Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Best carvery in town? Last two weeks I had Russels and Finnegans. Both lovely, Russels slightly better.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

I was in Cornstore at the weekend. Tasty but pricey. Myself and the missus had the chateaubriand between us and two glasses of the house red, nearly 80 euro. Top quality food though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Tim76 wrote: »
    I was in Cornstore at the weekend. Tasty but pricey. Myself and the missus had the chateaubriand between us and two glasses of the house red, nearly 80 euro. Top quality food though.

My Mrs won't touch rare or medium rare meat...
    I miss chateaubriand :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Best carvery in town? Last two weeks I had Russels and Finnegans. Both lovely, Russels slightly better.
    Do Finnegans still do carvery? They've recently been taken over by The Curragower, so not sure the menu is the same as before? Russels is decent alright, more quantity over quality in my experience, but I suppose that is the essence of carvery. I've heard that The Hi Way does a decent carvery, as does Bobby Byrnes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Went to the Underdog just for coffee very nice and a baked treat but the interior is awful not comfortable or cosy at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Kilmurry Lodge rarely disappoints!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

bigpink wrote: »
    Went to the Underdog just for coffee very nice and a baked treat but the interior is awful not comfortable or cosy at all

Yeah it really isn't nice. Not sure what they were thinking.

Coffee and food is nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

neither is the interior in rift or canteen anyway comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Passed El Toro in the bus, it's called something like Teppenyaki now? I can't see anything up online (probably got the name wrong ... Hopefully I didn't totally dream it up).
    If it's real, was anyone in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Passed El Toro in the bus, it's called something like Teppenyaki now? I can't see anything up online (probably got the name wrong ... Hopefully I didn't totally dream it up).

Saw some posts on FB about it from a couple of people. Apparently it's a Japanese and it has being getting decent enough reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

El Toro is gone???

Its sort of a Teriyaki place. I'll miss the sweet potato fries from El Toro!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Coill1

+ 1 for Russell’s carvery - great value.
    Ate in Papaz bistro at lunchtime yesterday (denmark st.) & had what was essentially a posh sandwich.
    Presentation & taste were top class, and we’re planning on returning for more very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Coill1 wrote: »
    + 1 for Russell’s carvery - great value.
    Ate in Papaz bistro at lunchtime yesterday (denmark st.) & had what was essentially a posh sandwich.
    Presentation & taste were top class, and we’re planning on returning for more very soon

Papaz is very good actually. But i always forget about it for some reason... ill have to venture in on saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

must say i'm really liking the Esquires place on catherine st, lovely food and coffee...and a great spot to sit outside and people gaze

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

Mc Love wrote:
    Its sort of a Teriyaki place. I'll miss the sweet potato fries from El Toro!

What's this new place called?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Milanos in the city is meant to be good for takeaways. Think they are to open in the cresent shopping centre as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Passed it today, all closed up with a "Closed for a Renovation" sign up, no sign of a new name over the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

source wrote: »
    Passed it today, all closed up with a "Closed for a Renovation" sign up, no sign of a new name over the door.

I swear I have passed several times in the last week and it was called simply "TeppanYaki"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Slightly off topic but may be of interest. Heard Chawkes on the Dublin road is gone, gone gone. Someone bought the land. That place is an absolute gold mine. You’d wonder what’s going on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

source wrote:

Ya, before they closed, they announced renovations on fb but now their page seems to have vanished.

Slightly off topic but may be of interest. Heard Chawkes on the Dublin road is gone, gone gone. Someone bought the land. That place is an absolute gold mine. You’d wonder what’s going on there.

The petrol station? Didnt they just do it all up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Any recommendations for a good restaurant to go with young kids in Limerick city? We usually go to Milano's but looking for something different for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

panda100 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a good restaurant to go with young kids in Limerick city? We usually go to Milano's but looking for something different for a change.

Coqbull is good for kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Coqbull is good for kids.

Oh cool thanks. Coqbull it is so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

source wrote: »

I swear I have passed several times in the last week and it was called simply "TeppanYaki"

Would be great if it was a real TeppanYaki place. Good fun and usually good food. Bit of theatre. Been to a few in London and one in Dublin.

https://youtu.be/5P6DFVJfYjY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Sign was definitely up for 'TeppanYaki'
    saw it myself a few weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Name has been changed from teppanyaki to Asian wok now. I don't even know what's going on there anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Umekichi wrote: »
    Name has been changed from teppanyaki to Asian wok now. I don't even know what's going on there anymore

Asian places on that stretch don't seem to last long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

I ate at The Old Firestation today with my sister and three young kids, based on the many positive reviews on this thread.

I had a hard time deciding what to eat as the menu looked so tempting.

The food was delicious and good value for money. I was impressed by their efforts to use and source as many ingredients locally.

They went out of their way to accommodate the kids. They came out of the kitchen to ask if the kids enjoyed their food and wanted any more.

I will definitely be back as I want to try the many other dishes on their menu. I highly recommend.

Advertisement