Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers vote for industrial action

Options
  • 07-03-2009 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0307/breaking10.htm

Firstly could someone tell me whether this could be an "anti-government" strike or an "anti-pension levy strike"? I'll support anything to get FF out but I believe the pension levy is appropriate for teachers who enjoy very generous working hours and days off.

I'm in transition year myself and although I'd enjoy a day off:rolleyes:, It could be very selfish for teachers to put at risk the future of the 3rd and 6th years.
    Everyday I see teachers in my school leave before 4p.m., enabling them to beat the rush hour and be home before 5. and then even with correcting copies etc they can enjoy their evening without hassle. I know they work very hard and I can honestly say there isn't a teacher in my school that I don't like however with almost all of their positions and pensions secure, it seems only fair that they take a financial hit, like the rest of us.

(sorry if this looks like another Public Sector Bashing post but I think teachers need to be discussed thoroughly)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Looks like its because of the governments general handling of the economy for the last 10 years... Which funnily enough was heavily influenced by the partnership process... Which the unions were a considerable part of....

...so they are proposing a general "down with this sort of thing" strike because of bad decisions made by their own unions...genious idea...that'll help the country no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I would love to know where you are in school because a third of teachers in the schools I know of, including my own are part-time and never have any security from one year to the next and are on part-time contracts. There are many issues here, least of all in my opinion, the pension levy. Cutbacks are going to hit all students, they are always my primary concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Could they not just have a protest outside Leinster House on some weekend???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Dave! wrote: »

Of course not, that would be too common! Trust the teachers to throw the toys out of the pram like a bunch of spoilt brats. They did it before, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them do it again. To be honest I don't know what they are complaining about. They get more holidays than any of the rest of us, are well paid, and DO have a solid job as education isn't going to be gone anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

DarkJager wrote: »
    Of course not, that would be too common! Trust the teachers to throw the toys out of the pram like a bunch of spoilt brats. They did it before, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them do it again. To be honest I don't know what they are complaining about. They get more holidays than any of the rest of us, are well paid, and DO have a solid job as education isn't going to be gone anytime soon.

What's solid about a years contract? The education system isn't going anywhere, but it is slimming down, more kids in less classes, while more and more teachers are coming out of university every year, far more than are retiring. So each year a large percentage (and getting larger) of teachers have to go back and sign a contract to be given the job they are already doing. If that job is on offer again, it may not be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 DeirdreD

Dave! wrote: »
    Teachers have been there and done that - in particular last year when highlighting the large class sizes here in comparison to other nations - the governments response...........they actually increased the teacher pupil ratio!!!

This ballot was primarily related to the governments handling of the economic crisis which is including in a very real way education cutbacks

Teachers now teach in some of the largest class sizes in Europe with an increasingly diverse student population, e.g. increased numbers of pupils with special educational needs ( previously many of whom were in special schools), newcomer students etc etc and the response of the government is to increasethe numbers within the classrooms. The primary curriculum advocates nurturing the uniqueness of every child, advocates hands on learning, group work, learning in diverse environments etc etc- a challenging task with 30+ pupils!!As a teacher myself I am more than willing to take the hit re pension levy but when cuts related to increasing the teacher pupil ratio, disbanding some special classes, decreasing the aomunt of language support teachers etc are incurred to save a few bob ( and seem to be the thin end of the wedge) I wonder at the governments plans re saving money to address the economic crisis. This is what many teachers are concerned about - we all know that children are the future of the economy and deserve the best in terms of learning and teaching

In response to an earlier post( student in transiton year)teachers may finish school at an earlier time compared to other professions but remember teachers have to prepare class plans, monthly reports on curriculum taught, pupil support plans for pupils with literacy/numeracy difficulites etc etc ( this all happens outside of school hours)

Again I do appreciate we all have to take some punches as part of a givernmental response to these challenging times ( and personally again have no problem with the pension levy) but question is this just the beginning? And will future generations be the ones that suffer if Batt O Keefe and his advisors continue to cut school supports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

DarkJager wrote: »
    Trust the teachers to throw the toys out of the pram like a bunch of spoilt brats. They did it before, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them do it again. To be honest I don't know what they are complaining about. They get more holidays than any of the rest of us, are well paid, and DO have a solid job as education isn't going to be gone anytime soon.

