Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nav n Go - iGo8

Options
  • 07-03-2009 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭

After a bit of research, I've discovered that iGo8 is just software, as opposed to an off-the-shelf product you can touch n feel ala Garmin, Tom Tom etc, but how can I buy it, here in Ireland, say tomorrow morning? What products have it pre-installed for example?

I've seen the demo video's and its looks fantastic. The POI detail and 3D mapping is the best I've seen. I travel constantly, so the europe and US mapping detail is of particular interest.
    Do they have any 3D mapping for Ireland?

I'm amazed that searching iGo8 in this forum doesn't turn up a dedicated thread, so here it is

EDIT: p.s. I see they've now launched iGo Amigo, the latest n greatest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

sk8board wrote: »
    After a bit of research, I've discovered that iGo8 is just software, as opposed to an off-the-shelf product you can touch n feel ala Garmin, Tom Tom etc, but how can I buy it, here in Ireland, say tomorrow morning? What products have it pre-installed for example?

I've seen the demo video's and its looks fantastic. The POI detail and 3D mapping is the best I've seen. I travel constantly, so the europe and US mapping detail is of particular interest.
    Do they have any 3D mapping for Ireland?

I'm amazed that searching iGo8 in this forum doesn't turn up a dedicated thread, so here it is

EDIT: p.s. I see they've now launched iGo Amigo, the latest n greatest.

Think of iGo as the operating system for a GPS device. Different manufacturers would licence iGo and use it in their devices.

Looks like Navon use it:

http://www.gpsbusinessnews.com/CeBIT-Nav-N-Go-unveiled-iGo-Amigo-software_a1387.html

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

treat yourself to a quality satnav.....
    4.3 widescreen
    bluetooth
    igo8 included
    3D Buildings
    Lane assist / Signposts
    Speed Cams inc audible /visual warnings
    € 149

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2022604/art/airis/t945weu-gps-for-europe.html

524d2a57.png

Maps :
    https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/catalog?view=list&type=100&page=1&area=3

3D Buildings:
    https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/catalog?view=list&type=2_23&page=1&area=3

iGo8 Review :
    http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/navngo-igomyway8-review-hmnx4.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭sk8board

excellent, thanks eirlink

EDIT: by the way, whats the handsfree like? that is very important for me too, for the daily commute. I don't intend using both a car-kit AND satnav, just one.

My brother demo'ed his 760w garmin this evening, and the handfree is excellent, as is the quality.

i prefer to rely on seperate hands free.
    i will see if i can get my hands on one of these next week and then i can try the handsfree for you.

this unit, at this price is a steal....considering the quality of the hardware and the igo 8 is IMO by far the best sat nav software ive used.
    PLUS you are getting all of EUROPE mapping incl!

and believe me, ive used them all from time to time.

if you buy, you will not be disappointed.

sounds good to me TBH. My brother says 'whatever you get, get a Garmin', but he's never heard of any others bar TT and Garmin.

one last thing, whats the story with the mapping on the Airis, I assume its teleatlas. Are they up to the mark for Ireland? or what is the latest in the TA - NT maps for Ireland?

thanks

• Advertisement

afaik, its q4 2008 from navteq.
    the pixmania site does not state this..

i will be able to tell you more once i get my hands on one.

sounds good to me TBH. My brother says 'whatever you get, get a Garmin', but he's never heard of any others bar TT and Garmin.

one last thing, whats the story with the mapping on the Airis, I assume its teleatlas. Are they up to the mark for Ireland? or what is the latest in the TA - NT maps for Ireland?

thanks
    Garmin are indeed very good units., but i never warmed to their GUI. i much preferred Route 66 tilll i discovered igo. Now i wont use anything else.

anyway
    latest navteq is q4 2008 ( uk & ROI )

latest teleatlas is 825.2159 ( uk & ROI)

navteq best for ireland but the gap is getting smaller. Navteq have "driven " to collect their data, whereas TA complie it from various sources incl Government, Areial photos , Drive-bys and more curiously from customer feedback/ map corrections. the only aspect of this that does not worry me is the drive-by !

thats where NT have the edge.

If the Airis does indeed use NT mapping, then its a winner for sure.

If the Airis does indeed use NT mapping, then its a winner for sure.

well , managed to get a unit to test today, and its running Teleatlas. ( 2008.07) which is the latest i believe. ( perhaps ttireland can advise )

from what ive seen so far the mapping is BETTER than navteq. TA have more rural side roads mapped and seem to have more detail in urban areas. Also their spelling is far more accurate.
    I just wish Navteq would address their spelling... and TT improve their GUI

As regards townlands, well TA now have them included in this software. Albeit as dots in the centre of the road, with name above. They do not show up on the viewer bar on the bottom of the screen like navteq's do ( minor issue)

One thing to be aware of with the t945 is, the igo8 software is only 8.0.0.53054. the latest is 8.3.2.64873

{well actually there is a later one due shortly called "amigo" }

I managed to install POIS and Speedcams from 8.3 onto 8.0 but failed with some of the colour schemes ( they will install but wont load for some reason ) too knackered now to figure it out, will have a stab again.
    one difference i noticed is that 8.3 has the better looking signs ( exactly like blue ones on m50 ) while 8.0 has just lane assist.

pity i cannot take screenshots for you, but this baby is pretty well locked down. i wont even recognise active sync !

Quite impressed with teleatlas, let me tell you..despite my rants over on the tomtom thread. They are indeed making serious progress ( excuse the pun)

I had 2 units running igo8 running side by side on a drive today.
    Unit A running 8.3.2.64873 & Navteq , and unit B running 8.0.0.53054 & Teleatlas
    Both were in urban and rural envoirements....
    Navteq had coverage that TA were missing and TA had coverage that navteq were missing!!.

Hard one to call folks, but for now Teleatlas have their nose in front !

PS
    The 945 is still outstanding value when you consider that it covers so much of europe.

great review eirlink, thanks very much. ;)

• Advertisement

no probs....

just a little observation today, the 8.0.0.53054 has a 2 second delay "sometimes " when reaching a junction. I think its a bug in the software. Reason i think this is twofold:
    1. you cannot select a lower Baud rate in the gps setings cause autodetect picks the highest available to the port and
    2. I managed to get 8.3.2.64873 onto it running q4 2008 navteq maps and its as accurate as hell. ( checked and the gps runs at a lower Baud )

so i guess the CPU is not fast enough ( if busy ) to process the higher Baud from the SIRF 3.

Not something to worry about, just me being picky!

update
    setting the baud to auto "seems" to help ! or else drive slower !!

Advertisement