Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Ryan refuses to take 10% pay cut

• 07-03-2009 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0307/1224242447555.html?via=mr
    RTÉ 2FM presenter Gerry Ryan has been accused by management of “acting the maggot” in refusing to sign up to a 10 per cent pay cut.

Eight of RTÉ’s top paid presenters have agreed to a pay cut of 10 per cent as a contribution to bridging the dramatic shortfall in the national broadcaster’s budget which is projected to reach €68 million this year.

Now i think Gerry Ryan is a ****, always have and always will. He is a dyed in the wool FFer with a Haughey fetish and, as the Celtic Tiger grew, so did his waistline and naff middle class tastes. But thats just my opinion. but does anyone think he is worth half a million for a crappy radio show?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

No he's not, thinks far too highly of himself.
    I think he's a **** and hope RTE don't budge and tell him where to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

He has a 4 year contract, RTE management drew it up, he signed and deal done.
    When the contract expires you can sort this out. If management can't plan or forcast shortfalls they aren't doing their job. They could have offered a rolling one year deal to Gerry Ryan, they didn't do it.

Tbh, I've seen all this before in League of Ireland football. Clubs bring in players on contracts. Then the clubs spend & waste money they don't have and the players who signed a contract are morally bound to take a pay cut as management can't do maths.

Going against the grain here I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

God bless Gerry. I think he is a giant among men.

lol.

I dont like Ryan one bit,his voice goes through me and he talks about himself constantly, but fair play to him for sticking to his guns.

he still attracts a massive audience (despite everyone saying they hate him!) so I doubt very much RTE will get rid of him especially with Dunne on Newstalk and Darcy on Today fm at the same time.

Some people get very hung up on these broadcasters salaries, personally I couldnt give a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

I absolutely can't stand the guy, never listen to him.

However if that's the amount he's contracted for, I suppose he's within his rights to refuse to take a pay cut.

He's not going to be doing himself any favours in the public eye though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

mikemac wrote: »
    They could have offered a rolling one year deal to Gerry Ryan, they didn't do it.
    That's exactly what they should have done, very poor planning by RTE management. The fat tosser should still make the gesture of taking a pay cut.

Aidric wrote: »
    That's exactly what they should have done, very poor planning by RTE management. The fat tosser should still make the gesture of taking a pay cut.

Why should he if he is on contract. If I was him I would laugh in RTEs faces.

He has them by the nuts and he knows it.

I listen to him. Darcy is an idiot with nothing serious to talk about, so there ain't anything else to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Tommy the Cat

The thing I want to know is where's his chin been hiding for the last 10 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Members of our goverment (sic) took a voluntary 10% pay cut but forgot to mention that it was just on their ministers salary. So it was in reality only a small percentage cut, but how they claimed to be great people suffering along with the rest of us :mad:. So should ye expect Gerry to take a 10% cut on his TV, Radio or his after school pay. Get real people, why should he take a pay cut to pander to public opinion when others less entertaining pull the wool over our eyes. Grow up and worry about something more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

Don't listen to him but from reading Sunday Indo you have to give him credit for sticking to his guns - no way does he deserve that salary but RTE created his big ego and are now stuck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

livvy wrote: »
    no way does he deserve that salary but RTE created his big ego and are now stuck with it.

You gotta love these nonsense statements, on what do you base this. No, let me guess, everybody says it so it must be true. How much in advertising does Gerry bring in for RTE, his salary was agreed and guess what agrument over.

Wait a moment, I hear something coming...... Why it's the Band Wagon........ all aboard!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Haha

He's hardly in a place to makin demands, with a face like his

I dont think I know anyone who likes him

And how can he refuse to take it?

Its highly unlikely if he stood his ground and left, that he'd get a similar job with equal to now, or better pay

BURN HIM AT THE STAKE SAYS ME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

unreggd wrote: »
    Its highly unlikely if he stood his ground and left, that he'd get a similar job with equal to now, or better pay

Very true but for now he has a 4 year contract and doesn't have to break it for anyone. RTE management made the deal so they can't come back now and want it changed.

When the contract expires you can slash his pay to whatever the new market rate is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I find Gerry fairly funny, he's a bit of a knob but theres no one else on irish radio that makes me laugh so....

unreggd wrote: »
    I dont think I know anyone who likes him

I always find this sort of comment funny. 300,000 plus listen to him and nobody seems to know anyone who listens to him:confused:

He doesnt have to take a cut and why would he, hes signed a contract for X amount of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The manager at RTE who thought it was a good idea to pay Gerry Ryan a 6 figure salary should be took out and shot.