Agreed. I bet they will not strike during their summer holidays. I know more than a few teachers who will be off in their foreign holiday homes then ; I know a few other teachers who will be running their lucrative little summer touristy businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

the future of any country is its children, if children are not educated properly it affects our future, if they are highly educated if also affects our future, de velera took science out of the classroom and installed religon, it took until the nintys to recover, an old f.f. ploy, keep them ingorant, then they will then know no better, him and mc quaid have a lot to answer for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

DeirdreD wrote: »
    Teachers have been there and done that - in particular last year when highlighting the large class sizes here in comparison to other nations - the governments response...........they actually increased the teacher pupil ratio!!!

This ballot was primarily related to the governments handling of the economic crisis which is including in a very real way education cutbacks

Teachers now teach in some of the largest class sizes in Europe with an increasingly diverse student population, e.g. increased numbers of pupils with special educational needs ( previously many of whom were in special schools), newcomer students etc etc and the response of the government is to increasethe numbers within the classrooms. The primary curriculum advocates nurturing the uniqueness of every child, advocates hands on learning, group work, learning in diverse environments etc etc- a challenging task with 30+ pupils!!As a teacher myself I am more than willing to take the hit re pension levy but when cuts related to increasing the teacher pupil ratio, disbanding some special classes, decreasing the aomunt of language support teachers etc are incurred to save a few bob ( and seem to be the thin end of the wedge) I wonder at the governments plans re saving money to address the economic crisis. This is what many teachers are concerned about - we all know that children are the future of the economy and deserve the best in terms of learning and teaching

In response to an earlier post( student in transiton year)teachers may finish school at an earlier time compared to other professions but remember teachers have to prepare class plans, monthly reports on curriculum taught, pupil support plans for pupils with literacy/numeracy difficulites etc etc ( this all happens outside of school hours)

Again I do appreciate we all have to take some punches as part of a givernmental response to these challenging times ( and personally again have no problem with the pension levy) but question is this just the beginning? And will future generations be the ones that suffer if Batt O Keefe and his advisors continue to cut school supports

the reason we have among the largest class sizes in europe is down to the fact that such a large percentage of the budget for education goes towards wages for teachers which are among the highest in the eu , were our teachers to be on salarys more comparable to our european counterparts , we might have more money to spend on facilities , its the same of course with the health service , had we not the highest paid nurses in the eu , we would have more to spend on beds

you can have it both ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

First off, I'm tired of the people here who sit around waiting for an anti teacher moment to post a load of rubbish about something they know nothing about.

To put some things straight here, the teachers will not strike alone. It would be done as part of an ICTU action. The ICTU has private sector members too.

The ballot referred to action up to and including strike action, so it may not happen. The strong mandate to strike sends a message to government that teachers are sick of their incompetence in managing education and managing the country in general. The ballot for action was not solely to do with the pension levy. I as a teacher have no problem whatsoever paying that extra money to a government that is fit to hold office. This shower are not fit to hold office.

So.. Before the "Teachers are bad and they have holidays grrrrr" group take hold, reflect on what this proposed action is about.

Its a protest at the disgraceful treatment of our childrens education by a government who cut special needs classes first, and would put a 3rd level of tax for 6 figure earners second.

Its a protest at the unfairness shown by the government in dealing with the existing problem in an inept and socially immoral way; leaving those FF supporting, Galway tent fans to cough up last, while covering the asses of white collars who's acts could be considered treasonous.

Its a protest at the lack of leadership shown by the government and their unwillingness to listen to suggested solutions until their backs were firmly against the wall.

I am, as many are, willing to pay this extra levy and extra tax to pay my fair share for the good of the country. But I wont be taken for a mug by a minister for education or finance who thinks of Irish children as a way to save money as opposed to being the future of our nation. And I wont bother to respond to someone who twists and turns this mandate for action into a reason to bash teachers for having holidays, or to serve their personal vendetta against a profession in general.

I now pay PRSI, PAYE, 1.5% Spouse and Child, 1% Levy, 7% levy, and I earn 39k gross.
    I seriously think some people here wished the teachers would work for free, or that maybe criminals would be sentenced to being a teacher to pay for their wrongdoing.. scum that we are.
    Im sick of worrying about the welfare of other people's children and then being vilified for having an easy job. Its not easy, its well paid, I work hard, and I pay my taxes. I have nothing to be ashamed of, nor do I owe the anti teacher brigade anything. They had nothing stopping them applying for my job.

Teachers voted yes to strike action in order to push pressure on the government to get their fingers out. I for one having read this forum closely for the last 4 or 5 months, thought that was what we all wanted?

