Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circus tent on the Headford Road?

Options
  • 07-03-2009 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

I assume it means there's some kind of circus in town but does anybody have any more info?

Nothing in the Advertiser that I could see (but it doesn't get delivered to us so I had to go through it online - that and I have a tendency of ignoring advertising when flipping through)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Here till 22nd March

edit: I got a voucher where it states it's Circus New York
    Times and prices http://www.bigtopcircus.net/visiting.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is anyone noticing all the illegally abandoned cars deliberately obstructing the bicycle path and/or the designated footpath at this location?

The location is on a bus route and there is plenty of parking across the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

"The idea that it is funny to see wild animals coerced into acting like clumsy humans, or thrilling to see powerful beasts reduced to cringing cowards by a whipcracking trainer is primitive and medieval. It stems from the old idea that we are superior to other species and have the right to hold dominion over them."
    —Dr. Desmond Morris, anthropologist, animal behaviorist, author

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Discodog wrote: »
    "The idea that it is funny to see wild animals coerced into acting like clumsy humans, or thrilling to see powerful beasts reduced to cringing cowards by a whipcracking trainer is primitive and medieval. It stems from the old idea that we are superior to other species and have the right to hold dominion over them."
    —Dr. Desmond Morris, anthropologist, animal behaviorist, author
    GO PRIMITIVE MEDIEVAL THINGS!! WOOHOO!!

I was in Dunne's earlier and could hear the spiderpig theme coming from the circus.

Reason enough to go I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

This circus is definitely for children - we were the only people there without kids and a lot of the show is specifically for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gmkgreaney

was there with my nieces and only two animals were in it the penguins and seals, did anyone see the old russian defying gravity on the trampoline:D
    i dunno i find circus folk even weirder then carnies:confused:

Nearly as weird as the people who think that seals & penguins should be in a circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Nearly as weird as the people who think that seals & penguins should be in a circus.

Yes, we understood the first time you posted that your heart, it bleeds.

Mine doesn't. This circus is lucky that Ireland still provides an audience when many countries would not allow it. It a shame that you could not take children & explain to them how seal lions & penguins just love being carted around Ireland. The joke is that one of the main reasons why animals in circuses are dying out is that children know that it's wrong & won't go. A recent protest was actually instigated by secondary pupils.

I am going to recreate Bull Baiting for the real connoisseur of animal performance. Sounds like it would be popular in the Ireland of 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gmkgreaney

who me???:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sec

Mine doesn't. This circus is lucky that Ireland still provides an audience when many countries would not allow it. It a shame that you could not take children & explain to them how seal lions & penguins just love being carted around Ireland. The joke is that one of the main reasons why animals in circuses are dying out is that children know that it's wrong & won't go. A recent protest was actually instigated by secondary pupils.

I am going to recreate Bull Baiting for the real connoisseur of animal performance. Sounds like it would be popular in the Ireland of 2009.

Discodog, do you have any idea if there are any protests happening for Duffy's circus which is coming to the Headford Road in Galway from Wed 14th to Sun 18th October?

They are advertising on their flyers 'More Animals than Ever' and 'Visit the Zoo after Each Performance'. I have checked different animal welfare groups online but all the activity seems to be in Dublin...

Well they have skipping Tigers. Apparently it's something that Tigers love to do. Half way through a hunt, in the jungle, they will just feel the urge to get the rope out & have a skip.

I am not aware of any protests. In Galway you might be more likely to get protests complaining that there were no animals.

Apparently Duffy's like protesters https://www.indymedia.ie/article/92811

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Damn cheeky penguins, should be surfing where they belong!

photo.jpg

On a side note didn't they have a penguin in the Paddys day parade this year?

Advertisement