Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Various .22 bullets

Options
  • 06-03-2009 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before so feel free to redirect me. Recently back in the shooting game after a few years absence. Was mainly a shotgun (pheasent, duck) man with the .22 for the odd rabbit in the summer. Have been fascinated by all the material in past threads by various people describing the ballistics of the .22. Its an area I've no knowledge of. My experience of buying ammo was 'a box of low velocity bullets please' :)

Could anyone give me a rundown of the options open to me for various bullets and their advantages? Hollow point, ballistic tip, etc. I understand the high/low velocity concept (I think :confused:) Also not sure if we are allowed mention commercial brands on boards but if so which is the best?!:)

Presently shoot with a .22 Brno Farmer with a fairly decent Tasco sights. Rabbits/ carrion will be the main quarry with the lamping session during lambing!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

try cci velocitors.
    loaded with a speer gold dot hp.
    they reckon there is 30% more energy that any other .22 bullet

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Alzir

dem are a good bullet alright.
    or cci stingers.

hollow point will expand on impact with soft tissue and create a larger wound cavity.
    are also more safer as they break up on impact with hard surfaces, less likely to ricoshea

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

cheers lads, will pick up a box of them and give em a lash. Just a quick related question - should I resight the sights to new ammo or is there any need. Would there be a difference in range/drop off etc with a change in ammo. I mean is it only something to be concerned with bigger caliber rifles or would it be useful to do it here too. Oh and at what range? 50, 75 100 yards etc?! Nice wan!:)

SeaFields wrote: »
    cheers lads, will pick up a box of them and give em a lash. Just a quick related question - should I resight the sights to new ammo or is there any need. Would there be a difference in range/drop off etc with a change in ammo. I mean is it only something to be concerned with bigger caliber rifles or would it be useful to do it here too. Oh and at what range? 50, 75 100 yards etc?! Nice wan!:)

yes you will have to with the cci i recommended as they use a 40 gr bullet doing over 1400 fps ,very hard hitting will flatten a fox if you do your bit .
    with all rifles and bullets get to know the drop out to you max range .
    this can be done with 6 targets at 25 m intervals
    buy a batch at a time

Thanks jwshooter. Im guessing start at like 75 yards at work your way out? Gone fine open space to work in anyway. Reading some of the amateur and not so amateur (ex US snipers) testing done through various links here its something Im looking forward to practicing.

Have done in a few foxes at 50 yards, give or take, in last few seasons with random high velocity brands so I'm guessing getting to know bullet (for drop off/ accuracy) could improve things.

We live in hope:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Alzir wrote: »
    dem are a good bullet alright.
    or cci stingers.

hollow point will expand on impact with soft tissue and create a larger wound cavity.
    are also more safer as they break up on impact with hard surfaces, less likely to ricoshea

Is this true.. Cause im thinking of purchasing a .22 and was always worried about the ricoshea

the .22 is a big offender when it comes to ricochet , especially when using subs in with a mod on .
    if your worried about ricochets then shot is not safe in the first place .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I always found that the high velocity rounds group like a shotgun and I only use Eley subs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Yeah I use the eley subs too, they are a good reliable and reasonably accurate round. I have read that Lapua make a seriously accurate round for the .22, though I haven't tested it out yet. Don't underestimate the .22 caliber, they have enough energy to punch a hole in a 2" scaffolding plank at 100 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hazza

I've just got my hands on Lapua subs (€5.50/box in Cork) and hope to try them out next weekend.The eley subs are good too but are more expensive (€7.50) from my local dealer.

JW those cci velocitor sound good too - I suppose a mod is useless with these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Lapua make a few subsonic rounds, not all are suitable for hunting.
    I have a few boxes of Lapua Club which are subsonic but not HP.
    I must try those velocitors, I usually use Winchester subs as they seem to be the most accurate in my Anschutz.
    I find all HV stuff to be inferior in accuracy to subs, harder hitting but not as accurate.
    I suppose it depends on what you are doing with the rifle, foxes probably need HV 40gr, rabbits don't seem to mind 40gr subs :)

hazza wrote: »
    I've just got my hands on Lapua subs (€5.50/box in Cork) and hope to try them out next weekend.The eley subs are good too but are more expensive (€7.50) from my local dealer.

JW those cci velocitor sound good too - I suppose a mod is useless with these?

40gr bullet doing 1400+ not too bad for a .22 .
    i have no price on them but will find out
    but i like subs for bunnies with no mod on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

jwshooter wrote: »
    40gr bullet doing 1400+ not too bad for a .22 .
    i have no price on them but will find out
    but i like subs for bunnies with no mod on

yeah i agree, i also use them in my .22 Bruno i find them better than the stingers and they cost €6.50 per box of 50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) The emphasis on shooting rabbits should be on accuracy not power. If you are stalking ( as opposed to lying in wait ) then a silenced .22, shooting subsonics, zero'd at about 40 yards will yield far more wabbits than a lucky 70 yard shot.
    I use Eley subs for consistancy.Have you considered a good air rifle. ?

