Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dundalk FC Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2009

• 07-03-2009 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭

Sure all the Mickey Mouse Dublin clubs have one , so why not the pride of th Northeast :D

After last night defeat to Bohs at Oriel park , I shall open up this thread to discuss the positives that came out of the night.

I thought that Simon Kelly was Brilliant last night and was my Man of the Match. Georgie is still lacking some match fitness but is clearly going to be an assist to us throughout the season. Liam Burns looked very very solid and i Don't think our defense will cause us much problems this season , it;s our lack of fire power up front.Another note is the great crowd at the game looks likely to be announced at 4000+ .

So next game if 'm correct is away to Galway, who after coming off a great victory over St.Pats they will be confident in taking three points I think this is the type of game that we need to take at least a point from.

I cant wait for Mad Mickey to get his international clearance :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

I agree totally with you on Simon Kelly, he should be in the starting 11 next week.

I was really disappointed with us playing more or less 1 up front in the first half, with George behind the Fabio. I think it was a waste of George's talent as he seemed to just be given a free role and didn't exploit it. I don't know if it is the fact he isn't fully fit but I thought he looked rather lazy during the Celtic game and the game on Friday.

However, I am really happy with the defence, looked very solid. Bennion had one or two dodgy moments but I'm putting that down to nerves, first ever Premier League game?

Thats my thoughts anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Galway this friday :) should be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I'm sure benno has played some games for shels in the premier raoul?

I thought we did very well against the best team in the country. We looked very solid apart from one very well taken header from a long punt upfield. Thought all our players looked strong apart from Benno GOC and Singe although i would give them another chance next week.

Who will lose out if Collins returns for the Galway match though? I have a feeling Connor will drop Simon kelly, move shaun kelly to right back and play turner on the right where he has played him before during his time with Sligo.

If Manseram is fit that could change things yet again

It's great that we have selection headaches like this already and also players that can play in a number of positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

well if mansaram is fit, id expect georgie to move to teh wing, with singh being dropped.
    he was poor enough i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

If you can keep Turner fit (and off the gargle) he'll be a good player for you. He done more running for you on Friday night then he did in two seasons at Dalymount.

Singh is a waste of space and sure he'll get injured soon so you'll be ok there.

Burns will be your best signing but again the thing will be to keep him fit. He was at least 18 pounds overwieght when he played under Connor at Bohs.

• Advertisement

Singh plays on the left wing so Georgie wouldn't really be a replacement for him. Can't see connor dropping him either. If Manseram is fit it will likely be himself and O'Brien up front with Daly losing out.

Big game tonight (tuesday) in Oriel Park against Shamrock rovers , The shams havent looked great this season so far from what i have seen and read and the pitch should also add to our advantage. I expect to take the full three points here. full match report can be seen here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I predict a Riot.

I predict a Riot.

Nah all the schooligans should be at home watching the champions league , Also the stewards and Gardai were both excellent and had things under control for the drogheda game.

Anyway I' predicting a 2 - 0 victory to Dundalk. and no riot ;)

Not sure what to go to.

Pats & Derry vs Dundalk & Rovers.

Both look crackers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Not sure what to go to.

Both look crackers.

Cork -v- Drogheda:confused:

Cork -v- Drogheda:confused:

If I had a private jet.

Not sure what to go to.

Both look crackers.

come up to Oriel mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Looking forward tonights match. Reckon we should beat them without ''much'' hassle. 2-0 the town. :)

Awful conditions for the game. Great turnout by the Dundalk faithfull.

Never happened for the forwards of Dundalk. Ball never stuck and Mansaram never troubled the Rovers defence in the air despite the endless excellent set pieces from George O'Callaghan.

As we were leaving the Gardai were sprinting past us up the road.

I presume the there were some shapes being thrown by both sets of idiots at the end.

Yeah they sprinted past me at the end too. Idiots and their ''firms''. Agree with the Mansaram comment. For the height of him he was getting beat in the air everytime. Even wee TJ got more headers than him before he was taken off. We had total possesion in the second half, pitty we couldnt turn it into goals though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

That must be a worrying defeat. We've been leaking goals with 11 men, never mind 10, but still held out.

guys i cant emphasize how bad the shams supporters behaved after the game.

enough said or else i will get banned.

What happend? I seen them legging it down the street but I assumed the Gardai would have had it under control as they were everywhere outside Oriel. No horses this time like the Bohs and Drogs matches though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

If I had a private jet.

Is it not just the equivalent of an away game?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Sarge wrote: »
    guys i cant emphasize how bad the shams supporters behaved after the game.

Wasn't at the game myself but two work mates one a Rovers fan who was there and the other a Dundalk chap who was also there were telling me what happened.

The Rovers fan said they were held back 15mins inside the ground, nothing wrong there, but then 15 mins outside after. He didn't know why and once the Gardai said move on he went.

The Dundalk fan told me that there were a few Dundalk fans came up from the village after the game to have a fight with anyone who was interested and tried to have a go at the Rovers fans. Gardai quickly got them away.

Have to say, judging by these two lads I don't see how the Rovers fans were to blame here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Never happened for the forwards of Dundalk. Ball never stuck and Mansaram never troubled the Rovers defence in the air despite the endless excellent set pieces from George O'Callaghan.

