Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL mail through Eircom problems in the last few days.

Options
  • 07-03-2009 4:54pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, can anyone help or have any idea what's going on with this?..

I've been using iol.ie mail addresses through an Eircom BB connect for years now and never had a problem. But since 4 or 5 days ago I've only been able to receive mail but cannot send mail through it. I've been getting this error in Eudora:

Error talking to SMTP server [421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 159.134.198.135 ]

I hadn't changed anything on my end, settings have always been the same: SMTP mail1.eircom.net and POP gpo.iol.ie. I've tried all the variations in case something had changed but none of them worked, mail.eircom.net webmail.eircom.net and even the POP ones mail.iol.ie etc.

I can send and receive the iol.ie mail through webmail but thats a pain in the a$$ as I use Eudora normally. Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

BT may have changed the rules for connecting to their SMTP server, much like eircom already restrict it to people using an eircom connection. Change your SMTP (outgoing) server to eircom's, which I think is mail2.eircom.net (or mail1 or just mail). Check their support pages for outgoing server and you should find one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I am using Eircom's SMTP (see OP). It's suppsed to be mail1.eircom.net but I've tried everything, mail,mail2,gpo,webmail.eircom.net. It's been working for years, I hope BT haven't restricted it so it only works from a BT connect. Pretty anoying that if you go away on holidays or use a wifi connect on your laptop that you can't even use your email programs and are forced to use that crappy webmail. Someone must know what's going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Blade wrote: »
    I am using Eircom's SMTP (see OP). It's suppsed to be mail1.eircom.net but I've tried everything, mail,mail2,gpo,webmail.eircom.net. It's been working for years, I hope BT haven't restricted it so it only works from a BT connect. Pretty anoying that if you go away on holidays or use a wifi connect on your laptop that you can't even use your email programs and are forced to use that crappy webmail. Someone must know what's going on?

The rule is that you always use your ISP SMTP mail server setting for sending e-mail so in your case you should just need to change that to webmail.eircom.net and use pop.iol.ie to receive e-mails from BT webmail server.

Vanbis

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Vanbis wrote: »
    The rule is that you always use your ISP SMTP mail server setting for sending e-mail so in your case you should just need to change that to webmail.eircom.net and use pop.iol.ie to receive e-mails from BT webmail server.

Vanbis

That's exactly what I am doing!! Please read the posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Blade wrote: »
    SMTP mail1.eircom.net and POP gpo.iol.ie.

I think you need to READ my post again because my SMTP is different to the one you are using. The thanks you get for trying to help.

Why dont you contact Your ISP!

I see you tried that one already. I wont apologise because of your Ignorance.

• Advertisement

Vanbis wrote: »
    I think you need to READ my post again because my SMTP is different to the one you are using. The thanks you get for trying to help.

Why dont you contact Your ISP!

I see you tried that one already. I wont apologise because of your Ignorance.

What ignorance, all I said was " Please read the posts ". Both of them clearly state that I've tried all that. No need to apologise, but please don't make me repeat myself a 3rd time.Thank you.

Advertisement