• Advertisement

Trotter wrote: »
    Teachers voted yes to strike action in order to push pressure on the government to get their fingers out. I for one having read this forum closely for the last 4 or 5 months, thought that was what we all wanted?

With all due respect, I do not think the penny has dropped yet. As another poster wrote, better than I can "the reason we have among the largest class sizes in europe is down to the fact that such a large percentage of the budget for education goes towards wages for teachers which are among the highest in the eu , were our teachers to be on salarys more comparable to our european counterparts , we might have more money to spend on facilities "

Before you accuse me of " bashing teachers for having holidays ", perhaps teachers should be glad of the security, holidays, pension and pay that they have ? Many teachers are good teachers by the way. I also agree with you about the 3rd level of tax for 6 figure earners . In fact, given most people in the private sector earn less than 30,000 per year, I think the tax rate for those who earn more than say 40 k per year should be higher, given the state of our economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

jimmmy wrote: »
    With all due respect, I do not think the penny has dropped yet. As another poster wrote, better than I can "the reason we have among the largest class sizes in europe is down to the fact that such a large percentage of the budget for education goes towards wages for teachers which are among the highest in the eu , were our teachers to be on salarys more comparable to our european counterparts , we might have more money to spend on facilities "

Before you accuse me of " bashing teachers for having holidays ", perhaps teachers should be glad of the security, holidays, pension and pay that they have ? Many teachers are good teachers by the way. I also agree with you about the 3rd level of tax for 6 figure earners . In fact, given most people in the private sector earn less than 30,000 per year, I think the tax rate for those who earn more than say 40 k per year should be higher, given the state of our economy.

I agree with a lot of what you've said. If there was ancrease in tax though above 40k, I wouldnt be touched because I dont earn more than that.

I would also like to see where the figures quoted above have come from. Can someone quote a source for those figures that show that Irelands percentage of GDP spent on teachers is more than any other? Is the real problem not that our spend in general in Education is far too low? Was the class size protest taken by teachers not a demand for increased funds for education and not teacher salaries in order to move us off the bottom of the OECD charts for education spending?

I know a teacher in the UK who earns 29k sterling. He can buy a hell of a lot more for his 29k than I can buy for my 39k. I don't see the point in basing an argument on figures which are twisted to suit the argument that teachers are overpaid.

You're right though, Im a teacher and I left the private sector so I could have a meaningful job, job security, a good wage, and extra holidays. I'm happy with what I've got. I was happy with what I had when my friends who were on 70k were making jokes about buying me tweed cardigans. :)

People who are ringfencing the education budget and using the teacher wages percentage of that budget are conveniently ignoring the fact that as a percentage of our GDP, we spent less than most 1st world countries on primary education.
    Ireland is spending proportionately less on education that it did 10 years ago, according to the latest figures from the OECD.

A report from the organisation out today also shows that just two countries, Greece and the Slovak Republic, spend a smaller proportion of their GDP on education than Ireland does.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0909/education.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

To put some things straight here, the teachers will not strike alone. It would be done as part of an ICTU action. The ICTU has private sector members too.

Any real private sectors workers are not going to go on strike right now. They're jobs are not safe enough for that. They don't have the security you have. They risk losing their jobs through stupid behaviour like that.

I'm not a teacher basher but most of my teacher friends admit they're 'comfortable' which is more than can be said for most private sector people.

It's a compromise, you can have high pay with long hours and the insecurity issue or you can have lower pay but a better lifestyle.

Going on strike will once again highlight for the rest of us how out of touch with reality far too many public service workers are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

dave-higgz wrote: »

Everyday I see teachers in my school leave before 4p.m., enabling them to beat the rush hour and be home before 5.

Sorry kid, but are you suggesting that they are not free to leave before 4pm?

In case you are not aware teachers do not operate a clocking in/clocking off system. A full time teacher is contracted for no more than 22hours per week. This means they get some classes off during the day. Contrary to popular opinion the staff room is not the place where teachers sit around drinking coffee for half the day..
    The 22hour working week enables the teacher to get through mountains of paperwork, copies, mocks, essays, projects, reports be that in the staffroom or the comfort of their own home.

You're right though, Im a teacher and I left the private sector so I could have a meaningful job, job security, a good wage, and extra holidays. I'm happy with what I've got. I was happy with what I had when my friends who were on 70k were making jokes about buying me tweed cardigans.
    Maybe some people do make 70k. I know one employee of a large multinational manufacturing here, who has a third level qualification, who has been with the firm 12 years, and who is on 31 thousand a year. He worked in the public sector before that, but relocated because of marriage, and was - still is - amazed at the different pressure / work culture between the public + private sector.

People who are ringfencing the education budget and using the teacher wages percentage of that budget are conveniently ignoring the fact that as a percentage of our GDP, we spent less than most 1st world countries on primary education.
    Our GDP figures in the past are skewed though, are they not, by some multinationals laundering their profits through Ireland in order to pay only 10% corporation tax ? eg some American firms employing 5 or 10 in some office in Ireland yet turning over 2 billion or something ? So "percentage of our GDP" does not mean a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

perhaps teachers should be glad of the security, holidays

I am a teacher. Listen carefully to what I am about to say regarding the two positives you mentioned above. Are you sure you and all the other ill-informed are listening. Oi, you at the back listen up or you will find yourself on detention......

SECURITY - NONE. Good chance of me having no job this September. See that's not very secure is it. Understand?

HOLIDAYS - UNPAID. I'd rather be working and earning money during the holidays. See?

Maybe some research in future before composing more embarrassing drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eoinbn

More pointless protesting, wonderful.

If ICTU had answers then fine, protest, but they don't. Their ten point plan is full of populist nonsense and contradictions. For example point 3 is about our lack of competitiveness and then point 4 is complaining about the government and employeers reneging on the pay increase!
    IIRC correctly there isn't a single cut for ICTU memebers in the plan, just pay increases, higher dole for people that lose their jobs and adding EXTRA costs to pensions by securing private pensions with public money.

Why are teachers the main public sector employees being targetted by abuse?

Teachers are having contracts their contracts ended in May.. Paycuts etc.
    Same boat as private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

irish_bob wrote: »
    the reason we have among the largest class sizes in europe is down to the fact that such a large percentage of the budget for education goes towards wages for teachers which are among the highest in the eu , were our teachers to be on salarys more comparable to our european counterparts , we might have more money to spend on facilities , its the same of course with the health service , had we not the highest paid nurses in the eu , we would have more to spend on beds

you can have it both ways

yes and we are have lower taxes than most of Europe, how about we raise them instead to pay for decent public services.

Fredser wrote: »
    SECURITY - NONE. Good chance of me having no job this September. See that's not very secure is it. Understand?

HOLIDAYS - UNPAID. I'd rather be working and earning money during the holidays. See?

While you are clearly not representative of the average teacher, you have more security than many in the private sector....plus you will get paid I am sure for holidays ( not to mention sick days ) in the meantime eg Paddies day, Easter etc. Self employed people do not. Be thankful the downturn in the education sector is not as severe as many other sectors. People will always need to be educated, every year. Oh, and I am sure you can get the dole if things do not work out. If you were self employed for say 25 years and had collected hundreds of thousands in taxes for the govt, had saved prudently, not gone on foreign holidays, but now found yourself out of work, you would still not be entitled to the dole.

• Advertisement

While you are clearly not representative of the average teacher, you have more security than many in the private sector....plus you will get paid I am sure for holidays ( not to mention sick days ) in the meantime eg Paddies day, Easter etc. .

Sorry but not all teachers get paid holidays!! Depends on the contract.. Get your facts straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

Alessandra wrote: »
    Sorry but not all teachers get paid holidays!! Depends on the contract.. Get your facts straight.

I've already tried explaining that to the poster in question but he can't grasp it. Maybe a meeting with the parents to discuss possible extra classroom assistance is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

There are many sorts of contracts in education - permanent, pensionable ones; pro-rata ones; contracts of indefinite duration; fixed term; fixed purpose; part-time etc... and each one of these carries different rights in relation to paid holidays, work done outside of the actual classroom etc.

The reality is that, with all this public sector bashing that goes on ad infinitum here, sweeping generalisations only serve to irritate and annoy and show that the poster in question hasn't done their research and isn't au fait with the complexities of the differing employment statuses throughout the education sector (from primary to third level).

The OP states that he is in transition year and then says that teachers should take the hit just like "we" all should. Yeah cos transition year students are really going to feel the pain of possibly losing your job, taking pay cuts etc.

I am not a teacher (but do work in education) and I don't believe teachers should be classed seperately from any other public sector worker.. do get your facts right about your assumptions of what (or not) a teacher (or anyone else in the education sector) actually does so that you get taught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

There are many sorts of contracts in education - permanent, pensionable ones; pro-rata ones; contracts of indefinite duration; fixed term; fixed purpose; part-time etc... and each one of these carries different rights in relation to paid holidays, work done outside of the actual classroom etc.

