Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dvd recorder with UHF

• 06-03-2009 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

question:
    I recently bought a tv on amazon.co.uk only to realise that I had bought a UK model which didn't tune irish channels due to not having a UHF tuner. Anyways, lesson learnt. Now I have an amazon.co.uk voucher and was looking to buy a dvd recorder which would have a UHF tuner. On the amazon site they say features may vary depend on country so its hard to be sure if I buy a dvd recorder that I'll definitely get one that can tune in UHF.
    Was thinking of something like the following...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMR-EX78EB-K-Freeview-250GB-Recorder/dp/B0015M0MXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236379828&sr=8-1

.. but if anyone has bought a model off amazon.co.uk that tunes in UHF, I'd appreciate any info.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

bmcg wrote: »
    question:
    I recently bought a tv on amazon.co.uk only to realise that I had bought a UK model which didn't tune irish channels due to not having a UHF tuner. Anyways, lesson learnt. Now I have an amazon.co.uk voucher and was looking to buy a dvd recorder which would have a UHF tuner. On the amazon site they say features may vary depend on country so its hard to be sure if I buy a dvd recorder that I'll definitely get one that can tune in UHF.
    Was thinking of something like the following...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMR-EX78EB-K-Freeview-250GB-Recorder/dp/B0015M0MXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236379828&sr=8-1

.. but if anyone has bought a model off amazon.co.uk that tunes in UHF, I'd appreciate any info.
    DMR-EX58EB is the Irish model btw.
    What ever you chose make sure it's shown on that company Irish website

>Sol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

akaSol wrote: »
    DMR-EX58EB is the Irish model btw.

no, its DMR-EH58

anyway, its been replaced now with the DMR-EH59 now

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bmcg

Cheers for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Hi Big Moe.

Given that the new "Ireland-specific" DMR-EH59 offers limited functionality in Ireland (to the point where one might wonder why Panasonic bothered releasing it over here without an MPEG4 digital tuner), have you heard whether Panasonic will be releasing a HDD DVD recorder for Ireland, with an MPEG4 digital tuner?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark#1 wrote: »
    Given that the new "Ireland-specific" DMR-EH59 offers limited functionality in Ireland

limited in what way? its a model for over here that has a UHF/VHF tuner, the one in the UK has a freeview tuner (MPEG2) which is useless over here. with the irish version you can record from ntl/chorus analogue and any digital box as well.

they have no plans yet for a recorder with MPEG4 tuners for Ireland. but what they will have is the bu ray recorder that will feature an mpeg4 satellite and terrestrial tuner. they are also bringing out a dvd recorder version (and with blu ray PLAYBACk only), these will be released around May and there's no pricing as yet. as these are "UK" models, they wont have analogue irish tuners.

adam

• Advertisement

Limited in the way that you describe - a product with an analog tuner for a country that's moving to digital? I'm no businessman, but eh . . .

Thanks for the info on the new Pan products - can you post links to info on them?

Will the MPEG4 BD & DVD recorders have HDDs? When you say "mpeg4 satellite and terrestrial tuner", I presume that'll be a Freesat tuner, given that Panasonic's already been putting them in their TVs? I wonder if the terrestrial channels will share space in the Freesat EPG?

Thanks,

Mark

i hear where you're coming from with the digital tuner thing... BUT (!) as far as Ireland is concerned nothing has been launched yet in the way of digital transmission, its still only a trial transmission.

yeah the satellite tuner will be Freesat. not too sure about what way the EPG is going to be sorted..

here are the blu ray, the DVD recording version will be the same specs as the BS750 but just blu ray playback only

http://allianceelectric.ie/test/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_67

adam

Does this document not give Panasonic (and any other manufacturers) a clear & decisive spec for any DTT machine aimed at Ireland?

http://www.rtenl.ie/downloads/RTE-FTA-DTT-Receiver-Spec.pdf

Call me a conspiracy thoerist, but if the spec has been decided (and is unlikely to be changed), and the digital broadcasts are already widely available (albeit "tests", though again, nothing's likely to change, IIUC), where are the products?

Is there something else dictating the delay? Higher beings teasing out how best to cash-in on the changeover? Mechanisms being created to make it impossible or difficult for Paddy to buy perfectly suitable products cheaper from outside ROI? :cool: ;)

Mark

Mark, its all well and good that a few of us have the knowledge of what DTT is and yes the manufacturers have the knowledge as well. But if you ask the average Irish person what is DTT i'm sure they wont have a clue. This is why there isn't many manufacturers cashing in on it. The Irish market is getting smaller all the time anyway (people buying from the UK, Europe etc) so it's not really worth the manufacturers time and effort if there isn't enough people buying the product.

When RTE officially announce "Hey, DTT is here.. mpeg4 etc etc" then there'll be more of a push from the manufacturers of the format.

You're probably right. I guess folk who know are just keen to have the right gear. And we're all on the HE forum on boads . . . :rolleyes:

Mark

• Advertisement

exactly. i cant wait for one myself!

Advertisement