Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'A Caple Street opinion' - Q?.

Options
  • 07-03-2009 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I just caught the tail end of a discussion on the radio during the week which spoke of a 'Caple Street Opinion', apparently trainee barristers & their lecturers would parade from the Kings Inn down Caple St every Friday afternoon and Dublin people could approach them for free legal advice (or opinion).

Can anyone expand on this?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

mobile FLAC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

ntlbell wrote: »
    mobile FLAC?

What?.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Jaysis, thats the first i ever heard of that. I'd imagine they head to Caple street because of the wide selection of Sex shops it has.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That rings a bell somewhere with me. I think it was a long time ago though. I'd say the bods up in the King's Inns would be the ones to know.
    Little peculiarities like that are some of the things I love about Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Mairt wrote: »
    I just caught the tail end of a discussion on the radio during the week which spoke of a 'Caple Street Opinion', apparently trainee barristers & their lecturers would parade from the Kings Inn down Caple St every Friday afternoon and Dublin people could approach them for free legal advice (or opinion).

Can anyone expand on this?.

I had a look for that quote and found it in Hansard, which is the traditional name for the printed transcripts of parliamentary debates in Westminster.

On 27th July 1868, while discussing the Poor Relief Bill the following was discussed...
    MR. SYNAN said, that the opinions with which the hon. Member for North Warwickshire (Mr. Newdegate) was imbued, were very erroneous one. When listening to the hon. Member he was reminded of a story he had heard of an Irish barrister. The learned gentleman had told an attorney that he must succeed in a certain action. The attorney was defeated, and meeting the barrister some time after, said to him, "I acted on your opinion and was cast." "Where did I give you that opinion?" said the barrister. "In Capel Street," was the reply. "Oh, then," rejoined the barrister, "never believe a Capel Street opinion again." He would recommend the hon. Member for North Warwickshire to remember the moral of that story.

The whole discussion can be read HERE, but the above helps to explain the quote I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

mobile FLAC?

lol am i the only one thinking this was another new music file extension? :pac:

Advertisement