Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double standard,football and tv.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

DeVore wrote: »
    Papa... I despair. My linguistics are clearly not up to this but I will try one more time.

I don't think the problem lies with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This is something I've always wondered about.
    As a football fan, I like it when links are posted.

However I would suggest that the admins really look into this in terms of legal advice. I know of two sites (one that provided streams and one that linked to streams[but provided other stuff, like downloadable past matches) that have been shut down due to legal action from the EPL. They do take this sort of stuff fairly seriously. Luckily its still on a particularly small scale in terms of how many people do it, but any successful site that has down this [bar one that I know of that still works] has been shut down.

Every link is to a TV station somewhere in the world, whether it be Fox Soccer channel, Setanta US, Al-Jaazera, or sometimes Sky Sports UK streamed onto the Internet. I'd imagine it's illegal to re-broadcast TV stations. I'd also imagine that the EPL have got copyright on their product (the matches) and as such accessing them without permission is probably illegal. I'm pretty sure nearly all of the streams posted of football are actually illegal, although with differing levels.

I've really no idea how the law works, but I think NBM's point is the right one, that unless you guys are 100% sure that you are sound, or at least have a strong legal opinion backing you up, I'd be a little more wary about allowing it just because I've seen other sites just shut down for it.

Then again, you seem to be fairly confident about the law and what you're required to do, so maybe its just over-concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Ok, I'm going to try this again.

1. We have sought legal advice on this.
    2. The legal advice stated we are clear.

Unless people here have legal qualifications above our advisors, I'm unsure what you think you can tell us that we don't know.

While people have opinions (and feedback always has opinions, ignorant or not) here, none of them are helpful in any way unless you actually know what you're talking about. Comparing the things being said here to he advice we received on the issue, few here know what they are talking about.

The soccer forum is run in a way that is deemed in the best interest of the forum. With that in mind, do people here really think that the soccer forum mods would endanger the forum by allowing something that posed a legal threat?

Really?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement