Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite stout?.

• 07-03-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭

Howdy all, i would've been an avid guinness fan up until recently, but bought myself a can of beamish and a can of murphy's (both draught) last night.

I'm sure neither of them can compare to bottled stout, or a proper pint, but i was very impressed by murphy's!!. Despite being canned draught (widget etc.) it was lovely, and had none of that manky, bland taste that guinness draught cans have.

So,does anyone have any other recomendations for proper stout?.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I'd definitely recommend O'Haras stout. You can get it in most tescos. Really nice session stout. One of my favourite session drinks!
    O'Haras also do a celebration stout which is fabulous too if you can get your hands on it.

Guinness foreign extra is quite nice also and, if you can find it, I've heard good things about Guinness Special export but I havent managed to track that one down here yet!!

The Porterhouse also have some nice stouts available, if you get a chance tip in and try a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

the oyster stout in the porterhouse is pretty nice imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

In no particular order St Peters cream stout, Sierra Nevada Stout, O'Haras stout, Porterhouse Wrasslers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Porterhouse Wrasslers, Fullers London Porter, Messers Plain. I also like Guinness Extra Stout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

guinness extra is very nice,

Favourite is probably St.Ambroise its a Quebecois stout, very tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Sometimes I'll pour Goundenband into a pint glass and just pretend.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Sometimes I'll pour Goundenband into a pint glass and just pretend.

Try and get you hands on Rodenbach grand cru

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

I've only tried a few different stouts outside of the ones widely available in pubs, but I have to say O'Hara's is by far my favourite. Haven't had it in ages, but this thread has put it in my head to pick up a few bottles next time I'm in the off licence/supermarket.

Don't wish to hijack the thread, but seeing as it's a thread about stout, it's probably the best place for this question... Have any of you heard of a chocolate stout? I was told about it by a chap who loves his stout. Supposedly it's quite heavy, but tasty to have one or two bottles (think he said the name was Young or Young's, possibly an English stout/brand). Anyway, I'm just wondering has anyone tried it and if so what's it like? Also, does anyone know if it's available in Ireland and if so where (and a rough price if possible would be great)?

Thanks!

Oh yeah and I quite like the stout (Oyster?) that the Porterhouse do. Quite easy to drink even if you're out on a major one, it's not as heavy or filling as say Guiness IMO.

Its probably Youngs double chocolate stout...

chocolate-793912.jpg

Really nice chocolate stout, rich chocolate flavour as you'd imagine. Its Delicious but I dont think I could drink more than 2!! Def worth tracking down.
    I picked up mine in an offie is Galway but I'd imagine Redmonds of Ranelagh would be your best bet if your lookin for it.

Young's chocolate stout is common-ish around the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Excellent!!.Thanks for the suggestions all!!. Now have plenty of stuff on my to-try list :).

-O haras
    -Porterhouse
    -St Peter's
    -St ambroise
    -Messrs
    -Fullers london
    -Young's double chocolate (:D)

And i googled goundenband, got a lot of praise!!.Must try some too.

Now if only i had money....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Porterhouse do a seasonal Chocolate Truffle Stout too, which I think is far superior to Youngs DC Stout.

kenmc wrote: »
    Porterhouse do a seasonal Chocolate Truffle Stout too, which I think is far superior to Youngs DC Stout.

Should be available soon me thinks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

+1 on Wrassler's and O'Hara's. Look out for the new one in the O'Hara's range: Leann Folláin. I think it's barrel aged.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

oblivious wrote: »

My hands are soaking in it most of the time :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Should be available soon me thinks!

I thought it usually came out at around Autumn/Winter...no?

As an aside.

The Porterhouse in Phibsboro are selling their TSB from a cask at the moment.

Des wrote: »

As an aside.

I though it was a special for valentines and paddies day?

I though it was a special for valentines and paddies day?

Hmm.

I definitely remember being in Porterhouse Temple Bar of a cold evening and drinking it.

Well wiki says spring, which would tend to match up with these rating dates
    Hmm.
    I definitely remember being in Porterhouse Temple Bar of a cold evening and drinking it.
    Well that narrows it down to around an 11 month window then :)

Well wiki says spring, which would tend to match up with these rating dates

Excellent stuff.

I'm glad I was wrong, can't wait to see this back in the PH.

Lovely stuff.

Well that narrows it down to around an 11 month window then :)

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kork Boy

I'm not a big stout drinker but I always seem to go back to Guinness, i still have much to learn though :(

Chocolate Truffle Stout is generally part of the big stout promotion they do for the weeks following St Patrick's Day. I don't know how or if that'll be affected by the Irish Beer & Whiskey Festival they're running from 26th March this year.

