Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for Grass??

Options
  • 07-03-2009 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

My 1.5 year old Lab has the garden DESTROYED!!! Is it too early/cold/wet to start sowing the grass seeds to try help it recover?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

Wait till the ground dries up a bit and the weather warms, the seed will strike better then.Sow end of this month till middle august.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

What are you going to do with the dog? I'd say there's no point sowing grass seed if he's still galloping around out there. Can you cordon an area off for him?

Friend of mine has a pretty standard sized suburban Irish garden - e.g. anywhere from 9 - 15 metres wide and similar length. She has a lurcher and a springer spaniel cross. She had a nice back deck built and that winter, it became like a desert island in a sea of mud. The dogs tracked mud into the deck and through the house and finally she gave up trying to wash the kitchen floor three times a day. When the spring and summer came in, the grass grew back fairly well - strongly in the centre of the garden, but still bald, bare, packed earth where the dogs had a 'racing circle' around the garden perimeter, one side of the swing where they dug at it all the time, and so on.

Have you enough space to cordon off a section for him/her?

(Her solution was she saved every penny she could get her hands on, and paid for artifical grass. Because she'd reduced the size of the garden with a large deck, a shed and some flower beds, it worked out quite reasonably and now children and dogs coexist in outdoor harmony because the place isn't a mudbath.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I have sowed already to thickin up a few bald patches. Whats the harm of doing it now?

Have I wasted a tenner on seed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Over the years I've seen many families, wishing and wanting the best play area for children and family pets (usually a dog) to be reduced to tears simply because the area was small and there was no escaping the wear and tear done to the lawn.

In severe case it can be very upsetting, and when the weather is poorly, the area is not only very unsightly but unuseable. As MJD said, what's the point of having a deck island in a sea of mud. We've all seen gardens destroyed by pets, patio doors and walls 're-painted' with muddied paws etc. It is a tough situation because rightly so parents love the children and the family pet is part of the family. Expecting dogs to behave like sentries and simply walk and not run is unrealistic.

But the good news is that there is an ideal solution not only for challenging gardens with pets, but also for sites where for whatever reason (shade, excessive dampness, topography etc grass will not grow, or would be difficult to maintain. Synthetic grass available is available in a range of grades to suit a variety of environments to transform any area into a lush green all weather surface - a green dream indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Lidl are selling 2kg of good quality seed for 5 euro this week.

B&Q are selling 500g good quality seed for 10 euro .

get your self down to Lidl .

• Advertisement
Advertisement