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jonoliver28

Hi Lads.
    I currently have a .22LR (Bruno)

I use the CCI Hyper velocity 40 grain rounds and they are the best in my opion if you want to shoot at about 150 Yards, just as good at 200 Yards, really no drop off at this distance, pack one hell of a punch

I tried some 32grain Remmington yellow points hyper velocity rounds at the weekend, little bit slower, but by jaysus they pack a hell of a punch, they are hollow points, filled a bread bin with sand and put on a sticky target and you should have seen the exit hold :eek:, big grin on my facwe when i had a luck, however they are just as loud even with a mod on, :D

only €6.50 a box of 50, the cci is €7.50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Hi Lads.
    I currently have a .22LR (Bruno)

I use the CCI Hyper velocity 40 grain rounds and they are the best in my opion if you want to shoot at about 150 Yards, just as good at 200 Yards,

id have to see it to belive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

just as good at 200 Yards,

Really?? Is there enough energy left to transfer exceptable hydroststic shock onto soft tissue at that range with such a small pill?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

pm. wrote: »
    id have to see it to belive it.

There was a post here before with a link to a guy into long range shooting who took a .22lr and shot a Turkey, which he wrapped in 2 sets of clothing, at 250 yards I think.

Surprising amount of damage

Still for your average Joe anything beyond 100 yards with a .22lr is a challenge so unless you have put in serious range time or practice (I'm sure some here have) then don't shoot at live things far away with smaller calibre firearms, its not big or clever as the the likelihood of wounding is very high. Not really directed at you PM just to anyone who is new to the sport and reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Just seems a little "Bobby Lee Swagger" to me.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hezz700 wrote: »
    Just seems a little "Bobby Lee Swagger" to me.:D

A little, its very bob lee, but the guys is shooting at inanimate objects (bread tin filled with sand) so you can hardly wing it :D. No harm in that really

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the advice lads. Got myself 100 cci stingers today and will try them out over next few days and let ye know how I get on.

And purely in the interest of science (:D) I will fire at a biscuit tin filled with sand and see what happens. Will post pics if the results prove interesting!

enjoy thats the beauty of the ole .22 .

you would have a pain in your nuts putting 20 euro s worth of bullets through it .

the recession proof caliber

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jonoliver28

Vegeta wrote: »
    A little, its very bob lee, but the guys is shooting at inanimate objects (bread tin filled with sand) so you can hardly wing it :D. No harm in that really

Give me a couple of days, and i will upload the pics, due to go out again on saturday and will take pics and set up again and show the results,

However its a small bread bin and filled with sand its still penetrates.
    just because its a small calibre does not mean it cant be done, however the remmingtons are absolute monster of a damage for a .22lr round?

Sorry lads, i dont think i mentioned it previously, but this is targeting at about 70yards or so

I do spend quite a lot of time target shooting, i get the bipod legs down and squeeze a few off every weekend, its a lot of a fun and even i, get amazed at what damage you can do, even more so at 100yards, :)

Result of my experiment today - filled a biscuit tin with gravel and put it out at about 70-80 yards. Put 5 cci stingers into it - 3 went straight through with an exit hole about 3 times the size of the entry.

On the ball JonOliver, its not "bob lee swagger" at all! As i said at the outset of this thread I don't have the greatest knowledge of rifle calibers, bullets, etc. (thats why I has to start the thread :D) is not the greatest but, judging by the reaction you got, the power of the .22 seems to be greatly underestimated. Its just very unfortunate that the accuracy at larger distances doesn't reflect the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭RichieRich

hi, have bought a .22 magnum and was wondering about best bullets for it, haven't recieved licence back yet but am curious as to what to buy. i see some of you advising to buy cci bullets for a .22, are they available for the magnum as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

As I said above I use Eley standard subs @€;5.50 and Lupua club @€;37.50 a brick both shoot the same with no change in zero, the Lupua are more dirty to handle that's all.

ALL the High velocity do not group well for me and I have tried them all. If you can't get 1" groups @50m all the time, every time, with the HV's then they are not good enough. IMHO only.

For rabbits you need to be able to hit the head for a good clean kill IMO. Again IMO an accurate round that groups well far exceeds any other round includung the HV's that won't group.

If you can get a HV round to group 12mm @50 then use it - I never could.
    I use the subs because I can get them to group under 12mm @50m all day long and that gives me the confidence to take the shot out to 100m.

I have the CZ style zeroed @75m for shooting in the fields.

That's the way I do it BUT all to their own.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

I use CCI Subs $12 per 100. I find these work better for me then the eley Subs. But best if you go to the range a try out the rounds and see what works best for your gun.

Advertisement