Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road traffic accident in town

Options
  • 07-03-2009 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

Collision on the Quincentennial bridge. Three cars, including a Garda vehicle. Emergency services and a large amount of Gardaí on the scene. Seems to be no fatalities, thank god.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Yikes, I drove over that only an hour ago. Hope everyone's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

Looked to me like a car hit the traffic light to me when I passed there? And looked light enough, I hope..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Seems to have been a day for it; I saw a car buried in the wall on Seamus Quirke Road opposite Shantalla Road (at the football pitch) at 5 o'clock yesterday morning, with a Garda car in attendance.

Hope everyone involved in these two accidents are OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dotfuscator

it looked like the front of the garda van hit the left side of the other car, both looked fairly damaged. would like to know how it happened though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I saw a Garda van being taken away by City Recovery along with one of these vehicles :
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Previa/2.4-VVT-/200840190265414/advert

The same accident ??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I saw the traffic light today, it's got a leaning tower vibe to it, still working though. Didn't hear of about this on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

GARDA OMBUDSMAN NOT INVESTIGATING CITY CRASH INVOLVING GARDA VAN
    Mon 9th March 2009
    The Garda Ombudsman will not be investigating a crash involving a Garda vehicle over the weekend.

The collision, between a Garda van and a taxi, happened at the junction of the Newcastle Road and Quincentennial Bridge at 12.50 am on Saturday.

3 Gardaí and four passengers in the taxi were hospital following the collision but were later discharged.

A spokesperson for the Gardaí has confirmed to Galway Bay fm News that the Garda Ombudsman will not be investigating the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

so did it look like the garda van caused the accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

yea i knew the 3 passengers in the back of the taxi... one received broken nose and the other two were treated for shock and scratches/minor cuts. apparently taxi was in the wrong as guards had blue lights on and taxi "failed" to notice the urgency.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Was there actual urgency I wonder or did they figure they'd just break the light because it was quiet? But thats me just being a negative Nancy again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Was there actual urgency I wonder or did they figure they'd just break the light because it was quiet? But thats me just being a negative Nancy again!

Ya I have seen the cars do that a few times put on the lights to go through the trafic lights as soon as they do they turn them off again. However I think they might have been going out to a certain hotel I was drinking in out that direction. There was a bit off trouble at a wedding and 2 gada cars were there about then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

dcukhunter wrote: »
    Ya I have seen the cars do that a few times put on the lights to go through the trafic lights as soon as they do they turn them off again.

That could be so as to panic other drivers as little as possible; some people get a bit frantic when they see blue lights behind them!!!
    dcukhunter wrote: »
    However I think they might have been going out to a certain hotel I was drinking in out that direction. There was a bit off trouble at a wedding and 2 gada cars were there about then.

That wouldn't have been out around Bushypark/Dangan by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wompa1 wrote: »
    As I understand it a lot of the time during emergencies they don't bother with lights/sirens unless there is need for it - other cars nearby/approaching intersection.
    There can also be times when the don't want to let on that they're coming, maybe to catch someone in the act or similar. Sneaky baxtards :D

Similarly there is an ambulance driver who lives in the Ballybrit area who parks his ambulance outside of his house a lot of the time. I often see him with the sirens blaring around 6pm cutting through traffic heading in that direction. It's always him though, and there's hardly an emergency over that side of town most days at the same time is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

biko wrote: »
    As I understand it a lot of the time during emergencies they don't bother with lights/sirens unless there is need for it - other cars nearby/approaching intersection.
    There can also be times when the don't want to let on that they're coming, maybe to catch someone in the act or similar. Sneaky baxtards :D

It is my understanding that entities such as the Gardai and Ambulance service have levels which indicate what configurations of lights and sirens they can use. Like emergency levels.
    For instance, in a bank robbery scenario the gardai would have lights and sirens on but for a traffic accident that had no reported serious injuries they will drive normally with no lights or sirens. Same with ambulance service, the only use lights and sirens in a life threatening situation. Also, I think the use of sirens through residential areas is a no go according to the rules unless it is absolutely necessary.