What a f**ked up country we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    You gotta love these nonsense statements, on what do you base this.
    Big Clue to your question is what i wrote at the beginning of my post:
    "Don't listen to him but from reading Sunday Indo ..."

The paper wrote:
    Quote: RTE Management has taken teh unprecedented step of rubbishing one of its prized stars in public, describing broadcaster Gerry Ryan as "bombastic, loud-mouthed and opinionated" ....."We build up people to have enormous egos.... thats what sells him to our listeners."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The fat,arrogant slob shoudl be fired immediatly.
    Anybody in RTE management who read his book should be gunning for him after he revealed he though he was "indispensible" and "should be paid at least as much as Pat Kenny".
    As for his assertation that he brings in massive amounts of revenue..he should be aware that the rvenue has dropped considerably in line with the recession.
    Dirty,bloated fat slob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I always find this sort of comment funny. 300,000 plus listen to him and nobody seems to know anyone who listens to him:confused:

He doesnt have to take a cut and why would he, hes signed a contract for X amount of years.

A lot of people listen to RTE because they don't have as much ads as the other stations. They also have a better news and weather as they have more resources.

The reason for all this is they are funded massively by the tax payer while other stations get very little.

Degsy wrote: »
    The fat,arrogant slob shoudl be fired immediatly.
    Dirty,bloated fat slob.

Criticising him over his looks makes you seem like a idiot.

Surly you could find something a little more intelligent to criticise him over.

What has his weight got to do with anything?

• Advertisement

I think of all the top RTE stars, Gerry has one of the smaller € per hour.
    I think he's right not to take a pay cut, unless our TV licences go down then wtf does it matter to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

The thing I want to know is where's his chin been hiding for the last 10 years?

In Bono's posterior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Femmy wrote: »

And for once he's not talking about vasectomies!

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Criticising him over his looks makes you seem like a idiot.

Surly you could find something a little more intelligent to criticise him over.

What has his weight got to do with anything?

His weight is actually quite relevant.
    The man is payed too much money,he spends ity on gorging himself with too much food,correct?
    This is an unhealthy state of affairs as he might die from an obesity-related illness..ergo,his taking a paycut means less money to spend on burgers and pies and more chance of him losing weight and living longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

His weight is actually quite relevant.
    The man is payed too much money,he spends ity on gorging himself with too much food,correct?
    This is an unhealthy state of affairs as he might die from an obesity-related illness..ergo,his taking a paycut means less money to spend on burgers and pies and more chance of him losing weight and living longer.
    Jaysus, give him the money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I believe the dealbreaker was threats to take away his canteen privileges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fourfiveone

Gerry Ryan should be melted down to provide home heating oil for the elderly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭jaffa20

What a twat. I couldn't have been arsed reading what he said on 2fm this morning. All i saw on that news bulletin was "i i i, me me me" Blah de blah de blah:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

jaffa20 wrote: »
    What a twat. I couldn't have been arsed reading what he said on 2fm this morning. All i saw on that news bulletin was "i i i, me me me" Blah de blah de blah:rolleyes:

It was the sort of acceptance speech you'd expect to hear from somebody who had just recieved a nobel prize or congressional medal of honour.
    He also said that he's "read all the texts,read all the emails"..well if emails reflected even a fraction of what people think about him,he should be a very worried(fat)man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 kirankhan

Haha may God bless you thanks

It was the sort of acceptance speech you'd expect to hear from somebody who had just recieved a nobel prize or congressional medal of honour.
    He also said that he's "read all the texts,read all the emails"..well if emails reflected even a fraction of what people think about him,he should be a very worried(fat)man.

jealousy is a bitch

Now lets see how much better RTE gets now that gerry took the pay cut, Ireland should be out of this recession within days , thank you gerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I used to listen every day to Gerry Ryan - however last year I was in financial dire straits. Anyway as normal I tuned into Gerry for some light relief and his conversation with his microphone went something like this "When I drive down to the local takeaway - which I do about twice a week (he named the model of his car) I turn my Sat Nat on." he then carried on how he will have the Sat Nav turned on going the States for his yearly holiday, and then how he was having lunch in the Four Seasons etc. etc. It made me sick to the stomach that this guy was flaunting his wealth left right and centre - and there was I faced with mounting bills and not a "takeaway for the past 6 months". It wasn't light relief.

