Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert irish

Options
  • 07-03-2009 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

can you repeat just one subject i did ordinary level irish for my leaving cert and i need highher level for a course i want to do how do you go about doing this would you just contact a school or is there more to it:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I know a lot of people doing this at the moment. Is it by any chance primary teachingyou want to do?? I'm an Irish teacher so I know of a fair few people doing it in different ways.

First off, where do you live? Some people do it in a place like the Institute of Education, it's a night course. I know of some other people doing it in another night college, can't remember the name right now. Another guy I know who is doing a correspondance course and I absolutely would not recommend that. As he said, it's pretty much like paying 400 euro to get your work corrected, beside giving out a few notes they haven't taught him anything new.

I know all these people from the conversation classes in Conradh na Gaeilge, which are good prep for the oral and you learn some new vocab for the written. The few I've gotten to know well also do grinds.
    A combination of all 3, together with watchig TG4, reading as much as you can will help you along. Thing is to start now for Leaving Cert 2010.

Oh, and the guy doing the correspondance course went to his old secondary and he's sitting the exams there. Said he couldn't get one in Dublin to take him in (as he only wanted to take exams, not sit in class). If you're in Cork you could do it in College of Comm. In Limerick there is also an Institute and Conradh ne Gaeilge. Also, try to go t the Gaeltacht this summer if you can. Plenty of adults I teach went there and they really stand out from the rest of the class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lollypop41

thanks so much yeah its for primary school teaching im livin in waterford prob couldnt go to the gaeltacht during the summer cause i will be working in waterford thats in kilarney isnt it:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The gaeltacht? No, never heard of one in Kilarney. It's further into Kerry, but I'd recommend Conemara or Donegal as you'd hear more Irish around the place, english all over Kerry now. I'm sure there's somewhere in Waterford that would do night classes in Irish. Just make sure it's a night course aimed at the LC and not just improving your Irish in general (would also be helpful but not as the only class).

The LC is only the first hurdle and you probably know. Most primary teaching courses also have an interview as Gaeilge so you'll need to work on your overall fluency.

Just find out where the kids who want to do medicine repeat their leaving in Waterford and follow them!

Also look in to doing something in Rinn, in Waterford, you have your own gaeltacht there. I know you'd be working but everyone gets holidays. Might be a question of how much do you want this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

You could go into your old school, they'd probably sort you out. Get grinds off a teacher and just sit the exams. Don't know what you're really looking to do tbh.

In Waterford? There's Yeats. Or De La Salle.

Advertisement