I am open for correction on this by someone (ie Garda or Ambulance driver/paramedic).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I saw an ambulance going really fast across the new bridge in 2006, no sirens or lights, approached red traffic lights then put on sirens & lights and went through and on into the petrol station. I caught up as it was pulling out, drove fast away and then noticed it pulled up in front of supermacs in newcastle.
    I was cycling so happenend to be going the same direction slowly, that's how i know. Of course there could've been a medical emergency in supermacs though..

Das Kitty, you should consider making a complaint about that driver to the Head of Amublance Service Hse West, St. Marys hospital , Castlebar.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Das Kitty, you should consider making a complaint about that driver to the Head of Amublance Service Hse West, St. Marys hospital , Castlebar.

I has no proof.

Anyway it doesn't bother me too much as I am going the opposite direction. :P ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It is my understanding that entities such as the Gardai and Ambulance service have levels which indicate what configurations of lights and sirens they can use. Like emergency levels.
    For instance, in a bank robbery scenario the gardai would have lights and sirens on but for a traffic accident that had no reported serious injuries they will drive normally with no lights or sirens. Same with ambulance service, the only use lights and sirens in a life threatening situation. Also, I think the use of sirens through residential areas is a no go according to the rules unless it is absolutely necessary.

I am open for correction on this by someone (ie Garda or Ambulance driver/paramedic).

I'm not entirely sure but read this in Emergency Services forum a few days ago:
    Just cause the lights and sirens aint on dont mean we aint responding to a call!

I use to work as building security ages ago and then it was common for them to respond without sirens/lights to try to sneak up on suspected burglars. Mind that wasn't here.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

Fey! wrote: »
    That could be so as to panic other drivers as little as possible; some people get a bit frantic when they see blue lights behind them!!!

Its usually late at night I see them no one else on road just me and going the opposite direction.

Fey! wrote: »
    That wouldn't have been out around Bushypark/Dangan by any chance?

Thats the one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 crystal castle

Leaving Galway, an ambulance went blaring out past lanes of traffic at the oran beg roundabout, further out I had a clear view of the ambulance tipping along near derrydonnell, not a bother on it. My mother works in a hospital and reckons drivers abuse the sirens. One of the perks of the job I guess, like the ability of a bouncer to give you a dig if you're getting thrown out of a nightclub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 WELL97

i heard that the paddy wagon had no lights on and broke thru a red light!typical

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

Leaving Galway, an ambulance went blaring out past lanes of traffic at the oran beg roundabout, further out I had a clear view of the ambulance tipping along near derrydonnell, not a bother on it. My mother works in a hospital and reckons drivers abuse the sirens. One of the perks of the job I guess, like the ability of a bouncer to give you a dig if you're getting thrown out of a nightclub.

For those that didn't know & I'm only talking about HSE National Ambulance Service EMT-P & EMT-AP's here, we drive on our own licence so the majority of us wouldn't abuse the privileges in regard to blue light & siren usage. In relation to the ambulance you saw "blaring" out past lanes of traffic, maybe it had been dispatched by ambulance control but then got stood down. It does frustrate us when this happens especially when joe public has made every effort to get out of our way.

The situation in Galway is different then the rest of the country as you have private ambulances responding on behalf of the HSE. Obviously we have no control over what they do.

All people see is an ambulance they don't distingush between us & the privates

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

buzzman wrote: »
    All people see is an ambulance they don't distingush between us & the privates

Doesn't matter with me - if I see an ambulance with lights on and sirens blowing, I get the fcuk out of the way fairly lively (once its safe to do so). Same for any emergency service really (although i'm sick to death of seeing cops turn on the sirens to break a red light, and turn them off 100m down the road)

Advertisement