TSB is a regular at PH North. They've done a big promotion on it around the Six Nations this year, though I think even the most rabid CAMRA-heads suspend their principles, and senses of taste, to drink Guinness when in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bierhaus in Cork have been selling it lately.

I love it now but didn't when I first tried it!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

Kork Boy wrote: »
    I'm not a big stout drinker but I always seem to go back to Guinness, i still have much to learn though :(

Can't go wrong with draught Guinness :) Nice to try other stouts but the only one I felt ever came close was Murphy's -when I was visiting Cork but a bit too sweet for regular drinking. Porter house stouts are pretty good but can be hit and miss on standard.
    Pint of plain is your only man can't be doing that chocolate stuff:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

Apologies for only returning to this thread now, internet troubles...
    slayerking wrote: »
    Its probably Youngs double chocolate stout...

Really nice chocolate stout, rich chocolate flavour as you'd imagine. Its Delicious but I dont think I could drink more than 2!! Def worth tracking down.
    I picked up mine in an offie is Galway but I'd imagine Redmonds of Ranelagh would be your best bet if your lookin for it.

Thanks, that's the one! I haven't managed to track it down yet. Tried my local offlicence, a Cheers! store and an O'Briens, but no luck (O'Briens staff looked at me like I'd 3 heads and had a laugh amongst themselves as if I was clinically insane :o). I'm going to try Molloys but after that I think I'll have to sort out some way of trekking over to Redmonds! If anyone has bought it/seen it recently, please do share details of where it's available (and if it's expensive?)?

I'll also keep an eye out for the Porterhouse truffle stout, sounds interesting!

Thanks for the info/advice gents.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

Ive always had a soft spot for Murphys. Love afew pints of it every now and again. I wouldnt be a huge stout fan but the Guinness Extra is absolutely beautiful!! Bursting with flavours!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I do have a love for Guinness Special Export (not to be confused with Foreign Extra).!

Guinness Extra is pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

Porterhouse Chocolate Truffle Stout is available now as part of their Irish Beer and Whiskey festival. It's lovely really chocolaty and smooth.

Other stouts to try are Wrasslers XXXX from the Porterhouse, Messers Maguire Plain and Sierra Nevada Stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

I love Murphy's tbh, mainly down to taste of it, and the fact that I can enjoy a good few of them and not get crazy drunk. I seem to notice a big difference between stout drunk and beer drunk. Stout a bit more chilled out...

Anyway that's personal preference, I have also noticed I've had much worse hangovers after a night on the Guinness(in Dublin, good pints), and to a lesser extent Beamish.

I thought I'd never drink Murph's straight from the can either, but I had a couple of cold ones at a house party before Christmas, and I was surprised at the result tbh. There were no clean glasses. Don't judge me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Whats the worst stout? I find oyster unpleasant after the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

I do have a love for Guinness Special Export (not to be confused with Foreign Extra).!

Guinness Extra is pretty good too.

I actually meant foreign extra.

cavedave wrote: »
    Whats the worst stout?
    Guinness.

Whats the worst stout?
    Quilmes (no offence, kenmc;)) and Leroy.

I don't think Guinness is bad, per se, it's just dull. The worst thing about it is the massive negative effect it's had on Irish stout and Irish stout drinkers. There's a cold and flavourless circle of hell reserved for the inventors of nitrogenation.

BeerNut wrote: »
    There's a cold and flavourless circle of hell reserved for the inventors of nitrogenation.

And the best reason to try the bottle version and ask your local to stock it!

Worst stout.... Castle milk stout is one I didnt enjoy!
    And the best reason to try the bottle version and ask your local to stock it!

The normal response I get when I ask for a pint bottle of stout is
    "We use to stock that, but it doesnt sell so we stopped".

I have seen some pubs stock the small 330ml bottle of Guinness, but its the same price as a pint is some places which I'll never understand why!

• Advertisement

slayerking wrote: »
    "We use to stock that, but it doesn't sell so we stopped".!

yea would it kill them to keep 6 or so bottles in stock, not exactly going to break the bank.It's also extremely lazy attitude, have they never heard of actually push the products they sell, ever other business appear to, rant off:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

For me it is O' Haras all the way.
    I did love the Youngs double chocolate and there is no way I could not mention the Porterhouse Wrasslers XXXX.
    Also worth a mention is the heavenly Fullers London Porter.

For pure drinkability and pleasure though it is a bottle of O'Haras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

I just got Mackeson in Sainsbury's. made by inbev. Nice aroma, fairly bland, sweet. Interesting stout to try though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I just got Mackeson in Sainsbury's. made by inbev. Nice aroma, fairly bland, sweet. Interesting stout to try though.

I recall being told that Mackeson stout was often given to sick people to help boost iron levels. Long time since I saw it in the UK, good spot :)

Advertisement