Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crate training - going to get one today

Options
  • 07-03-2009 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm not 100% comfortable with this, but I think for my sanity sake and for the good of my pup I'm going to start crate training.

I'm going to go buy a crate today, just wanted some tips - what is the first things to do to introduce the puppy to the crate (puppy is 10 weeks).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/crate_training.html

tips in the above link.

I crate trained my lab - she arrived here at 6 months old after having little or no training (she was a rescue who was just dumped out the back by her previous owners and then surrendered for wrecking their garden) she loved her crate, and would lie in her bed in the crate rather than in the bed on the floor beside it any time. Now when I have foster dogs (the only time the crate is put up again) she trys to hop back into it the minute the door's open. I'm unsure why you're not 100% comfortable with it, done correctly and slowly crate training is not stressful for your dog or cruel in any way. Just make sure you never leave your dog in his/her crate for too long, and never ever "punish" your dog by putting him/her in for "being bold"

The article in the link takes you through how to introduce your puppy to the crate slowly and in a way that won't stress them or frighten them. Always make sure they've a nice big bowl of fresh water in there, plenty of toys and a nice clean cosy bed....

Best of luck to you both ;)

Advertisement