Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Would 2nd the Woodfield. Very nice food and reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Had lunch in the Workshop in Eastway on friday and it was really good,homemade soup and homemade curry,cooked fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Any suggestions on where to go for a nice early bird in the City tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Jane98 wrote: »
    Any suggestions on where to go for a nice early bird in the City tomorrow night?

Freddie's Bistro? They are open from half 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

What food do you like
    I would recommend spice of india, poppudum, bambu, Zo Zabb, jasmine buffet,azur, absolute, empty glass, flanaghans townhouse, la piccolla. all do deals during the week. njoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

La Piccola Pizzeria is lovely for an early bird

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

Jane98 wrote:

I know a lot of people slate it but, I think Marco Polo is good for an early bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

shanmo wrote: »
    I know a lot of people slate it but, I think Marco Polo is good for an early bird.
    We get it...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Speedo Pizza on Edward Street which I praised in the past has been closed by the Food Safety Authority but has since re-opened.

Sorry about that lads, best to stay away anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Speedo Pizza on Edward Street which I praised in the past has been closed by the Food Safety Authority but has since re-opened.

Sorry about that lads, best to stay away anyway.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/347536/prayer-mats-were-stored-on-shelves-at-limerick-takeawaythat-was-ordered-to-close.html#.W-vJWg9us2M.facebook

Absolutely brutal report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Had lunch at the Green Onion on Rutland street across from the Hunt Museum last week. Was really good and highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

damowill wrote: »
    Had lunch at the Green Onion on Rutland street across from the Hunt Museum last week. Was really good and highly recommend.
    I've been singing their praises ever since I first went in during the summer. Excellent food (a lot of it locally-sourced), great variety to the menu, sound staff, nice decor, and decent location...what more could you ask for! Probably my favourite cafe in town now.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

I've been singing their praises ever since I first went in during the summer. Excellent food (a lot of it locally-sourced), great variety to the menu, sound staff, nice decor, and decent location...what more could you ask for! Probably my favourite cafe in town now.

Shhhhh....
    Dont be telling people. It is getting busy there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Yes, I'm a fan of that place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I admit defeat. After countless posts defending the place, Hook and Ladder let me down. Piss poor service and I mean PISS POOR. Asked did we want to order seconds after getting the menu when we weren't ready and when we were ready we waited ages. Fast forward to things being forgotten and what was brought was pretty stingey portion wise. As we left the extra stuff was being brought to us and the waitress had the lack of sense to ask "why didn't we want it?" The manager witnessed it all, told the waitress to remove what wasn't recieved and walked off. No apology, no offer of a free coffee even. I made my feelings clear that the service was terrible and the food wasn't up to scratch and we had the drinks removed from out bill. One paltry fizzy drinks worth.

Won't be back for a while. We have a weekly ritual of going to town of a Friday afternoon for coffee or a drink and normally a bite to eat, they won't be getting our euros for a while, there are plenty places around town which are more deserving of our business.

We went to Esquire Coffee last Friday as it happens. Beautiful food and two very tasty and generously sized coffees to takeway. If you haven't been yet, give them a try.

I noticed that Bambu have moved across to where Spice of India were.

Does anyone know if Spice of India moved somewhere or did they close?

One of the best for indian in town, surely they didn't close...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Shout out to Nelly's Corner on Nicholas Street. I was skeptical at the idea of a pub being turned into a café, but this one really works. There's lots of old charm to the place but food and service is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Had hook and ladder myself this morning. It was only ok. It wouldn’t have killed them to actually cook the black pudding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Had hook and ladder myself this morning. It was only ok. It wouldn’t have killed them to actually cook the black pudding.

Had that problem twice there shocking really to throw that out to cutomers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

kilburn wrote: »
    Had that problem twice there shocking really to throw that out to cutomers

I’ve figured hook and ladder out. When it’s busy it’s gonna be absolutely horrendous. All other times it’s great. We keep making the mistake of going Sunday mornings, the queue does be out the door.

• Advertisement

I noticed that Bambu have moved across to where Spice of India were.

Does anyone know if Spice of India moved somewhere or did they close?

One of the best for indian in town, surely they didn't close...

I was in town for the switching on of the lights tonight. Hard to know but there is still a spice of India sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jeremiah Jobling

Was in Hook n ladder in corbally two weeks ago, wife and I both ordered chowder. It took nearly 30 mns to come out ( it was not busy at the time ) and I'm sure they had just added some fish into the veg soup that was the soup of the day. Said it to waiter but she claimed that's the way they make chowder. Nothing like the chowder in their castletroy shop. Won't be back anytime soon.

Was in Hook n ladder in corbally two weeks ago, wife and I both ordered chowder. It took nearly 30 mns to come out ( it was not busy at the time ) and I'm sure they had just added some fish into the veg soup that was the soup of the day. Said it to waiter but she claimed that's the way they make chowder. Nothing like the chowder in their castletroy shop. Won't be back anytime soon.

I had that happen except it was leek and potato. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

zulutango wrote: »
    Shout out to Nelly's Corner on Nicholas Street. I was skeptical at the idea of a pub being turned into a café, but this one really works. There's lots of old charm to the place but food and service is great too.

Its bang average with a very limited menu, yet somehow is number 1 on Trip Advisor :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Treepole wrote: »
    Its bang average with a very limited menu, yet somehow is number 1 on Trip Advisor :rolleyes:

Very surprised with that. I like it, mainly for its atmosphere, but it's nowhere near the top for food. Service is very good to be fair.

It's madness that the top three on Trip Advisor are Bobby's (very mediocre), Nelly's Corner and the ****ing Glen Tavern! Sweet Jesus.

Treepole wrote: »

You gotta take TripAdvisor with a pinch of salt. Their current Top 10 restaurants in Limerick are:

1. The East Room
    2. Nellys Corner
    3. Coqbull
    4. Katie Dalys
    5. Freddies
    6. Papaz
    7. Cornstore
    8. The french table
    9. Dolans
    10. The glen tavern

Some are deserving of being in the top 10 however its fairly contentious to say the least!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I haven't found anywhere above average in two years in Limerick tbh so no surprise the top ten contains mediocre eateries. There is pub grub that is excellent but no restaurants that get beyond 'grand'.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I haven't found anywhere above average in two years in Limerick tbh so no surprise the top ten contains mediocre eateries. There is pub grub that is excellent but no restaurants that get beyond 'grand'.

Would agree to an extent. We lack top notch restaurants imo. We have a lot of nice places to eat but nothing extraordinary.

Sash, The French Table, Freddies, Azur & Cornstore should be high up the list. The East room gets very good reviews but after that im struggling. The Curraghgower & Bobby Byrnes are pretty good & hard to fault at what they do. Tapas at the Buttery are excellent & their brunch menu is good too. Canteen is another that should be on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

canteen?? but their food offering is paltry

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

canteen?? but their food offering is paltry

The biggest let down of a lunch I've ever had.

What's the East Room like? I didn't even know it existed until yesterday..

Advertisement