Then I heard about him having a "wobbler" about taking a 10% pay cut last week - approx. 50K down on his salary - peanuts to the likes of him - a fortune to me. I understand that there are other presenters earning loads of money - but they don't rub it into your face. Mr. Ryan needs a reality check sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

He looks like a Vogon/Cowen wannabe with those big flabby lips and has a very droning voice and uninteresting topics.
    But I guess that as long as there are grannies listening he won't retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Don't think Gerry has done himself any favours by refusing to take a paycut. For those who have little time for him as it is, they now have none at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Fairdues wrote: »
    Don't think Gerry has done himself any favours by refusing to take a paycut. For those who have little time for him as it is, they now have none at all.
    He took the pay cut :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

His utter refusal to countenance a paycut, in the midst of thousands of job losses every week, all over the country, doen't look good. While those lucky enough to have a job are paying levies and having imposed paycuts by the month, Gerry is sitting pretty. It smacks of arrogance and thoughtlessness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Fairdues wrote: »
    His utter refusal to countenance a paycut, in the midst of thousands of job losses every week, all over the country, doen't look good. While those lucky enough to have a job are paying levies and having imposed paycuts by the month, Gerry is sitting pretty. It smacks of arrogance and thoughtlessness.
    What are you smoking, he took the paycut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 mashtobi

Why doesnt he get off the weight that the contestants do on his ****in programme Operation Transformation.

mashtobi wrote: »
    Why doesnt he get off the weight that the contestants do on his ****in programme Operation Transformation.

Why would you care?

I hate that program

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mashtobi wrote: »

Because he doesnt want to?

Not everyone wants to be thin.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Because he doesnt want to?

Not everyone wants to be thin.

No,because he eats too much and is lazy.
    Thats the fundamental reason that anybody is fat.
    In his book he says:
    "I had several years over-indulging myself.You can probably mark theyears from when my salary increased.
    I was hanging around with a bunch of wonderful guys who lunched an awful lot.All of them had very sucessful businessses..and we'd be in the Polo Room having lunch two or three times a week."

Note the way he manages to name drop a restaurant,brag about his salary and allude to teh fact he hangs out with rich people in barely a paragraph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Kenmare

jaffa20 wrote: »

Here is a nice glass of stfu. ^^

The bloke DOES have a right to make known the fact that he just lost a TENTH of his salary when legally he did not have to. Money is money.

LOL I hope your boss asks for a bigass pay cut from you. It will be lolworthy.

Kenmare wrote: »
    Here is a nice glass of stfu. ^^

The bloke DOES have a right to make known the fact that he just lost a TENTH of his salary when legally he did not have to. Money is money

Well tough titty on the fat slob.
    If he doesnt like it he could always resign..i'm sure there's radio staions just crying out to pay a boorish,fat egomaniac half a million quid to spoute rubbish while slobbering cups of coffee.
    Oh yessir,he's get a new job reeaal quick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well tough titty on the fat slob.
    If he doesnt like it he could always resign..i'm sure there's radio staions just crying out to pay a boorish,fat egomaniac half a million quid to spoute rubbish while slobbering cups of coffee.
    Oh yessir,he's get a new job reeaal quick!

Jesus christ would you ever get over your man crush for the guy?

Think I'll go email him to get him to sign up here so you can be banned for personal abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 El_Magnifigo

deelite wrote: »
    I used to listen every day to Gerry Ryan - however last year I was in financial dire straits. Anyway as normal I tuned into Gerry for some light relief and his conversation with his microphone went something like this "When I drive down to the local takeaway - which I do about twice a week (he named the model of his car) I turn my Sat Nat on." he then carried on how he will have the Sat Nav turned on going the States for his yearly holiday, and then how he was having lunch in the Four Seasons etc. etc. It made me sick to the stomach that this guy was flaunting his wealth left right and centre - and there was I faced with mounting bills and not a "takeaway for the past 6 months". It wasn't light relief.

Then I heard about him having a "wobbler" about taking a 10% pay cut last week - approx. 50K down on his salary - peanuts to the likes of him - a fortune to me. I understand that there are other presenters earning loads of money - but they don't rub it into your face. Mr. Ryan needs a reality check sooner rather than later.

I highly doubt 50K is peanuts to most people, including Gerry Ryan...in fact wouldn't that sort of be the reason why he seemed reluctant to take the pay cut initially?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Less of the personal abuse, or there will be bannings.

Degsy - tone it down, in all threads. This is your only warning.

I highly doubt 50K is peanuts to most people, including Gerry Ryan...in fact wouldn't that sort of be the reason why he seemed reluctant to take the pay cut initially?

If he was gonna miss it so much he should've kept his big mouth shut about how opulent his lifestyle is and how much he likes being rich.
    He's been exposed as the self-serving phony that he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 newtlover

Jerry lives near me, the fat slob skips the queue in the laundrette and says sorry people i have a radio show to go 2 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

Who listens to him? He was always an a hole. He should be fired and replaced with some fresh talent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement