Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS SQL to TAS/Sage/Quickbooks

Options
  • 06-03-2009 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Has anyone successfully imported sql data to any of the above accounting software? If so, how easy or hard was this job?

I program and maintain a system for a customer in SQL 2000 and VB6. We have invoicing, but functionality is limited in comparison to accounting software. I've been asked to import all the previous invoicing data stored in SQL Server to accounting software and recommend which accounting software to use. I'm very reluctant to do it as I've heard nothing but nightmare stories about importing data to accounting software.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Tas and Sage both have a csv file import facility. You do not have problems importing the data. Most problems occur because of a lack of understanding of the accounting structure or how the accounting software handles the data.

If you are going to install an accounting package then, regardless of which package, the most important task is to make sure you design an accounting structure, including a coding convention, which will provide the company with the management information they need to control the business. Note a structure which makes it easy to produce statutory accounts and simplifies the audit doesn't necessarily produce meaningful management information.

Just as an aside a recent job I did for a client was a system for sales and order processing because the accounting system couldn't cope with the company's hierarchical pricing model nor could it interface with the ready mix concrete plants on site or remote. The summary accounting information (not individual invoices and receipts) is fed into the accounting system using a csv file. The opening sales ledger information was exported from the accounting system

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Since you maintain the database and software you should know enough about the data to present it in a form Sage will understand.

I don't have experience with any of the other pages but Sage Line 50 does an alright job of sucking things in from CSV. The built in help tells you all you need to know about column formats. You could perhap make a DTS package that would query your data and output it in a comma separated file?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭charlo_b

Sage has an SDK available, it's a bit pricey but it works very well and is quite easy to use....

TAS also has a 3rd party solution, only one available, to my knowledge. It's available through Infoplex. it's a bit of a pain to set up initially to be honest, and cost about £200 per site but it works.

Quickbooks also has an SDK available, only used it once, free as far as i remember, and works fine.

I've used all three of them in the past and the Sage SDK is definately the nicest/easiest best supported of the three.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mayborn

Hi there, i've built a data transfer software for a company which uses the quickbooks sdk to transfer bookkeeping information invoices,expenses,journals,checks along with employee, supplier details from their inhouse CRM + Payroll bureau software built in mysql + php to about 200+ company files automatically.
    I started with qodbc which was quite easy to work with, then built a newer version in c#.net using quickbooks sdk. The project took a couple of months but can be done.

Advertisement