Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL in Palmerstown

Options
  • 07-03-2009 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

I have eircom 3mb DSL and after two weeks of very very slow internet and their support saying they don't know when it will be fixed as they are backed up with problems, I am considering switching to NTL.

I don't think switching to another DSL provider will make a difference as I think they just use the same exchanges as eircom which is the cause of my (and everyone one my area's) very slow net speeds.

So that leaves NTL and I have seen some problems people have with them at peak times in these forums, and I'm wondering if their is anyone on the boards here with NTL in Palmerstown who can tell me what it's like. I will be using it for Ethernet mostly.

The guy from NTL said their contention is 17:1 which seems great compared to eircoms 48:1.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I have eircom 3mb DSL and after two weeks of very very slow internet and their support saying they don't know when it will be fixed as they are backed up with problems, I am considering switching to NTL.

I don't think switching to another DSL provider will make a difference as I think they just use the same exchanges as eircom which is the cause of my (and everyone one my area's) very slow net speeds.

So that leaves NTL and I have seen some problems people have with them at peak times in these forums, and I'm wondering if their is anyone on the boards here with NTL in Palmerstown who can tell me what it's like. I will be using it for Ethernet mostly.

The guy from NTL said their contention is 17:1 which seems great compared to eircoms 48:1.

Thanks

Is this available in Palmerstown? each time I ring up they say it will be a few more months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Irish Warrior

I was checking broadband on websites, putting in my phone number to see etc...next day a NTL sales guy rang to see if I was interested.

He said I can get up to 20mb, no cap usage limits with a 17:1 contention.

If they only recently got out to Palmerstown I guess no one there will know what the service is like. If so I think I'll switch, can't be any worse than what I have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

I was checking broadband on websites, putting in my phone number to see etc...next day a NTL sales guy rang to see if I was interested.

He said I can get up to 20mb, no cap usage limits with a 17:1 contention.

If they only recently got out to Palmerstown I guess no one there will know what the service is like. If so I think I'll switch, can't be any worse than what I have now.

I'm in Palmerstown and have had UPC broadband for over a year now. Some issues with ip traffic routing can cause the occasional bit of lag while gaming but for downloading I find it excellent. I'm on 20mb and and nearly always get full speed.

I would recommend it.

Advertisement