Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Went to "The Milk Thistle Kitchen" in Mungret park a few times over the last few weeks, never seen it mentioned here.

Really nice place, fresh produce and nice staff.

There website is very lacking with no menu but there facebook page seems to be more active.

http://www.themilkthistlekitchen.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah lovely food and very nice coffee there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

davo2001 wrote: »
    Went to "The Milk Thistle Kitchen" in Mungret park a few times over the last few weeks, never seen it mentioned here.

There website is very lacking with no menu but there facebook page seems to be more active.

thanks. never even heard of this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Never heard of this either, but looks good and I will be giving it a go, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

Having struggled to find a good quality Indian since I moved back to Limerick, I was pleasantly surprised by the one stuck at the back in the deli of the Mace in Caherdavin (Indian Cuisine on Justeat). Best I’ve had since I’ve been back. Admittedly, there was a bit too much oil but other than that the meat and flavour were spot on. Tasted very fresh.

Have tried Mogul, Achari, Poppadom which were all hit and miss and the number 1 Indian on TripAdvisor, Bambu, which was the worst Indian I’ve ever eaten.

I’d be open to suggestions about others. Haven’t tried Spice of India because I’ve heard bad things and The Curry House in the South Court seems extortionate but I’d be happy to pay it if it was good quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

dave_t wrote: »
    Having struggled to find a good quality Indian since I moved back to Limerick, I was pleasantly surprised by the one stuck at the back in the deli of the Mace in Caherdavin (Indian Cuisine on Justeat). Best I’ve had since I’ve been back. Admittedly, there was a bit too much oil but other than that the meat and flavour were spot on. Tasted very fresh.

Have tried Mogul, Achari, Poppadom which were all hit and miss and the number 1 Indian on TripAdvisor, Bambu, which was the worst Indian I’ve ever eaten.

I’d be open to suggestions about others. Haven’t tried Spice of India because I’ve heard bad things and The Curry House in the South Court seems extortionate but I’d be happy to pay it if it was good quality.

It’s a bit out of town but Copper & Spice in Annacotty is good.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

dave_t wrote: »

Spice of India is the best Indian in the city centre. The Mogul & Poppadom are good imo but not as nice SoI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Copper and Spice is by far the nicest and most expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

Copper and Spice is by far the nicest and most expensive

Will they make a dish on request? I see they don’t have a lot of the usual curries available elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Best thing to do is either give them a ring or failing that a message on there facebook page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Went into a new cafe-coffee shop near the NCT centre in Eastway today.Everything brand new (only opened today i was told).Real coffee,granola etc and everything fresh and made on the premises.

Nice decor, staff and food excellent and well worth a visit.It is called the WORKSHOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Anyone try here yet?

Alex Findlater & Co. Food and Wine hall

kfrp wrote: »
    Anyone try here yet?

went in one saturday at 2pm ... a few in there but not too busy.

one girl behind the counter serving/making sandwiches etc... waited 5-10mins to get served (girl still making sandwiches for people in front of us). left after that

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

kfrp wrote: »
    Anyone try here yet?

Myself and two friends had lunch in their seafood bar recently, which adjoins their food hall. We were all impressed and I look forward to going back. Our server told us that their “supper club” is due to open downstairs shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

Flicking through the thread earlier and saw a recommendation for 'Spice of India', got a mixed Phaal and mixed starters, they threw in some poppadoms. 10/10 would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Paudee wrote: »
    Flicking through the thread earlier and saw a recommendation for 'Spice of India', got a mixed Phaal and mixed starters, they threw in some poppadoms. 10/10 would recommend.
    Yes, I went there a few months ago, very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

According to their latest twitter post, canteen are planning to open in the evenings now, with new menus on the way. Will be interesting to see how it goes, I've always like their food

Looks like it failed - unfortunately

DgFFExjWsAAx-jY.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

"There is no road map in business. We are making it up as we go along"

I think that might be the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think that might be the issue.

Yeah that's a pretty foolish statement overall.

'We could do X Y and Z but it would cost money and we wouldn't have a clue whether it would work. There's no such thing as a road map in business.'

Market research and a business plan would be fairly well known concepts by junior cert students.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

That's such a shame. It really was a lovely place to go. I get the sense that very few people knew about it. But there's no denying that the city centre empties out after 5pm and summer time in Limerick is always quiet too.

• Advertisement

they didnt persist for long with it but i guess numbers werent great. Limerick has a lot of food/drink options in the evening time so its competitive. That said you still have loads of people who just wanna go somewhere like 'Javas', a coffee & treat type thing. perhaps this is what they should have aimed ..

Yeah, I'd have thought there was a way of cutting overheads for the evening operation drastically to account for lower footfall. But maybe they felt they couldn't operate without at least a few kitchen staff on duty. If only a handful of people are coming through the door, then it's very hard to pay their wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

The city population will always be an issue here in Limerick. The city centre seems dead when compared to other cities & towns around the country

Tim76 wrote: »
    The city population will always be an issue here in Limerick. The city centre seems dead when compared to other cities & towns around the country

I don't disagree with you. But it's actually improved a huge amount in the last two years. I'm living in it myself and there's a marked difference. The rents in the centre are climbing faster than any other part of Ireland at the moment so that's evidence for big changes afoot. Hope it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭zimmermania

It is always a difficult decision but the owners know best and if it is not profitable then they could not stay open for long.

Footfall is everything and now that cafe-coffee shops have sprung up where lots of people work. Eastway,for example where the Workshop cafe has opened may mean that people who work or have reason to be in the area will have lunch out of town and possibly collect something to take home for an evening meal if they like whats on offer.

I had lunch in the Workshop a couple of days ago and the brown bread was so nice i took home a loaf,i was told when paying the bill that the bread,scones, soups, cakes are all made fresh on the premises as is everything else they serve.

I will certainly call again as it is convenient for parking and the food is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

i saw pics of the workshop and it looks impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

what kind of food does the new Esquire Coffee place do?
    Is it fresh or the pre-packed rubbish you get in Costa etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Treepole wrote: »
    what kind of food does the new Esquire Coffee place do?
    Is it fresh or the pre-packed rubbish you get in Costa etc?
    It's freshly made. I was in there a few days ago and had a chicken something in a bap and it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Tried canteen today after threatening to try it for ages. A chicken aioli wrap and a chicken box thing. Totally bland and tasteless by both dishes. Disappointing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

I have family visiting tomorrow and want to bring them somewhere different if I can.
    Any recommendations on where to go on a Sunday for lunch please ? Even if its a short drive from the city.
    Thanks

Advertisement