.
    So, I have to disagree with your appraisal of the current rental situation, number of rental properties are at an all time high.
    The developers cannot and will not sell below the actual cost of the apartment to them. I don't think prices will drop far too much lower.

Also not true. Developers CAN sell below the actual cost of the apartment, and while i don't know about this particular development, I am certain that many apartments will be sold well below cost price in the coming years.

Either the developers will be forced to sell them for what they can get, or whoever gets their assets after they go bankrupt will sell them for what they can get. Leaving them sitting idle while in a falling market is not business sense.

Some developers may manage to not sell anything for below cost. I don't know which developer that'd be though, certainly the court proceedings against a number of the big guys, like Dunne, Carroll and Kelly wouldn't suggest they're in that amazingly sturdy a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Based on this logic, all property owners would not sell their properties for less than they bought them for. But we know that they do. And developers are currently suffering from the same financial pressures that all businesses are under. Sooner or later, the banks will want some cash.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

I got an apartment there on the rent2buy scheme, and I'm in 5 weeks now.
    Have to say, it's simply awesome.

Noise/space:
    Can't hear a damn thing once the windows are closed, it's so well insulated.
    And the apartment is seriously roomy, with thought about storage space gone into it. It's hard to find apartments with sufficient storage space.

Insulation:
    If you know anything about Building Energy Ratings (BER), these are A2 or so. Most houses would be C and below. The savings in heating alone are worth it.

Rent prices:

Dust/Builders:
    I can see the builders in the other apartments, but can't hear a thing from them. The builders have shoe covers if they want to go into a finished building, and they use them all the time.

Occupancy:
    My building has at least 2 out of the 3 apartments on each floor gone already, and someone living in them.

Snag List:
    I got a snag list professionally done by a guy in the trade for 30 years, and there was only 3 very minor things (things I wouldn't even have noticed) left to be done.
    His comment was that he'd never in all his years seen a place so well done and with such attention to detail.

There's nothing bad about this scheme at all.
    Prices schmices - like a previous poster said: by the time I get around to looking for mortgage approval, I'll already have about €65k-80k off it.
    Or I can just walk away.

Oh, and the balcony I have could fit another double bedroom on it. It's complete with fake grass and sockets if you want to have a barbeque (or cut the grass ;)).

Truly nothing to complain about with it. And so damn central I can drive over to the American Embassy in 15 minutes in the morning, but not so central that it's not peaceful.

Edit: what definitely would have been mad is paying the €510,000 for the apartment last November 2008, since they're €425,000ish now.

Well written Irish Times-Property Supplement article :D. And good luck with your purchase. Welcome to world of NE.
    Do you know developers actual cost? What's next lotto number by the way ;). In a system where selling prices are confidential, how do we know actual cost. And yes businessmen do sell products below actual cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Wildela

Refreshingly positive outlook, Ringleader. I too have comitted to a 2 bed in this scheme, and am eagerly awaiting occupation in early june. Were you given the keys as per the advertised date, or were there any delays? (bit worried about it not being ready for early june). I too cannot fault the scheme, and designed as 'homes', not just pokey overvalued hovels. Looking forward to swinging many cats on the ample balcony!! See u round neighbour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 How low?

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice. I recently got offered an apartment in this scheme through DCCs affordable housing. Myself and my partner are trying to work out if we should go with it or not? I'd love to hear some thoughts. Here are the details.

It's as I said a 3 bed, with parking, around 85sqm and has a fantastic view facing on to military road i.e. So no where near the building site at the back.

The Good

The apartment itself we are delighted with. We've looked at a few, castleforbes, Docklands etc... This one honestly SEEMs to be of the highest satandard I've seen, and we've seen a lot of new and old. Doesn't appear to be any of the usual corners skipped.

Also you'd expect the location, being around Heuston to be less than nice. Nothing could be further from the truth, all lovely garden/park land in by IMMA is stunning. Military road too with the nice tree overhang wouldn't seem out of place in the country side. I've been talking to the on-site security gaurds and they agree that they have the cushiest job ever. No hassles.

That side of the city suits us personally.

The transport links are top notch and in the future if that interconeector is ever built, st.stephens green will be 5 minutes away.

Also if the site is developed and occupied as envisaged, then there will be plenty offered. Including access to those IMMA gardens directly.

The Bad.

The managemenrt fees are 3050 for a 3 bed!!!!!! Like my god. Any opinions on this? I'm not sure yet as to the break down, but my God!!! Even in the silly times of 2006 this would be questioned!

Uncertainty over tennants. Eircom have occupied that fairly nice building to the front. Will Eircom be arond forever, not exactly in great shape now are they?
    I have confirmation that the Merriot have pulled out of the 4 star hotel build.

As of last September. I hear the Brunel is let to some financial company, which could be good news.

SuperQuinn still claim (Jan 09) to be occupying the main building in september, but will they? Also if they do will the place be affected negatively by the shoppers. Considering that area is absolutely crying out for a superquinn/dunnes/tesco type place.

No one seems to know about Starbucks?

The site the oter side of military road is owned by the same crowd that did Spence dock. Something holdings. If/When they build, will it be a building site for 10 years and then be even higher rise. Blocking out all my sun light in the morning?

The downward trend in property prices:

Probably the main one for us (with the management fees). Will the price fall below 300,000? It's currently valued at 450,000 I believe, which is over the odds. I imagine it's worth 400,000 (currently). So is it worth getting in to the whole 20 year claw back affordable housing lock in. I.E if I wait 2 years, will I get a property for less than that in this development?

The poor rent yield in the area, which of course could rise in ten years if the development of the west side of the city preoves successfull. None the less it is poor now.

The fact that the Dublin 8 address historically doesn't command the resale prices of a D4 address.

So bottom line guys, as this is a Massive decision for us I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this. What would you do in our situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 How low?

Just to be clear it's offered at 300,000 and valued at 450,000

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Do you think it would fetch €450,000 if sold on the open market today?

• Advertisement

How low? wrote: »

SuperQuinn still claim (Jan 09) to be occupying the main building in september, but will they? Also if they do will the place be affected negatively by the shoppers. Considering that area is absolutely crying out for a superquinn/dunnes/tesco type place.

No one seems to know about Starbucks?

So bottom line guys, as this is a Massive decision for us I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this. What would you do in our situation?

Superquinn have signed on so if they do pull out they will face legal implications. I'm guessing they'll go ahead. If they don't then you can be guaranteed that at least one of the supermarket chains will jump in there. Any grocery store in the development will make good money. As I said though, Superquinn have signed and so I can't see them pulling out.

Starbucks is a definite no, they are not developing their Irish business any further at present. There is another coffee chain in discussions though.

As for management fees, that is scandalous, I would argue that one and see what happens. Get it reduced, they want to sell these apartments, not leave them idle and so that puts you at a good advantage.

It is big decision but you've just got to decide if you're willing to take a risk and deal with the outcome in the end whether it be good or bad.

Myself and my partner are moving in at the start of July. We're doing the rent to purchase scheme. It could turn out bad but then it could turn out really good and having assessed our situation, we don't have that much to lose but could gain a lot in the long run. We can't wait to move in!!

Best of luck, whatever you decide and don't let the scaremongering on here make your decision for you :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement