Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I've been to it and I like it. It's a lovely building, sitting outside is an option, and the menu is decent.

Went to the Green Onion on Rutland Street today. Very impressed. The food was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

zulutango wrote: »
    I've been to it and I like it. It's a lovely building, sitting outside is an option, and the menu is decent.

Went to the Green Onion on Rutland Street today. Very impressed. The food was great.
    Ya, I agree. Although I haven't been inside, they have done a very tasteful job on the exterior. Must call-in some day next week.

Green Onion is a great addition. All things considered, there are some really good places to eat in Limerick these days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Green Onion is a great addition. All things considered, there are some really good places to eat in Limerick these days

It's a great improvement on a few years ago for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

edit :also will have a 17 month baby with us

anyone recommend a nice place for lunch in town? a place with a good deal or specials? thanks

Flanagan's Town House have a nice lunch menu, limited but nice all the same. They also do daily special that aren't on the menu. Check out the Facebook. Worth a visit.

Anyone been to Flanagans on Thomas St. yet? Anytime I've passed it, it seems to be very quiet....maybe I'm just going by at unusual times. Their place out in Killaloe is fairly decent

Anyone been to Flanagans on Thomas St. yet? Anytime I've passed it, it seems to be very quiet....maybe I'm just going by at unusual times. Their place out in Killaloe is fairly decent

Ive been. The tandoori chicken is delicious. As is the steak sambo special!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Just in from Turkuaz can happily report new interior same staff and imo best kebab in the city.

sioda wrote:
    Just in from Turkuaz can happily report new interior same staff and imo best kebab in the city.

I second this! You won't beat it in Limerick.

The new Chinese take away - Blossom, on Athlunkard St is very good. I had smoked chicken and crispy chilli with rice, both were lovely, fresh and flavoursome, without being overly greasy! I plan on trying it again and would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Hey all, we have friends coming to visit the weekend of the 11th we are looking at options for a group of 8 ( mid 30 year olds) to go for a bite to eat and drinks afterwards, was thinking something along the lines of the set menu in the Hamptons, as the starters aren't huge, mains seemed decent (the last time I was there) and didn't break the bank, I'm open to suggestions but ideally want to book somewhere in the next day or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

For groups I would recommend marco polo coqbull and restaurant in absolute. Also the highway and off the bone but they not in city. All those places do set menu, all similar in price and you can have drinks b4 during and after meal. Curragower mite be nice too if a little pricey. Also the locke (Azur next door)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

yogalady wrote: »
    For groups I would recommend marco polo coqbull and restaurant in absolute. Also the highway and off the bone but they not in city. All those places do set menu, all similar in price and you can have drinks b4 during and after meal. Curragower mite be nice too if a little pricey. Also the locke (Azur next door)

It would have to be city centre, curragower is one that I'm considering at the moment, haven't been to Marco Polo or coqbuol in a while so another 2 to consider. Looked at the Locke very similar menu to the curragower.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Njoy wherever ye got. Sounds like lovely nite. Have also heard new flanagan's townhouse is very nice. Have a set menu for 25euro I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I have had several nights like this in La Picolla. Always commented on how nice it was by guests.

glic83 wrote:
    Hey all, we have friends coming to visit the weekend of the 11th we are looking at options for a group of 8 ( mid 30 year olds) to go for a bite to eat and drinks afterwards, was thinking something along the lines of the set menu in the Hamptons, as the starters aren't huge, mains seemed decent (the last time I was there) and didn't break the bank, I'm open to suggestions but ideally want to book somewhere in the next day or 2.

Texas Steak out, Marco Polo, Tuscany at the Granary and The Flanagans Townhouse are all fab places for dinner and good. All have good options.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

glic83 wrote: »

The Curraghgower, Azur, Tuscany @ the Granary and Bobby Byrnes would be my choices. The French Table is amazing but a little more expensive.

Some good suggestions from people here, although stay away from Marco Polo unless its the chandeliers and not the food quality you are after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

The food in Marco Polo is average enough & I don't think I've ever got a decent steak in the Steakout, found the food in House pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Marco Polo is a kip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

I think Texas Steakout must be a Limerick thing - as an outsider I never understood the appeal. The food is bland and doesn't taste freshly prepared, even though it's a fairly high price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

I think Texas Steakout must be a Limerick thing - as an outsider I never understood the appeal. The food is bland and doesn't taste freshly prepared, even though it's a fairly high price.

It is freshly prepared......... in the microwave.

Never understood the appeal myself, if you don't care about how your food tastes then by all means go for it.

There are maybe 3 restaurants I would consider good in Limerick.

1. Adare 1826
    2. The Mustard Seed.

Two it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Texas is popular because it's central, cheap and cheerful. That's it. The food is almost an afterthought

• Advertisement

Texas is popular because it's central, cheap and cheerful. That's it. The food is almost an afterthought

I don't think it is particularly cheap. I went once and wouldn't bother again. I don't mind paying for decent food but it galled me to pay what theu charged versus the quality.

davo2001 wrote:
    There are maybe 3 restaurants I would consider good in Limerick.

davo2001 wrote:
    1. Adare 1826 2. The Mustard Seed. 3.........

Jesus that's a bit harsh. Surely The French Table is worthy of that 3rd spot?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Jesus that's a bit harsh. Surely The French Table is worthy of that 3rd spot?!

Not to mention Freddy's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I don't think it is particularly cheap. I went once and wouldn't bother again. I don't mind paying for decent food but it galled me to pay what theu charged versus the quality.

Agreed. It's not the slightest bit cheap for the very basic food that you actually get.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Could never understand the appeal myself, I'd rather go across the road to Chicken Hut!

Maybe it was mentioned here before, I'm not sure, but is Finnegans under new ownership? Was there for lunch today, and it seemed like a big improvement on my last visit. The place has been renovated too..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Maybe it was mentioned here before, I'm not sure, but is Finnegans under new ownership? Was there for lunch today, and it seemed like a big improvement on my last visit. The place has been renovated too..
    Think the Curragower own the place now so prob gone more expensive aswell

bigpink wrote: »
    Think the Curragower own the place now so prob gone more expensive aswell
    Menu seemed similar to theirs actually, so maybe you're right. €11 for a burger and chip...probably the going rate these days

They have done a great job on The Westward Ho.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

They have done a great job on The Westward Ho.

Agree but expensive for pub grub

Advertisement