Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling

• 07-03-2009 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey this is my first post.
    My job is moving and currently i am using public transport. However where my company is moving to (Grangecastle) there is no public transport.
    So the plan is to buy a bike and start cycling to work. I will be cycling from Tallaght to Grange castle.
    Has anyone any tips on what would be the best type of bike to buy.
    I have never really cycled apart from the usual when i was younger. I think this will be a good way to build up fitness though.
    Is it pretty difficult to go from having never really cycled to cycling 5 days a week?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Depends on a few things, I have no idea of the journey length and the road condition, and if you are willing to break the law and not use cycletracks!

You will see all the guys in the cycling forum recommending road bikes as they are concerned with efficiency. I am back cycling my mountain bike to work specifically because it is NOT efficient. I burn more calories on the same route. It is also safer since I cannot get up the same speed. The cycletracks are in absolute tatters, a roadbike would not last pissing time on them.

A good comprimise is a hybrid bike, which I also have, these are a cross between a mountain bike and racer/road bike. The dearer they get the more they tend to be like road bikes. They are more efficient than a mountain bike in the same price range.

Do not skimp, I would spend a minimum of €400. Also check out http://www.bikescheme.ie/ to avail of a decent discount.

I went cycling 5 days a week pretty easily, I was very unfit so did not tax myself, I left myself an hour to do it, I am now down around 20mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I agree with Rubadub. I was using a mountain bike but changed to a lighter bike with narrow wheels which is definitely quicker than the old bike, but I miss the mountain bike for two reasons:
    1. It was much more stable and safer even though a bit slower
    2. It was also more comfortable with the bigger wheels and wider tyres.

I'd say get a mountain bike. Budget around €400-€450 for a decent machine

That run from Tallaght to Grangecastle is pretty straightforward. I presume you're going to use the by-pass and up through Jobstown - maybe 5 miles. A half hour at most, though remember it's against the wind on the way to work.
    You'll do it handy enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The problem I would see with a mountain bike is that you'd end up in work and could be very sweaty if you dont have showers.

It'd also be an absolute bitch to have to drag home come friday evening. They carry a huge amount of excess weight. I find cycling a mountain bike to be a chore.

Yes, I arrive in bits on my mountain bike, as I try to keep up my usual speed, great calorie burner though!

My commute is 4.5miles, I did take 60mins starting out, that was on a mountain bike, and I had to get off and walk at some points as I was so unfit! I weighed 15-20kg more then too.

My mountain bike is only around 1kg heavier than the hybrid. The fat tyres have more resistance on the road, and it has suspension which zaps energy too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I use a mountain bike to get to and from work. Just under four miles...don't get too sweaty but mostly because I usually just wear a t-shirt and very light jacket and give myself a wipe with baby wipes when I get in. Coming home is mostly uphill and against the wind and is murder though.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

mp1972 wrote: »
    Coming home is mostly uphill and against the wind and is murder though.:(

Ah the wind ! I never knew it existed till I bought a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

The wind also always seems to be against you, no matter which direction your traveling!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm generally anti hybrid, I think everyone should have a road bike for the road, I don't have to commute to work though. You couldn't go far wrong with one of these though:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Focus_Marakas_2008/5360032164/

Or something similar.

Tallaght to grange castle is handy enough, no hills at all really. Where in Tallaght are you going from?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Reyman wrote: »
    Ah the wind ! I never knew it existed till I bought a bike.

Me either. I never realised that I live on a massive but very discreet hill either though.
    The wind also always seems to be against you, no matter which direction your traveling!!

Aye...why is that? :mad:

I'm generally anti hybrid, I think everyone should have a road bike for the road, I don't have to commute to work though.
    It is illegal to cycle on the road for the majority of many peoples commutes, and you honestly do need an off-road bike or strong hybrid to tackle many of the cycletracks out there. The gardai are issued with mountain bikes.

mp1972 wrote: »
    Aye...why is that? :mad:
    Unless almost directly behind you it is a hindrance. I cannot find a link but some country had these wind vane things on cycletracks. They were designed to capture the wind and have it blow into a tunnel on the cycle track to push you along in that direction. It was like a whole series of windsails along the edge of the track.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 romanm

Unless almost directly behind you it is a hindrance. I cannot find a link but some country had these wind vane things on cycletracks. They were designed to capture the wind and have it blow into a tunnel on the cycle track to push you along in that direction. It was like a whole series of windsails along the edge of the track.[/QUOTE]
    Cool.I have never heart of that. Apart of crazy weather in Ireland I experienced horrible wind sometimes in Netherlands,where I used to live for 3 years.I was cycling every day 12 km to/back and sometimes was just too tired.The reason?The wind.Many many times I wanted to dump the bike to the canal and to walk instead.It's pity Dublin is not a good place for cycling(too crowded and very busy). And my advise to every cyclist in Dublin,beware of the thieves!!!Everyone has his own story, I was not listening to the other people while greenhorn in Dublin and after 1 month of happy cycling 1 day I lost my bike/stolen during the day from the front of the house I used to live at that time.

Advertisement