Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

$5 million 747-400

• 07-03-2009 12:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭

Air New Zealand are trying to offload a 747-400 for 10m NZ$ or about 5 million usd. good value?

Article in the FT today about mothballing white tailed airliners in Mojave and Arizona mentioned this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

I don't know! There are plenty of 747-400's mothballed at the moment and the number is increasing. The 777 is replacing the 747-400 on lots of routes now.

As I said on another thread, both Boeing and Airbus expect 50% of roll outs this year to be mothballed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Brilliant value, someone direct Mr O'Leary to this thread, he can paint her in FR Livery and on both sides of the Fuselage print the words "Discovered by Aviation & Aircraft members @ Boards.ie":pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Air New Zealand are trying to offload a 747-400 for 10m NZ$ or about 5 million usd. good value?

Article in the FT today about mothballing white tailed airliners in Mojave and Arizona mentioned this

Why? Thinking of buying :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Foggy43 wrote: »
    As I said on another thread, both Boeing and Airbus expect 50% of roll outs this year to be mothballed.
    I guess that would also include customers like FR.

The 400 series must be pushing on 15 years now, some now close to their sell by date so 5 Million may be about right for scrap value. Aer lingus paid just 10 Million for their 100 series brand new in 1970 . :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I guess that would also include customers like FR.

The 400 series must be pushing on 15 years now, some now close to their sell by date so 5 Million may be about right for scrap value. Aer lingus paid just 10 Million for their 100 series brand new in 1970 . :)
    10 million was a lot of sponz in 1970!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Without knowing the condition and maintenance status and age of the aircraft it is impossible to put a value on it. 15 years is not old for any aircraft. It is around the mid life mark and not its sell by date as was said earlier.

It sounds strange that a 15 year old B747-400 would go for as little as $5 million???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Depends. It might be due a C or D check or have other problems. Price sounds suspiciously low.

Steer clear guys ;):D

Advertisement