Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband in Galway (East) .... opinions?

Options
  • 07-03-2009 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Before I sign up to NTL for broadband, I'm hoping to get first hand reports on how it is. They recently upgraded the cable on my road.

I know NTL customer service is a blackhole... but how is it to use?
    Anyone in the East (Renmore) side of the city using it?
    Is it reliable?
    Does it slow at any time of the day?

I'm currently with Digiweb which is pretty good bar the restrictive CAP that they provide. I've basically been watching my usage stats all week and trying to not use the internet - fed up with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Digiweb don't do much to you if you go over though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'm using NTL in the west of the city and have no complaints (well apart from the awful customer service of course). Never have outages and speeds are consistent. (Speeds are dire of course but that's Ireland, not NTL).

Here are the stats in case you are interested
    425116016.png

Some other interesting statistics here: http://www.speedtest.net/global.php?continent=3&country=49&region=681&city=5039

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Renmore here, been with NTL for 2/3 years.

Currently Im very happy with the service, although I did go through hell with them for the first 6 months. The last year has been great, very little downtime, on average id say it goes down maybe for an hour, once a month.
    Connection is very consistent too, however with online games I do get the occasional lag spikes with almost all online games (and its not the computer).
    And I have managed to max-out the 9meg download

425144855.png

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Havok1610

I have the 20Mb connection in Newcastle...Extremely constant and has never slowed...Download a Linux Image (700MB) in 6 minutes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭balu

NTL in Wellpark. Never had any problems.

425196136.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

NTL in Knocknacarra. No problems at all, would definately recommend it. I do get the occasional slow nights - but with 20mb download you dont really notice that when browsing webpages. I havent used the customer service either.

Overall yeah, get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Have NTL 10Mb in Doughiska. Been using it for a year now. Would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Used NTL in the Westside of the city (Taylor's Hill area). Crap. Just pure crap. Constant outages, very slow download speed, and NTL support is abysmal at the best of times. Cannot recommend.

Switched to Eircom cause it was so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KoemansCC

Had the 10 Mb package in the Roscam area for 3 years with no problems, moved to the Westside area and have the same package for the last year and a half still with no problems...you might have a hour of downtime once every 3-4 months.

I have only used the customer service once when I lost connection due to an issue with Zone Alarm, the customer service guy diagnosed it in 15 mins and rang me straight back :eek:...so no concerns there.

Have just bought a house in Roscam and will definitely be getting the TV and 10 Mb broadband package when I move in...in summary go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

when i was staying with a friend of mine in Renmore there were probably at least three laptops on the net at the same time constantly. Absolutely no problems. Which is more than i can say for where i live in town!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement