Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I must say in fairness to the Curragower the quality of the food is a chunky enough cut above pub grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

keane2097 wrote: »
    I must say in fairness to the Curragower the quality of the food is a chunky enough cut above pub grub.

This. I haven't been to Bobby Byrnes in an age but they are similar prices if memory serves right.

This. I haven't been to Bobby Byrnes in an age but they are similar prices if memory serves right.

I've only eaten there once but it was really good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

They have done a great job on The Westward Ho.

I've been disappointed with both trips to the Westward Ho the most recent being just the other day.
    The first time the cottage pie which was made with chunks of beef completely undercooked, absolutely inedible, it was replaced by something very meh which I don't recall,
    The other day we were served lukewarm bang average soup and a very overcooked hamburger, I don't think I'll ever go back which is a shame because it's in a handy location for us.

I've been disappointed with both trips to the Westward Ho the most recent being just the other day.
    The first time the cottage pie which was made with chunks of beef completely undercooked, absolutely inedible, it was replaced by something very meh which I don't recall,
    The other day we were served lukewarm bang average soup and a very overcooked hamburger, I don't think I'll ever go back which is a shame because it's in a handy location for us.

I have only eaten there 2/3 times and always have mussels. Once they were cold but other than that perfect. Herself had a burger each time and it was always very good. Places like that need to remain top of their game as they rely on people making an effort to go rather than footfall. I know it is on a main route but how often do people passing actually stop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I tried The Underdog for the first time yesterday. I was expecting lots of comfy chairs and zen like atmosphere to fit in with its ethos but it's decor is very industrial. Food was okay, not as nice as The Old Fire Station but would definitely go back again and try something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

tototoe wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the volcano place for wings yet?

went in the other day and the wings were no better than regular oven wings you get down the supermarket same for the chips and as for the menu? talk about basic, disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

frosty123 wrote: »
    went in the other day and the wings were no better than regular oven wings you get down the supermarket same for the chips and as for the menu? talk about basic, disappointing

Hard to beat the Cornstore’s wings. Curragower is a close second with The Locke trailing in third.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Hard to beat the Cornstore’s wings. Curragower is a close second with The Locke trailing in third.

Had the wings in nelligans in kilmurry lodge last friday night. Very nice. Meaty wings. Lovely hot sauce. Not too hot but plenty kick.
    Infact the whole experience there was very good I must say. Mains were very good also. I want expecting much but have to say it was very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Cornstore wings are the business alright :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

The Woodfield needs to be in the top 3. I only had the wings there once so I don't know if they're consistent but the ones I had were up there with the cornstore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i haven't been there for a while...have the toilets improved?? the mens was right manky the last time i was there

fryup wrote: »
    i haven't been there for a while...have the toilets improved?? the mens was right manky the last time i was there

I still wouldn't eat in them but they're grand.

ha ha! seriously the toilets were in a bad state, hope they rectified the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

ha ha! seriously the toilets were in a bad state, hope they rectified the matter

i'd say you haven't been in the place in 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Toilets have been fine anytime I've been there...
    Curragower is probably the best pub-grub offering in Limerick imo. Bit on the expensive side, but the food is really good. Nice setting too - if the weather is decent, you can sit out and admire the views of the river, curragower falls, King Johns, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Was back in Eastway again recently and called in to the Workshop cafe and it was buzzing.

Very nice food and nice decor,spotlessly clean.I had the soup and brown bread and it was excellent.I intend to have one of the very interesting looking lunches on the menu the next time i am in the area and will post on my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Best spice bag in Limerick anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There's a pretty good spice box from Lily House in Raheen - they two sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Tim76 wrote: »
    Best spice bag in Limerick anyone?
    You could try the place upstairs in Arthur's Quay or in GreenPark?

• Advertisement

You could try the place upstairs in Arthur's Quay or in GreenPark?

The one in Greenpark is my go to the evening after a night on the sauce. Spicy box with curry on the side and a coke.

Grabbed a takeway coffee from esquire, the regular is a large and very nice coffee too. Compared with the one from Rift which is tiny and more expensive. The food menu looked good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Grabbed a takeway coffee from esquire, the regular is a large and very nice coffee too. Compared with the one from Rift which is tiny and more expensive. The food menu looked good too.

Must give it a go

Forgot to post but I was in Coqbull a few weeks ago and was really impressed. Didn't realise the size of the place. The staff were very good the night I was in, the menu is right up my street, the quality was just fine and the portions are very well sized.

Prices are probably a little higher than they ought to be ok.

Forgot to post but I was in Coqbull a few weeks ago and was really impressed. Didn't realise the size of the place. The staff were very good the night I was in, the menu is right up my street, the quality was just fine and the portions are very well sized.

Prices are probably a little higher than they ought to be ok.

I find the set menus are great value and tend to have most things on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Yeah but huge difference in the types of coffee both use. I drink in both but rift coffee can be amazing.

Scones in esquires unreal though.

About coffee anyone try the old barracks out in birdhill. Adults only coffee house stunning views out the back towarda the Shannon not cheap but worth a go IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Love the coffee in the Underdog and The Bedford

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Love the coffee in the Underdog and The Bedford
    Bedford using coffee from ponaire in Newport its lovely stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Went to the new cafe 'Bia' at the Milk Market. Had the boxty with bacon and eggs. Boxty are potato pancakes. I was very impressed. it's owned by the same people that run The French Table so standards are high. the coffee was very good too. Hopefully they do well. they are opened 8am to 8pm.

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^

very friendly people, which is equally important to me

Advertisement