Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there many from the Republic applying and indeed serving with the PSNI?

• 07-03-2009 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hi All,

was just wondering are there many people from the Republic applying? I also wondered are there many actually serving with the PSNI at present who are from the Republic?

Cheers

JB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Older

Hi there JB,

I am from the republic and I am starting tomorrow morning! I had my induction 2 weeks ago and the guy who directed me that morning is from the republic also. I know of 3 other people who are from the South and currently serving up North and it seems that everyone loves it. It doesnt matter where you are from as long as you have an open mind and are completed commited to what you want to do. Some people go to England to play football, others to New York to work in a bank. If you are thinking of applying then there is pretty much all the info you will need about the whole process on boards or on the new PSNI applications website. If after studying it all it seems like the job for you then go for it. It took me two attempts though and I first applied just over two years ago so you'll have plenty of time to have second thoughts! Hope that helps

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Yep. I'm from Dublin and I joined years ago. Best decision I ever made. Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 P365

Yip I'm from south of the border too and this is my first time applying too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭innercitydub1

Just applied there for the PSNI

Im currently awaiting to hear back on my Garda Reserve application waitinga year and half

meanwhile im currently in college studing social policy

My plan is to apply for the garda psni scot police and what ever one i make it for thats where i am meant to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Fiacmar

Also from Dublin, passed out recently, really enjoying it. Have met a load of people from the south of the border already serving, and there's quite a few currently going through the college now too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Rob-117

I'm from dublin and fiacmar is a dick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Rob-117 wrote: »
    I'm from dublin and fiacmar is a dick

Tad inappropriate no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

Tad inappropriate no?

about as inapropriate as people slaggin off other folk. lol:D
    its all in good humour. pretty sure them 2 no each other and its playfull banter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Fiacmar

Penis Eye wrote: »
    about as inapropriate as people slaggin off other folk. lol:D
    its all in good humour. pretty sure them 2 no each other and its playfull banter!

We do, and it is! Or at least its supposed to be, he's just not very good at playfull because Rob is a knob. :P

But back on topic... If coming up from the South, be prepared to answer the "why not the Gardai" question about a hundred times in the first week, but after that, south of the border is just another place to be from, and there's people that join from all over the place. Of course, some of the lads will use any excuse to try to get you to say "thoirty treee and a thoird". But that works both ways, I refer you to PSNI's previous pahrrr sharrr comment... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Fiacmar wrote: »
    We do, and it is! Or at least its supposed to be, he's just not very good at playfull because Rob is a knob. :P

I doubt many of the Boardsies are blessed with sixth sense and would know that!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I refer you to PSNI's previous pahrrr sharrr comment... ;)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Troy Bayliss

Met quite a few during recruitment campaigns at medicals etc so there could well be. Far more I might ad than Northerner's in the Garda which may well be near zero...

But back on topic... If coming up from the South, be prepared to answer the "why not the Gardai" question about a hundred times in the first week, but after that, south of the border is just another place to be from, and there's people that join from all over the place. Of course, some of the lads will use any excuse to try to get you to say "thoirty treee and a thoird". But that works both ways, I refer you to PSNI's previous pahrrr sharrr comment... ;)

He only joined the psni to use his accent to get girls, it's shameless really:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Alpha10

Hi all just applied and was wondering if i got the job can you live in the republic or would you have to move north?

thanks in advance

Alpha10 wrote: »
    Hi all just applied and was wondering if i got the job can you live in the republic or would you have to move north?

thanks in advance

You can live in the south but they don't like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

Why do they not like it?

Thanks for all the replies guys. Im in two minds myself wether to apply or not.

I have a lot of questions so i shall get reading the various threads!!

JB

Rob-117 wrote: »
    You can live in the south but they don't like it

They don't? You sure about that? I know Constables who live in the Republic and it has never once come up as an issue.

psni wrote: »
    They don't? You sure about that? I know Constables who live in the Republic and it has never once come up as an issue.

I was talkin to the guy in charge of placing students in their districts and he just said for security reasons don't don't like it and if there's a threat made against you they can't help with relocation fees etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

hi all going to apply myself though had to think twice after the scum shot an officer last night, my girlfreind aint to happy about me applying either so a bit in the ear over that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭fortuneteller

I suspect a lot will drop out after hearing about that shooting.Many are now applying because of the economic situation also.Anyone that is genuinely interested wont be put off,and will already know what they are getting into.

• Advertisement
Advertisement