Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i'm interesting in writing a play.am i deluded?

Options
  • 07-03-2009 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

hey all

i really enjoy plays, reading and seeing. ive suddenly got this incredible urge to put some ideas on paper, develop a play. i have no interest in acting but am i off my head thinking this is possible without any training etc. surely a playwright is about creatively ideas and characters and in as such is about imagination

help or advice appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

observer wrote: »
    i'm interesting in writing a play
    observer wrote: »
    creatively ideas

Make sure you get someone to check the grammar.........

Aside from my snide, snobby remarks, I reckon you should go for it. It's probably gonna come out crap at first, given you've no real experience, but then you just gotta re-read and edit the balls off it until it's something you're happy with. Maybe consider taking a course in creative writing/stage writing? Can't hurt. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yup, I'd agree. Go for it :)
    You don't have to write your first one for anyone but yourself, but obviously if it is a play, the final outcome, I would hope, would be to share it.
    If you take some kind of a structural course in playwrighting or even read a good book on it, it will make it even more rewarding.

Try to finish it. Even if you get fed up mid way. Maybe start with a one act with a couple of characters. When you are finished, leave it for a few days. Re-read it, and have a trusted friend read it, then work on it again. Staged readings are a good way to hear stuff. If it's your first, invite a few mates over to read it aloud (ply them with tea and biccies/wine for AFTER!).
    You'd be amazed how different stuff can become from an idea to paper, paper to voice, voice to stage etc.

Good luck, when it comes to creativity, go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Go for it.

Do check out your grammar though because if your above post is an example it's not the best. Your first draft (or ten) may be terrible but keep at it anyway until you find something you're happy with.

If you get fed up halfway through don't plow through and finish it, if you wont enjoy it neither will your audience. Leave it for a while with a rough plan of where you want the story to go and come back too it with a fresh perspective.

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 loopmonkey

Just go for it. I wrote my first play (a one act) and a radio play in the last six months. Don't listen to any negative voices, especially the ones in your head!

"The Artist's Way" is a great book that helps people to be more creative. You should get that for starters.

The main thing though is just to go for it. Don't worry about grammar or structure or anything like that until you get to the end.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

At the very laest it'll be an enjoyable experience for you. Check with the arts officer of your local council and the local library they often run free creative writing courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

If you are going to write a play make sure its a good one. Ask an editor to review it when its written.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

If you are interested, I am starting up a boards writing group in June.
    My backround is in theatre and play writing, and would be happy to give you a few tips.
    The group will be in Dublin, but if you are living in another county you could always submit work by e-mail.
    PM me if you are interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 DYT

Fishamble Theatre Company run courses. Here's some more info:

http://www.fishamble.com/playwright.html#course

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BritneyDee

Go for it!
    Life's too short not to be doing what you love to do! I dont think creativity is something you learn..... you just have it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Definitely do it!

Actors are always looking out for new scripts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The writers from the boards drama group are forming a script writing group for the summer. We have asked them to submit their plays to us and we will pick out plays to perform later in the year. http://nodrama.boards.ie

Advertisement