Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bulmers pear

Options
  • 07-03-2009 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

anyone tried it yet? Is it new or just a rebranding? I had a can tonight, it was pretty tasty, although probably just packed so full of sugar that you don't know what its supposed to be....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

there was some of it floating arouhd the office today, but i didn't get a swig
    the copperberg pear is pretty tasty so it must be the same
    lets home it's easiesly available at ep

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

not bad at all got 4 cans for €9 in my local last night. much cheaper than koppeerberg or rekordeling and is much nicer too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Is it Perry? Ritz was a Perry drink of the eighties. Don't know if thats still around. Used to get a mention in budgets regarding taxation as "cider and Perry".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Was trying to remember the name Ritz. I'm not entirely sure if its just a rebranding, was ritz made by bulmers? It tastes better than I remember ritz anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 I Love Tea

Yes Ritz was manufactured by Bulmers and still is as far as I'm aware. Bulmers Pear is a new drink to compete against the other pear ciders on the market

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

marbar wrote: »
    there was some of it floating arouhd the office today,

You have beer in your office. Pm'ing my CV :pac:

It's an obvious move for Bulmers to introduce. Kopperberg Pear is stocked in most supermarkets and off-licenses so it's obviously selling.
    In time they may copy the other flavors of the Kopperberg range.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Was it Bulmers as in our Bulmers (magners)? Or Bulmers as in the UK bulmers that was imported here?

Kopperberg is not a Cider (its an alcopop, even taxed as such I believe) so I would hope that if its made in clonmel that its actually a real Cider.
    Then again, Bulmers can not be a "real" cider as real cider is not sweet, its dry so they obviously add some sort of sugar to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

bulmers original irish pear cider. 4.5% abv in a quiet simular can to the standard cider. no sign of a bottle format being launched yet. and its quiet different to ritz. they couldn't scrap ritz with all the promotion they're giving it lately and the demand for the stuff at weddings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I Love Tea wrote: »
    Yes Ritz was manufactured by Bulmers and still is as far as I'm aware. Bulmers Pear is a new drink to compete against the other pear ciders on the market

Wow weren't Bulmers/Magners quick off the mark at coming up with that.
    Kopaberg took Ireland by storm about 6 or 7 years ago!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

I was at the launch party of the pear bulmers and it is quite tasty and much easier to drink for the night as there is no-where near as much sugar in it as koppaberg and they are looking at keeping it at the same price as bulmers as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭dougdub

Nicest pear cider by far!

Not as much sugar as Koppa as mentioned above.

Made in Clonmel so I'll be doing my bit for thr economy :)

4 for €6 in Tesco source:
    http://bargainspy.blogspot.com/2009/03/bulmers-pear-cider-4-for-6-tesco.html

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jeemojney

cider made from apples
    perry made from pears
    pear cider = marketing jargon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Hopefully this will dig C&C out of the hole they're currently in.
    jeemojney wrote: »
    cider made from apples
    perry made from pears
    pear cider = marketing jargon
    Actually I believe all three are distinct. I don't think Kopparberg pear is a perry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Is it Perry? Ritz was a Perry drink of the eighties. Don't know if thats still around. Used to get a mention in budgets regarding taxation as "cider and Perry".

I had Ritz on monday, it is not that nice, not nearly as sweet as Koppaberg which is almost intolerably sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

Bulmers probably panicked when Kopparberg Pear came along and rushed this out. Kopparberg Pear rules!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭VODKA-MAN

after having tried nearly all the pears,i would still say kopp is nicer then the bulmers...

my favourite is kopp anyway,along with Herrljunga pear cider

I'm not that mad on Kopperberg, its just alcohol with flavouring added, if the bulmers pear is actually made from pear (which seems to be the case) then I'd favour it just for that. Plus I think its a little cheaper. Anyways I liked it that night I tried it but still a bit more than I like to pay for cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

if the bulmers pear is actually made from pear (which seems to be the case).

