Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to email from work exchange server

• 07-03-2009 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

We have a microsoft exchange server at work and we would like to get access to email on the move. I understand nokia provide a sync service with microsoft exchange, windows mobile devices obviously work and I believe you can set up blackberry BIS to get access. There will be 2-3 users.
    I don't know what route to go can anyone give recommendations? We are on O2 and will be sticking with it so my options are;

Blackberry - 8900 or bold
    Nokia - E71
    Windows mobile - Palm treo pro or Samsung i780

I want push capability, the ability for the desktop email to show as read if I read it on the phone, and sent items on the phone to show up on my desktop also.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

If you have made up your mind to stay with O2 then you should be talking to O2 CC to see what the best deal you can get is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i use mail for exchange on a nokia e66 works very well, i think the blackberry service needs the enterprise version to work with exchange which costs bucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Nokia mail (mail for exchange) work exactly the same as WMA, so if your WMA devices can already access your mail then Nokia mail for exchange will work right out of the box.

I don't believe BB BIT (internet service) keeps deleted mails in sync. That would mean that you would delete it on the handset and also have to delete it manually on the server. BB enterprise server does keep them in sync but then you would have to purchase the enterprise licenses and why would you do that if you already run MS exchange?

All you need from O2 or any other operator is a data package for your handsets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

elderlemon wrote: »
    Nokia mail (mail for exchange) work exactly the same as WMA, so if your WMA devices can already access your mail then Nokia mail for exchange will work right out of the box.

I don't believe BB BIT (internet service) keeps deleted mails in sync. That would mean that you would delete it on the handset and also have to delete it manually on the server. BB enterprise server does keep them in sync but then you would have to purchase the enterprise licenses and why would you do that if you already run MS exchange?

All you need from O2 or any other operator is a data package for your handsets.

It's odd that O2 don't offer wireless reconciliation, i.e. when emails deleted from the handset are also deleted from the server, for Blackberry Internet service users, as Vodafone have offered that feature for Blackberry Internet service users for years now.

OP, the main difference between Mail for Exchange and Direct Push on Windows Mobile handsets is that Direct Push can sync all folders of a user's work email or web email accounts, whereas Mail for Exchange cannot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I got an response from o2 and they say that bis will give me access to exchange mail. Not sure if read mails will sync on my desktop. Anyone any experiences of this. Do you have to pay for direct push on wma.

• Advertisement

Not sure why you would want to put another email service in between you on your exchange server - only do this if you really want to have BB handsets. Otherwide it doesn't make sense.

There is nothing extra for direct push using exchange to wma or Nokia handsets. You would of course have data charges.

richieg wrote: »
    I got an response from o2 and they say that bis will give me access to exchange mail. Not sure if read mails will sync on my desktop. Anyone any experiences of this. Do you have to pay for direct push on wma.

I don't understand what you mean by another email service? Once setup how would this effect me?
    Any recommendations on the WMA and Nokia phones I am considering

I have a personel e71 but the keyboard is starting to annoy me, keys are too small!

With blackberry enterprise (BES) you install a connector on your ms exchange server. blackberry polls the inbox's regularly and when new mail is found it forwards to the rim network operations servers, from there it is passed to the operator (o2) for delivery to your handset. The problem with this is that you are at the mercy of RIM and the operator to have everything up and running all the time.

With MS exchange activesync you have a direct connection from your handset to the exchange server. The only operator piece you are relying on is the 3g network.

As for handsets - if you don't like the E71 then I don't know. Its hands down the best nokia business phone and they have sold millions of them. Take a look at other Nokia qwerty phones or even other manufacturers that support mail for exchange.
    I don't understand what you mean by another email service? Once setup how would this effect me?
    Any recommendations on the WMA and Nokia phones I am considering

I have a personel e71 but the keyboard is starting to annoy me, keys are too small!

I think the E71 is a great phone except i find the keyboard a little too small.

The other thing I was thinking about was an iphone as they work with exchange. Does anyone have any experience of this or the Palm Treo Pro?

The keyboard isn't that bad. You get used to it very quickly. We standardized on the E71 in our company and its proved a great choice. The only additional software we installed was the roadsync mail client. We did look at the iphone but found it too restrictive and too expensive as a solution.

Don't know anything about the treo pro so can't help you there.

I think the E71 is a great phone except i find the keyboard a little too small.

The other thing I was thinking about was an iphone as they work with exchange. Does anyone have any experience of this or the Palm Treo Pro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭stepster

One thing I would look out for in a push mail solution is a phone with a battery capacity large enough to handle a direct connect to your Exchange server all day. I find the battery in my Nokia E66 can run down quickly during peak hours (when my connection is always on). Mail for Exchange lets you configure peak and off-peak hours.

Having said that I love the E66 and once I charge overnight it just about keeps me going till bedtime!

elderlemon wrote: »
    The keyboard isn't that bad. You get used to it very quickly. We standardized on the E71 in our company and its proved a great choice. The only additional software we installed was the roadsync mail client. We did look at the iphone but found it too restrictive and too expensive as a solution.

Don't know anything about the treo pro so can't help you there.

I have had it 3-4 months now and I constantly make mistakes when typing so i a not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ProvTech

Hi, as an IT consultant I've done this hundreds of times. It's relatively easy and i can give you help from here if you want to ask any questions. You do need to check your versions of exchange and windows server to ensure your setup is compatible. I've not a big fan of nokia handsets using mail for exchange. It justs seems like too much of an after thought! I have some customers using the iphone and they rate it highly. i feel its too expensive for a company rolling out mobile devices!

There are two versions of the windows mobile. I've always found the pda version flakey and troublesome as well as battery hungry. New devies are addressing it but they are not quite there. The smartphone version on the other hand is excellent. It des not have a touchscreen and behalves like a normal handset. The best one I've come accross is the HP iPAQ 514. The 514 is not availble from the operators but you can get it online for €100. The battery lasts two days without heavy call use. the palm treo is also good for those that want a keyboard.

There is also a remote wipe feature with exchange, that allows you to send a remote wipe command to a stolen device and factory resets the unit next time its online, thus protecting your data.

The exchange solution when used with Windows Mobile does give push email as well as syncing any folder, your contacts and calender. It does record deleted mails and read ones. Its a great extension of the exchange platform.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I used an iPAQ 514 with Exchange Server 2003 for about a year and I have to say that it was a solid business performer. There are two new versions of the original 514 now - the Voice Messenger and Data Messenger depending if you are leaning towards voice or data. Might be worth a look - normally bought sim free and can be used with any network

Does anyone have any experience of BES on O2?
    How much does it cost?
    I have read some very bad stories of the compatibility of nokia phones, e.g. e71 with mail for exchange and exchange server 2007. Does anyone have any experiences with syncing problems etc?
    Any idea if HTML mail is supported and if not how do I get it?
    Is it true that MFE only syncs the inbox and not other folders?

No experience with BES so can't help you there. MFE works fine with exchange 2003 and 2007. No problems that I know of. MFE does not support HTML but there is a new update coming which may bring in html email. MFE only syncs the inbox.

I use Roadsync in place of mfe and connect to exchange server 2007. Full html, server search, subfolder sync etc and also uses a lot less battery than mfe.

Does anyone have any experience of BES on O2?
    How much does it cost?
    I have read some very bad stories of the compatibility of nokia phones, e.g. e71 with mail for exchange and exchange server 2007. Does anyone have any experiences with syncing problems etc?
    Any idea if HTML mail is supported and if not how do I get it?

Advertisement