Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband

Options
  • 07-03-2009 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I'm a student with limited finances. We have wireless in College, and broadband from Chorus at home. I have a laptop and would like to be able to pick up the connection. I purchased routers before but nothing happened. Could someone please give me some decent advice. I really need to have internet access regularly, and working off the family PC isn't ideal.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

What kind of router did you buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭thesecretforme

I think it was a wireless router I can't remember the make I bought it off Ebay. I also bought something that plugs into the USB driver, but it never picked up any signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A wireless router isn't going to help you, that's for sharing a broadband connection, and not for connecting it to your laptop. The laptop needs Wifi, or a Wifi adapter (like a USB one).

If the Chorus broadband doesn't have a wireless router on it, then you'll need one for that. However, you'll need the right type. If you got a DSL/router, then that's not going to work. You want a broadband router. After that, you'll need a Wifi connection on the laptop, for at home or in college. If it's not picking up any signal, then either it doesn't work, it's not installed properly, or you're too far from the signal source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭thesecretforme

I'm not totally understanding what you are saying. I'm not being smart. I just don't understand. We have a Motorola Modem. I must have a Wifi Connection if I'm able to access it at College?

I think it was a Linkys one that I bought

Advertisement