I suspect not, its pear cider which usual means a cider with pear flavor. I would love to see the prove if it a true Perry. As far as I have been told there just is not enough grown of a commercial operation out side the like of westons in the UK. But I could be wrong

When you say cider with pear flavour do you mean a drink that is made from apple (bulmers cider?) that then has pear flavour added, or same as kopperberg, alcohol with pear flavouring added?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Commercial cider, which is usually diluted down and back sweetened and possible in this case pear flavor or concentrate added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Magners (Bulmers) Pear is yum. Mad cheap in the pubs up here too at the min. I find it a lot sweeter than Kopparberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Had a can of it a week ago and have to say...it's yum. Really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm not that mad on Kopperberg, its just alcohol with flavouring added, if the bulmers pear is actually made from pear (which seems to be the case) then I'd favour it just for that.
    oblivious wrote: »
    I suspect not, its pear cider which usual means a cider with pear flavor.
    I think it is made with just pears. That is what the TV ads certainly infer, and the ads do even seem to be having a dig at kopparberg for this reason.

I am still pissed off and confused as to why alcohol companies do not have to list their ingredients.

AFAIK kopparberg is really more like an alco pop. I think they just brew up sugar water, then charcoal filter it to make a base "wine", and then add fruit juices etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

rubadub wrote: »
    That is what the TV ads certainly infer
    The TV ads imply that it's made by humans in some sort of unhygenic barn, rather than the mechanised and sterile stainless steel environment that's closer to the truth.

Alcohol companies can list their ingredients if they want to. Those that don't are hiding something from you. Don't drink their stuff if this sort of thing concerns you.

BeerNut wrote: »
    The TV ads imply that it's made by humans in some sort of unhygenic barn, rather than the mechanised and sterile stainless steel environment that's closer to the truth.
    Yep, like the budwieser "beechwood aged" for a few seconds as the beer passes down metal tubes with wood stuck in them. There are a few ads for the new cider, one has a lad who I think is meant to be on a blind date walking into a bar, IIRC they clearly are saying it is made with nothing with pears. It stuck out in my mind, as I said it seemed like a sly dig at kopparberg.
    Alcohol companies can list their ingredients if they want to. Those that don't are hiding something from you. Don't drink their stuff if this sort of thing concerns you.
    Tesco have ingredients their alcohol, very few others do. I know they can list them if they want, but the other fear/issue is since they do not have to list them then if they do put on a list it might not have to comply with the usual standards. i.e. they can probably omit stuff from the list that they do not want to declare. They might also not have to list in order of greatest ingredients first. People could have allergies to something, many spirits contain glycerin and sugar which people might not realise.
    Don't drink their stuff if this sort of thing concerns you.
    Well the lawmakers thought it was important enough to have this "sort of thing", listed on food. I just cannot understand why alcohol was left out. If it is so important for food then why exclude them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yep, like the budwieser "beechwood aged" for a few seconds as the beer passes down metal tubes with wood stuck in them.
    Ehhhctually, it's a small pile of beech sawdust that the beer is dumped on. It acts as a flocculant to separate out undesireables (y'know, flavour, and suchlike).
    they clearly are saying it is made with nothing with pears.
    Is this one of the UK ads? There seems to be a whole different campaign there and I haven't seen many of them. I'll watch out for that.
    if they do put on a list it might not have to comply with the usual standards. i.e. they can probably omit stuff from the list that they do not want to declare.
    Interesting point. I think, however, once you have a paragraph that begins "Ingredients" it has to list all the ingredients, and in order too.
    I just cannot understand why alcohol was left out. If it is so important for food then why exclude them.
    Indeed. The European Beer Consumers' Union has produced a manifesto for the European Elections, including a demand for mandatory ingredients listing. You can print the manifesto here to give to canvassers, and ask any MEP who calls your way why they've put this stupid exemption in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Tried this a few weeks ago on tap. Actually quite pleasant. I always enjoy a Bulmers after an overdose of beer, but think I'll be sticking to the apple. Got this thing in my mind that tells me the pear one is more artificial. I could be wrong on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

tippguy wrote: »
    bulmers original irish pear cider. 4.5% abv in a quiet simular can to the standard cider. no sign of a bottle format being launched yet. and its quiet different to ritz. they couldn't scrap ritz with all the promotion they're giving it lately and the demand for the stuff at weddings etc.

They have released it in both long neck and pint bottle format here. Seen both types at the launch. Not really gone on it at all both I didn't like the koppa version either.

• Advertisement

Is this one of the UK ads? There seems to be a whole different campaign there and I haven't seen many of them. I'll watch out for that.
    Yeah, magners pear. This is the one, definitely claiming 100% pear.

Advertisement