Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping weeds out of cobblelocked path?

Options
  • 07-03-2009 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Sections of my cobblelocked path have gaps between the bricks, in which weeds are only too happy to live. Can anyone recommend the best way of keeping them out? Re-laying/pointing the gapped sections would be messy but is the only permanent solution I can think of. Weedkiller is an option but I'd prefer something more natural. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi all,
    Sections of my cobblelocked path have gaps between the bricks, in which weeds are only too happy to live. Can anyone recommend the best way of keeping them out? Re-laying/pointing the gapped sections would be messy but is the only permanent solution I can think of. Weedkiller is an option but I'd prefer something more natural. Thanks!

Usually cobbleock joints are backfille dwith brush-in type sand ie silicate sand, which is very fine for filling joints but will ultimately reflect any movement in pavers and/or ground conditions ie subsidence. Sand is of course free draining and an ideal growing medium for weeds.

You could brush in additional sand to fill new gaps or alternatively brush in a dry sand/cement mix and trickle with water from a watering can which will allow the mix to set and harden which should inhibit any further weed growth. Only problem is that two types of jointing ( sand and sand/cement mix) can look a little unsightly.

I would recommend repairs to match original finish and treat area with Pathclear (does not affect rrots) or for a more effective treatment use Roundup, which will kill both weed foliage above surface and also weed root.

Advertisement