Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Was in The Cornstore over the weekend. It was lovely, but God they're getting more and more expensive everytime I go in.

Totally agree, the Cornstore is expensive, even the Value menu. The food is usually very good but the menu rarely changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

According to their latest twitter post, canteen are planning to open in the evenings now, with new menus on the way. Will be interesting to see how it goes, I've always like their food

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

That's great news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

According to their latest twitter post, canteen are planning to open in the evenings now, with new menus on the way. Will be interesting to see how it goes, I've always like their food

Undoubtedly my fave spot in Limerick. Would be great to see it opened in the evening time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

They'll need to open every evening or stay closed as imho trying evenings here and there won't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Meant to mention, ate in Bobby Byrne's the week before last and was really bowled over by the quality and quantity of the feed.

There is a new place listed on Just Ate called The Artisan Pizza. I think they only deliver. No reviews on there yet. Has anyone tried it? Could it be the proper pizza place I've been waiting for since Casa Nostra closed down?!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Ate in Absolute hotel restaurant last nite with friend. Did the wine and dine menu. 3coures and bottle wine 50euro for two people. Was really enjoyable. Would recommend

Also tried ramen in ivans last week. Love pad thai and they were doing it as their 6euro before six. Was very nice and good value for six euro but I wouldnt pay 12 euro for it which is the usual price. free cone is very nice also

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

There is a new place listed on Just Ate called The Artisan Pizza. I think they only deliver. No reviews on there yet. Has anyone tried it? Could it be the proper pizza place I've been waiting for since Casa Nostra closed down?!

Had it tonight and thought it was v average. Don't think I'd bother getting it again. There's better pizza out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

keane2097 wrote: »
    Meant to mention, ate in Bobby Byrne's the week before last and was really bowled over by the quality and quantity of the feed.

Had breakfast there on Sunday mmmm..very nice. My new go to for the full Irish

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Went to Katy Dalys for a sunshine drink but ended up having food.Alright but maybe a bit dear for a pub although it’s a tourist spot.Only thing is there haven’t got rid of the former locals some very smart ass barflies and then a few tracksuit crowd with crazy kids in for a match
    Sitting outside is lovely there but a lot of the passing scum ruin the area hopefully in time it will improve as the area is developed

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Took my sister and her two children to Lush in the Grove Island shopping complex (Lush is next to the SuperValu main entrance) for breakfast this morning.

First thing to note is that they offer a comprehensive menu. They have a children's menu too. Plenty of options (and they cater well for vegetarians, gluten free etc.) at reasonable prices.

I had a frittata with trimmings which was good; my sister had the avocado and poached eggs and said they were very good. Both came with lovely brown bread.The children had pancakes and Nutella, and nothing was left on the plates. Children were offered a free glass of milk with their hot breakfasts.

Four hot breakfasts: 2 adults, 2 children, plus drinks all for just under €25, which is good value. Service was prompt, efficient, and none of the children's requests were a problem.

It was a pleasant experience, and I will be back to work my way through their breakfast menu, and to explore the lunch menu too.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Has anyone ventured into Flannagans Townhouse on Thomas street? walked past it yesterday and forgotten it had opened a few weeks back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

damowill wrote: »
    Has anyone ventured into Flannagans Townhouse on Thomas street? walked past it yesterday and forgotten it had opened a few weeks back.

Was gonna this weekend but have spent 10 mins looking for a menu and nothing. Nothing on their social. Their website has menus but I don't know if they're current, or for Limerick?

Kinda put off by that tbh. It's 2018. Mad places really don't get that with new businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Vanquished

They have a menu stand outside the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

They only started food this weekend. Give them a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Back at Hamptons for first time in a while was quite happy with the food. Excellent steak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Was gonna this weekend but have spent 10 mins looking for a menu and nothing. Nothing on their social. Their website has menus but I don't know if they're current, or for Limerick?

Kinda put off by that tbh. It's 2018. Mad places really don't get that with new businesses.

Agree nothing online or on Facebook.Walked past nothing outside or at the doorway.There rival is the Cornstore so even if only opened should be hitting the ground running

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

bigpink wrote: »
    Agree nothing online or on Facebook.Walked past nothing outside or at the doorway.There rival is the Cornstore so even if only opened should be hitting the ground running

called in over the weekend for lunch. had the steaksandwich which was good. menu was pretty extensive. it's up on their Facebook page if you are looking..

they have done a great job with the renovations. bar/restaurant on the ground floor, fine dining upstairs which is open in the evening and then they are doing a cellar bar downstairs which isn't complete just yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

Tried Boojum last weekend...very dissappointed with it. I'd cook far better Mexican at home myself, also the food was on the cold side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

PIORUN wrote: »
    Tried Boojum last weekend...very dissappointed with it. I'd cook far better Mexican at home myself, also the food was on the cold side.

My burrito was cold the last couple of times i ate there as well. I do like the food tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

To be fair, I think the meat and veg is hot when it goes in the burrito but when the salsa, sour cream, cheese, guacamole etc is added and everything is mixed together, I think that's when it seems a bit 'cold'.
    That's been my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

To be fair, I think the meat and veg is hot when it goes in the burrito but when the salsa, sour cream, cheese, guacamole etc is added and everything is mixed together, I think that's when it seems a bit 'cold'.

Same here - got burritos a few times recently and they were cold so I now only get them (in a bowl) when I'm on my way home where I can pop them in the microwave.

I do like their food though. I agree it's hard to having it piping hot after the ingredients are added and wrapped. Will continue to buy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

PIORUN wrote: »
    If this is true I want to go to your house and eat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

They are always out of at least once ingredient (guacamole, certain sauces) when I order. How do they run out of guacamole when there's a tesco across the road selling avocados?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

They are always out of at least once ingredient (guacamole, certain sauces) when I order. How do they run out of guacamole when there's a tesco across the road selling avocados?

Got fed up after they kept running out of tortillas and guac anytime I was in there. Now I just cook my own, or get burritos when I'm in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tico1300

Had a lovely lunch in taikichi today, the green tea ice cream is great

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Went to Fordes in Ballycummin twice recently. The large and two batter sausages arent great value for money. The large they gave me is smaller than a regular chip from Tony's and the batter sausages are tiny. They dont do curry sauce either.
    Last night went up and they had ran out of fresh cod. and their staff looked like they didnt give a crap, letting people jump the queue (must have been friends or something)

Ended up leaving and going to Tony's - staff were much more friendlier and threw in a free tartar sauce with the fresh cod.

The cold burrito is only something i've noticed in Limerick. Doesn't seem to be the case in the Dublin or Galway chains. I don't know if they are getting their ratios between hot & cold items wrong but they are definitley wrapping them arseways

• Advertisement

Umekichi wrote: »
    Got fed up after they kept running out of tortillas and guac anytime I was in there. Now I just cook my own, or get burritos when I'm in Dublin.

Next time you are in Dublin try El Grito in Merchant's Arch (between Ha'penny Bridge & Temple Bar). A proper Mexican taqueria where all the latino ex-pats eat. The torta al pastor is unreal.

Advertisement