Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party Conference

Options
  • 07-03-2009 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

It's on RTE at the minute. They've just passed two "motions" with regards capping salaries in the country at €400,000 and taxing at 95% above that.

I've only switched it on so I don't know the full story. Is anyone watching this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Watching it now, interesting idea about succession theory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I can't see FF agreeing to either motion 6 or 7 . They might get through some of their eco stuff. FF will probably drag their heals on anything to do with obesity. Cute though the way Trev tied that one up though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

I feel like passing a bowel motion after reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    They've just passed two "motions" with regards capping salaries in the country at €400,000 and taxing at 95% above that.

And who will relocate their business the Ireland if the government is capping their wages.

It would also lead to a new wave of tax exiles leaving the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

A truly appalling waste of two hours.

A mundane and lifeless conference, only outflanked by the most unprofessional setup I have ever seen. Having attended conferences in White's Hotel, I know how nice that room can be. Unfortunatly, the Greens have wasted the chance.

There is clear division amongst the members. Many have been speaking as though it was March 2007, and the Greens were not in Government.

De Burca and Dan Boyle are limp and lifeless, and will get hockied in their respective European Constituencies (one would have to feel that FF, FG, Lab, Sinn Fein, and potentiall Libertas (and their types of candidate i.e Synnott and Dana) will poll better then them).

Gormeless's speech will be worst than Cowen's. It will be predicated on "Green Solutions" to the economic crisis, which is virtually echoing Mary White's statement about the priorities of the Green party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Eamonn Ryan was on the radio yesterday saying that the party grassroots were his master and not Brian Cowan..

The grassroots have told him to go and cap wages at 400k? Lets see who's his master now..

Possible quote..
    Eamonn "Taoiseach, cap the salaries at 400k please, the party has spoken. "
    Brian "Get out Eamonn".
    Eamonn "Yes Taoiseach, Sorry Taoiseach".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Soldie wrote: »
    I feel like passing a bowel motion after reading that.

:eek:

Be careful!!! The Greens might ring-bind it and use it as policy......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

jhegarty wrote: »
    And who will relocate their business the Ireland if the government is capping their wages.

It would also lead to a new wave of tax exiles leaving the country.

Disagree with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

It's on RTE at the minute. They've just passed two "motions" with regards capping salaries in the country at €400,000 and taxing at 95% above that.

I've only switched it on so I don't know the full story. Is anyone watching this ?

capping everyones salarie???????????? that's the most incredible thing I've heard from a political party in a while. I didn't think the Greens were that far left at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

This whole conference is fairly irrelevant as come the next time for the majority of those that voted green in the last general election to speak again the green party are screwed! Have a feeling that yet another of our second tier parties may disappear!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Gormley talking out of his arse as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Disagree with this.

care to elaborate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Disagree with this.
    I don't understand why you disagree, Sure even with the way it is now people JP McManus are already tax exilex, surely if everyone with a salery of €400,000 was taxed at 95% then why would they stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ah yes, because encouraging tax evasion is an excellent way to reap revenues. Anyone who thinks that a 95% tax rate on any salary level is a good idea should never be left near power. If you start applying ludicrous tax levels like that then people will either a) shift any money they earn over 400K onto things that aren't counted as income, expenses and the like, b) evade tax by not declaring fully income over 400K or c) because they're earning silly money actually go to the bother and expense of becoming non-resident.

You can tax the middle class to the hilt because they can't afford to dodge it but the ultra rich can so you might as well set a lowish tax rate and try to keep as many of them declaring their full incomes in this country as is possible.

Assuming of course that the goal is to generate the most public revenue rather than some moral notion that it's wrong to earn a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Is anyone watching this ?
    I wasn't, I was doing my bit for the enviroment and saving electric by not turning on my TV :p

Advertisement