All of which points to a shambles in the system. Most of us know that many teachers are on contracts which end. Same goes for many university lecturers. But I would wager that the majority of teachers are on permanent, pensionable contracts. The term teacher covers a huge variety of job descriptions in the system. I personally know of one teacher who has possibly the best paid part time job in history. If she had to do a full day's work she would die of shock.

But it's no good to anyone to point out the exceptions. It's the majority that count and in this case it's the majority who are likely to be striking for what? To make the point that they're unhappy with the current situation?
    Well welcome to the club!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Be thankful the downturn in the education sector is not as severe as many other sectors. People will always need to be educated, every year. Oh, and I am sure you can get the dole if things do not work out.

Well my school is in danger of losing 20% of it's staff which is quite severe considering we're not losing 20% of our students to go with it. So it's going to be larger classes and less subject choices. Would you consider that severe?

There are 12 teachers in my school who are not permanent (out of 35), most of them will be gone next year. People always need to be educated for sure, but in bigger classes with less subject choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

All of which points to a shambles in the system. Most of us know that many teachers are on contracts which end. Same goes for many university lecturers. But I would wager that the majority of teachers are on permanent, pensionable contracts. The term teacher covers a huge variety of job descriptions in the system. I personally know of one teacher who has possibly the best paid part time job in history. If she had to do a full day's work she would die of shock.

But it's no good to anyone to point out the exceptions. It's the majority that count and in this case it's the majority who are likely to be striking for what? To make the point that they're unhappy with the current situation?
    Well welcome to the club!

anecdotal evidence is not going to cut it re your friend.

and damb right their making a point that there unhappy with the situation and its going to take alot more people to do that till the current government steps down and allow the people to choose who they want to take us through this situation we are now in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Maybe some people do make 70k. I know one employee of a large multinational manufacturing here, who has a third level qualification, who has been with the firm 12 years, and who is on 31 thousand a year.

isnt he a gob****e then or else he must be crap at his job and not good enough to get a proper job that pays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

Hey OP here,

Just to pick up on some things.

1. I know that all teachers do fantastic work during their free classes and at home making lesson plans, correcting homework and exams etc. Just to make that clear.
    2. When I said about teachers leaving at 4, I should add that many teachers do stay later to help in extra curricular activities and adult education etc. I don't want to generalize all teachers as being out the door with the students when the bell rings.
    3. It was said that teachers are no different than any other public sector worker but I feel that they are in some respects. I guess that main one being holiday. Mid-terms, summer, christmas! Only TD's enjoy such breaks (and more) and it's fair to say that TD's are being discussed as a totally separate PS workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Unless I was on a permanent, pensionable teacher's contract then I would not be joining in industrial action against unfortunate but necessary levies on public sector wages. Without state employees taking a hit on their wages, redundancies will have to be more severe and these redundancies will disproportionately affect those on less secure contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

dave-higgz wrote: »

Firstly could someone tell me whether this could be an "anti-government" strike or an "anti-pension levy strike"? I'll support anything to get FF out but I believe the pension levy is appropriate for teachers who enjoy very generous working hours and days off.

I'm in transition year myself and although I'd enjoy a day off:rolleyes:, It could be very selfish for teachers to put at risk the future of the 3rd and 6th years.
    Everyday I see teachers in my school leave before 4p.m., enabling them to beat the rush hour and be home before 5. and then even with correcting copies etc they can enjoy their evening without hassle. I know they work very hard and I can honestly say there isn't a teacher in my school that I don't like however with almost all of their positions and pensions secure, it seems only fair that they take a financial hit, like the rest of us.

(sorry if this looks like another Public Sector Bashing post but I think teachers need to be discussed thoroughly)

You probably won't remember this, but when I was in Leaving Cert in 2000/2001, the teachers were on strike for a large amount of the time.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2000/1123/teachers.html

It didn't affect me in the least, as a matter of fact, I stayed home from school on the days they didn't turn up and I did quite well in my Leaving cert, but particularily in the subjects where the teachers were striking.

For example, my English teacher had barely turned up to school for about 3 months out of my last year.
    I got an A2 in that subject.

I suppose its less relevant to me, because I had quite strict parents and was quite motivated/terrorised into working hard.
    Its more relevant to the people who can't motivate themselves or those who have complacent parents.

Advertisement