Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding forum to website

Options
  • 07-03-2009 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Im looking to add a forum to a website Im developing and I have a few questions, I dont have much experience of web development:

1) Is it a big undertaking integrating a forum into site or is it just a matter of setting up the forum software and having a link to it from the main site?

2) Id ideally like to use vBulletin forum software as imo its the best out there, will this pose a problem as my site is being written in ASP.NET...will I need to know php to use vBulletin?

3) Is there much maintenance required in running a forum or is it basically self sufficient bar having to moderate it and delete trash posts/accounts?

Cheers.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

1) entirely up to you on how much integration you want to have. You can have none, or something like vbdrupal.

2) will depend on your server setup, but I imagine it would be a pain in the ass. Has never come up for me before.

3) Most OOTB forum software will require periodic security updates, sometimes for very serious flaws, so even a small forum does require ongoing maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

+1 on everything CuLT said, plus decide on your moderation technique......you'll definitely need to keep an eye on what people are saying and be prepared to remove any dodgy posts...

PLUS you'll probably have your work cut out with spammers trying to register....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

Ok, hmmm, dont know what to do now, from looking around the net I cant see any forum software for asp.net that comes close to vbulletin.

I have another question, I want to register the domain name but I dont have a company set up yet. I think I read that the order you do things is to get the company registered first then the domain name. Is it possible to do it the other way around and just transfer ownership of the domain name from yourself (as a person) to your company once you register it? I would like to register the domain fairly quickly as Ive read of quite a few cases where people didn't bother registering for a week or whatever and the domain name was taken by that stage.

Advertisement