Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bulmers pear

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Sounds like mcdonalds 100% beef burgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

jeemojney wrote: »
    cider made from apples
    perry made from pears
    pear cider = marketing jargon
    Sean_K wrote: »
    Actually I believe all three are distinct. I don't think Kopparberg pear is a perry.

Yup. Kopparberg is just a pear cider like Ritz, Bulmers Pear and a few others.

Perry is specifically made from perry pears and includes Babycham (for the ladies;)) and Lambrini. Growing the perry pear seems to be in decline lately.

The Bulmers Pear is too sugary in taste imo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

rubadub wrote: »
    definitely claiming 100% pear.
    Well it's obviously not 100% pear. There'll be water in there, and a preservative. The percentage must refer to fruit content -- it's qualified at one point saying pear is "the only fruit".

Which leaves them open to have lots of non-fruit fermentables in it as well: bucketloads of added sugar, both fermented and non-fermented, making it an alcopop, just like regular Bulmers "cider".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It's standard misleading advertising practice.
    "Made from 100% pears",
    as opposed to "100% made from pears".

All there needs to be is a little bit of pear, and that statement's true.

Edit: Found a list of ingredients for Normal Bulmers:

hard cider, sugar, malic acid, sulfites to preserve
    freshness, colours added, lightly carbonated.

One of the ingredients is cider? That's a bit disconcerting.

Blisterman wrote: »
    One of the ingredients is cider? That's a bit disconcerting.
    Yep: while it says cider on the label, a more accurate description would be "cider with a whole lot of other things we don't have to tell you about".

Cider and perry, according to the 2003 Finance Act, are:
    beverage exceeding 1.2% vol but not exceeding 15% vol, obtained from the fermentation of apple or pear juice and without the addition of—

(a) any other alcoholic beverage, or

(b) any other beverage or substance which imparts colour or flavour and which, by such addition in the opinion of the Commissioners significantly alters the character of the product;

As far as I know, David Llewellyn is the only person commercially producing pure cider in Ireland, and it's a bugger to get hold of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Blisterman wrote: »
    It's standard misleading advertising practice.
    "Made from 100% pears",
    as opposed to "100% made from pears".
    And then the bastards have the gall to open the add with "don't you hate being misled":rolleyes:
    Commissioners significantly alters the character of the product
    Bit the comissioners have probably do not know what the character should be like, if it is so hard to find real actual cider, I doubt any have tasted it.

There was a fella in temple bar farmers market used to sell apple juice and cider, dunno if it was "real".

Free samples in some pubs http://www.embracethepear.com/bulmers/

rubadub wrote: »
    There was a fella in temple bar farmers market used to sell apple juice and cider, dunno if it was "real".
    His name's David Llewellyn, and yes it is. After the Revenue kicked his door in (the case was subsequently thrown out of court) he's very careful about how he sells it. He says you can buy a case from him over the phone and collect it at the market, but the civilised days of buying good food and a bottle of cider at the Temple Bar Market of a Saturday are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Has anyone had it on tap or pint bottle yet? I've only found cans and long-necks. I much prefer it to apple and unlike apple, I don't find a difference between bottles and cans

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Only had it in can so far. On Fri though I'll be having it on tap and possibly long neck too. Love it though.

BeerNut wrote: »
    His name's David Llewellyn, and yes it is. After the Revenue kicked his door in (the case was subsequently thrown out of court) he's very careful about how he sells it.
    Ah, so was the guy you mentioned earlier. I only spoke to him once there, I was actually asking him what the deal was with duty and he was smilingly coy about it ;)

Before that I had asked a woman before about it who was selling it and she said it was "all sorted" but knew nothing about it all, and just sold it. The next time I had to ask them for it and a bottle came out of nowhere, so I kept my mouth shut.

I was genuinely interested in the whole setup, since years ago I saw a program where I think in galway, (at least somewhere west) a guy had his own vineyard or was making some sort of wine. He was exempt from duty as it was a tourist attraction and he only made so much and kept employment going.

I do remember in a homebrew magazine free in easons a place in the UK had a similar setup, but they were done when it was found they were brewing wine from kits!, they had the same deal "our vineyard can only produce X litres per year", but they were churning out the stuff to tourists by the gallon! I think the kit company made a marketing point of it too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I've only had one can and i thought it tasted artificial,like loads of chemicals and fizz and not in a nice way like coke! maybe it was a bad can.

it might be nice on tap with ice on a hot day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Tasted it and it's grand. Not a big fan of such sugary alco drinks though. From what I've been seeing though the majority of people buying it are normally Bulmers drinkers anyways.

More misleading marketing is the whole "pears are new to bulmers" thing. Ritz is made by bulmers! I can only imagine they want to get lads drinking it. Because of advertising ritz became a "girls drink", along with satzenbrau. This is really puzzling to me since before the arrival of foreign beers, (and still in many pubs) satzenbrau and ritz are the strongest drinks available.

Many people do not even know satzenbrau is a beer, yet have slagged me for drinking "girlie drinks", then the same ignorant assholes cleaned out a free bar we were at when they found out it was a high strength beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

Had a few bottles of it last week end and ended up up with severe gas back and front! One of my mates said the same thing happened to him (he compared it to having a few cans of beans). Will stick to apple version!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Hi, I hate bulmers cider (apple), But the pear is a total new experience!! Long may it last!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Tried a half can. Couldn't even taste the pear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Tried a half can. Couldn't even taste the pear.
    Totally agree with you. Its just watered down koppaberg. Really bad stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Mrs Gurramok who is a dedicated loyal Bulmers drinker for years can only manage one pint of this stuff and reverts to the Bulmers Light!

There is something in that drink that makes it taste and drink good for first time but never after a few pints just like the AH thread about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Seriously, this stuff is Kids booze. And the sugar in it is sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Saucey-Susie

bulmers pear cider has a laxative side effect so they are doing a product recall..

they are doing a product recall..
    And, in a bold move, are eschewing media outlets such as the national press and their own website; relying instead on the Boards.ie booze forum -- one of the world's chief sources of reliable food safety information.

bulmers pear cider has a laxative side effect so they are doing a product recall..

Proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gordo.sands

Proof?

It does have laxative effects, that was in the newspaper. But i work in a bar and there has been no recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 bridigo

http://www.bulmers.ie/about-us/pear-faqs.asp
    made from 100% Pear Juice
    Is a pear cider, not a perry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Its absolute dirt, only had one can of it to date. IMHO.. it doesnt taste of pear in the slightest, way way too sweet.. and this is coming from a bulmers/strongbow/devils bit/stonehouse drinker :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

7. Where are Pears sourced from?

Europe......

sorry where exactly?

What gets me is:
    C&C wrote:
    The Bulmers Pear recipe is a safely guarded secret.
    'Cos if you knew what we actally put in here we'd have real trouble keeping up the sheds-and-orchards image in our advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

I like it

Advertisement