Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magee has stepped aside from duties but remains bishop of cloyne

Options
  • 07-03-2009 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

Bishop Magee steps aside over Cloyne controversy - The Irish Times - Sat, Mar 07, 2009
    Bishop John Magee of Cloyne has been replaced in his diocesan duties following criticism over his handling of child abuse cases in the diocese.

A statement issued by the Irish Bishops’ Conference in Maynooth today said Pope Benedict had appointed the Archbishop of Cashel and Emly, Dr Dermot Clifford, to assume the powers and duties of the Bishop of Cloyne.

However, Bishop Magee will retain the title of Bishop of Cloyne.

The statement said Bishop Magee had made a formal request to Pope Benedict on February 4th last to appoint an apostolic administrator to carry out “the ordinary governance” of the Diocese of Cloyne.

this is frustrating, will he just go he doesn't deserve the title
    ,hopefully some group of school reps and parents has made enough noise to achieve this
    A separate statement from the Cloyne Diocese today said the appointment of Archbishop Clifford would “enable Bishop Magee to devote the necessary time and energy to cooperating fully with the government Commission of Inquiry into child protection practices and procedures in the Diocese of Cloyne, as he has already committed himself to do.”

... i presume that someone else taking over his powers and duties means he's not in charge of child protection anymore.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Am I the only one wondering why this person has not been criminally charged?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Mena wrote: »
    Criminal law isn't my thing, but I'd imagine it would be difficult to make a charge of conspiracy stick -- I'm not sure how much legislation there is in this area.

More generally, I'm simply surprised that there seem to be plenty of people out there who still trust the church with their kids.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Pope Benedict had appointed the Archbishop of Cashel and Emly, Dr Dermot Clifford, to assume the powers and duties of the Bishop of Cloyne.
    I wonder if the 'powers' they mention above actually include supernatural ones...

No really, I'm serious! Does being Bishop supposedly give you extra powers?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dades wrote: »
    I wonder if the 'powers' they mention above actually include supernatural ones...

As far as I know a bishop can make someone an exorcist, whether or not he bestows any actual power on them I'm not sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Does being Bishop supposedly give you extra powers?
    I think you get a +5 Crozier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

they don't need to use the operator

they got the direct line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Does being Bishop supposedly give you extra powers?

Of course! The Magic Hat of Bishopness, duh!!! There's a lot of Jesus's power pent up in those hats you know... the first trick they usually learn is "The Power of Appearing Taller Than Most Folk via the Magic Hat of Bishopness so as to Exude a Sense Of Authority and Dominion"... or something along those lines, can't remember exactly how it goes.

They have a Magic Stick as well don't they? And a Magic Ring, which one must kiss.

So I think it's safe to say that yes, they do have extra powers.

Or were you talking about extra administrative & clerical powers?...

Why should he be criminally charged?

Overblood wrote: »
    Why should he be criminally charged?

For purposely hiding child abusers from the law perhaps?

Ah. Don't really know much about this guy sorry! I'll do some googling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is going to make an awesome film some day. Actually it reminds me of a friend's idea for a film set in mythic USSR where one's party rank is determined by the might of your supernatural martial arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Galvasean wrote: »

I thought as much was obvious :confused:.

Overblood, why do you think he should not be?

Edit: Missed OB's reply, ignore this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Galvasean wrote: »

Or some form of corporate negligence, perhaps.

Hasn't happened anywhere in the world yet in similar cases, to my knowledge, and its very very unlikely that this kip is going to take the lead.

Nodin wrote: »
    Or some form of corporate negligence, perhaps.

At the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

In the UK, if you have knowledge or suspicion that a child is being abused in some way, and you do not report this to the authorities, then you are committing a criminal offense. I was almost certain this was the same in Ireland.

If this were indeed the case, then any member of this child abuse cult that knew of, or even suspected, that a priest was raping children would be guilty of a crime. If they then went that step further and took action, like moving them or ortherwise hiding their actions, then I would have thought that they would be guilty of an even more serious offense.

Why do they seem to get special treatment is this kind of case?

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    In the UK, if you have knowledge or suspicion that a child is being abused in some way, and you do not report this to the authorities, then you are committing a criminal offense. I was almost certain this was the same in Ireland.

If this were indeed the case, then any member of this child abuse cult that knew of, or even suspected, that a priest was raping children would be guilty of a crime. If they then went that step further and took action, like moving them or ortherwise hiding their actions, then I would have thought that they would be guilty of an even more serious offense.

Why do they seem to get special treatment is this kind of case?

MrP

Indeedy.

There was even a standard Church procedure which he failed to implement, so its not like they can use the 'no idea how to handle this kind of thing' line. Plus this isn't "new" anymore. He should be charged, as much to send a message as for his own criminal neglect (not dealing with child molesters....for fvcks sake....what kind of rat bastard fails to deal with that?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

indo says he going to quit fully when he finished dealing with the inquiry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭bluecell99

No,but why surprise or shock even.NO cleric has ever been charged with witholding information or assisting the escape of paedophiles.

It aint going to happen .

Advertisement