In general:
    1.Dazzler doesnt win headers
    2.The ball doesnt stick to the Dazzler

He is however a good addition to your squad, when it clicks it clicks, when it doesnt it really doesnt

Bit like a LOI Bobby Zamora:)

What did people think of George's performance?

I thought he sat way too deep in the 2nd half.

He was spraying glorious passes all match. The 10 men of Rovers sitting back and conditions made it difficult to get a killer ball through though. As it was Singh and Mansaram were not on their game to take advantage of some of the space he did create.

A fit Fabio O'Brien & George will make all the difference to Dundalk for rest of season.

Rumour has it that were going to sign Ger Rowe , I havent seen enough of him to be a good judge. I really think that we will struggle this season.

Liam burns is about 2 stone over weight and doesnt look the same player we was last year at Bohs.

The July window for me cant come fast enough when we see Mad Mikey Collins brought into the squad along with hopefully a few more faces.

I like Ger Rowe as a player.

Very clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

What did people think of George's performance?

I thought he sat way too deep in the 2nd half.

He was spraying glorious passes all match. The 10 men of Rovers sitting back and conditions made it difficult to get a killer ball through though. As it was Singh and Mansaram were not on their game to take advantage of some of the space he did create.

A fit Fabio O'Brien & George will make all the difference to Dundalk for rest of season.
    would agree he never hurt rovers sat way to deep, once again dundalk were let down by their wingers.too many crosses came from the center circle which are too easy to defend

so we did sign ger rowe then :) i love been right ..... eh playing cairk tonight cant imagine we will take anything from this game :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Yea can't see any points been taken tonight. Would be very happy with a draw. Maybe George will be stirred into action against his old buddies. I wouldn't be all that happy with his performances to date. On the ball too often in places that are not dangerous to opposition. No need for him to be taking the ball off the back four.

Think O'Brien might get a goal tonight though..

rumour has it Micheal Collins will be available for the trip to Derry :D

• Advertisement

Connor OUT ! !

Another loss , and im sure we will hear another story by the spoofer how we "were unlucky".

3-1 to the shams did flatter them but nonetheless , we go away with no points and i cant even remember when the last time we scored from open play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Connor OUT ! !

Man needs to get some decent touchline attire.

The kids in the crowd didn't need to be exposed to those shorts. :D

stovelid wrote: »
    Man needs to get some decent touchline attire.

The kids in the crowd didn't need to be exposed to those shorts. :D

heh ! Very impressed with Tallaght lads ! Well done with everything .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The Dundalk fans were class last night, singing for nearly the whole match...

...in contrast to Rovers, who were pretty quiet until it went 2-1 :eek:

Dundalk are about to confirm Barcelona to Oriel Park !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Is that not a "Barcelona XI" managed by Luis Enrique? As far as I know it will be similar to the "legends" teams which Liverpool etc have done here recently.

It will be good all the same id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

gimmick wrote: »
    Is that not a "Barcelona XI" managed by Luis Enrique? As far as I know it will be similar to the "legends" teams which Liverpool etc have done here recently.

It will be good all the same id say.

Wrong.

Its the Barca reserve/U23 side.

http://www.dundalkfc.com/home.asp

Its confirmed !!!!!!!

3 wins in a row , has the break come at a bad time for us ?

What a great win last night down in cork and at 17/2 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

Great win, played very well in the first half. I hope that Fabio stays, I think he is a quality player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

O Brien has quality ok but lacks discipline, picked up another stupid booking last night. Great win though and with a few a new faces coming hopefully can keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Raoul wrote: »
    Great win, played very well in the first half. I hope that Fabio stays, I think he is a quality player.

Word on the street is that he's pretty unhappy at how unprofessionally the club is run. He doesn't get on with Connor either according to a few sources.

He's washed up anyway. Used to be a great player but hes nothing like he used to be. Thats both Louth teams that have beaten Cork this year!!!

Ticket prices for both games will be the same as a normal Category A league match and bookings are now being taken at Oriel Park, telephone 042-9335894. Further details of the Barcelona friendly will be announced at a later date.

What prices are they? Can't find anything on your website.

€15.

I'm looking forward to these games. Will be nice to have some Spanish opposition to see a different style of play than we're used to.

Hopefully Celtic will bring a few fans too given they are playing a good side in Atletico Madrid B.

Yeah well , I would be hoping that the club even breaks even from this to be honest. If we make anything on it then thats a plus :-)

Declan O'Brien gone on loan to St. Pat's after he fell out with Sean Connor.

€15 for what? Terrace or seating? Adult or student? Looking for student prices I forgot to say for both standing and seating.:D

TWO MORE SIGNINGS CONFIRMED
    Following a meeting this afternoon between Sean Connor and Gerry Matthews, Dundalk Football Club can confirm the signing of full-back Michael McGowan and midfielder Paul McAreavey. More to follow.

TWO MORE SIGNINGS CONFIRMED
    Following a meeting this afternoon between Sean Connor and Gerry Matthews, Dundalk Football Club can confirm the signing of full-back Michael McGowan and midfielder Paul McAreavey. More to follow.

Did McArevey play for Linfield? Don't know this michael mcgowan chap. Any more info?

Advertisement