Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canada;Good idea?

• 07-03-2009 3:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

Just a quick few questions.

Is Canada a good place to go?

How's the quality of life?

Is it a good place to raise kids?

What's the story with it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

I thought Toronto was pretty boring. Nice place to live I'm sure but not too much fun as a tourist destination. People are very very nice I have to say. But going out scene very different from Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

there are forums for this sort of thing on boards. also from what I'm told tree planting is where the moneyz is at!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

there are forums for this sort of thing on boards. also from what I'm told tree planting is where the moneyz is at!

I'm sure there are, but, prob, very few people read 'em.

Just looking for a general view..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

So why are you wanting to leave Ireland??

J.S. Pill wrote: »
    So why are you wanting to leave Ireland??

No huge reason at the mo.

I guess, I'm just a curious/restless soul really:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

What's the story with it?

Quite long and boring in parts, so I've heard!:p

karen3212 wrote: »
    Quite long and boring in parts, so I've heard!:p

So's Australia, but without the history, I spose.

When I was a kid, the only connection I had with the place was Canada Dry & that programme on the telly......what was it?

Oh yes! Beachcombers!

Nothing much else on back then:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭road_2_damascus

I lived in Toronto and my wife is from there. I know Canada well and would move there tomorrow...it helps to be connected though... whats your line of work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Been to toronto a few times, loved the place. Didnt find it boring at all and the people there are RIDICULOUSLY freindly. My dad lived there aswell for a good few years and he loved the place, in fact some of his freinds liked the place so much they stayed over there permentantly.

The overall quality of life over there is meant to be pretty good but going downhill ever since the liberal party went out of government(i think this was in 06?). The one thing about the place which annoyed the HELL outta me was that nothing is priced with tax, so if you go into a shop theyl have somthing, say for arguments sake a jumper marked as 40$. When you take this up to the till then they add the tax so it might end up being 50$. Im sure youd get used to it but it makes NO sense to me exept just to annoy you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I probably shouldn't comment (I'm from there, and I've had an awful lot to drink tonight), but I'd recommend Canada to anyone. The quality of life is absolutely fantastic. I miss it, quite a bit more than I generally let on. It's just a totally different atmosphere. Great place to raise kids, if you're into that sort of thing.

It really is lovely. Especially British Columbia-- there's just so much there, a rainforest, mountains for skiing, desert, the ocean... absolutely phenomenal part of the country. It's just so vast, so many different parts. It all depends on what part you're going to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

I hear its pretty tough getting a visa to go over there, much easier if a company is sponsering you so you might look into getting a job lined up first if you are serious about moving there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

caff wrote: »
    I hear its pretty tough getting a visa to go over there, much easier if a company is sponsering you so you might look into getting a job lined up first if you are serious about moving there.

They dish out Under 35s Working Visas like candy. Too late for this year though. I'm going to Vancouver in about a month, I've heard from dozens of people that it's a truly amazing city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Did nobody read the Evening Herald on Wednsday night?

Canada has closed it doors to the Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

So's Australia, but without the history, I spose.

When I was a kid, the only connection I had with the place was Canada Dry & that programme on the telly......what was it?

Oh yes! Beachcombers!

Nothing much else on back then:D

And never ever forget that they have mounties, that should be worth staying for a few years at least.

Being serial, I've heard friends say that the culture is quite similar to that of Oz, except it's all done in colder temps. Can't see how that can be right, but a few friends say so, it must be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Berty wrote: »
    Did nobody read the Evening Herald on Wednsday night?

Canada has closed it doors to the Irish.

Yeah I got an email from the Canadian High Commission saying that the papers were talking complete shite and to ignore them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

The money is nothing to write home about and it is very tough work, often miles from civilization on exposed mountainsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

karen3212 wrote: »
    And never ever forget that they have mounties, that should be worth staying for a few years at least.

Being serial, I've heard friends say that the culture is quite similar to that of Oz, except it's all done in colder temps. Can't see how that can be right, but a few friends say so, it must be true.

supr serial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

If I was to move anywhere it would be Canada. Someone said "Australia but without the history". Well, there ain't much history in Australia!

People are exceptionally friendly and there's generally a nice vibe of tolerance wherever I've been. Lived in Toronto for three months and thought it was awesome. Have also visited Vancouver and Ottawa and they were pretty sweet too, although I think most people would find Ottawa a bit boring after a while.

While the people are great, I found (as with other places like Oz&NZ) that I sometimes felt as if we didn't speak the same language.

Advertisement