Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Yep, the Mogul is top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

In the City Centre you have three good options: The Mogul is very good. Spice of India is also very good. Popadoms also get my thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Went to Dolans as planned last night,two of us had the hake and chips with mushy peas,they were really good,two had the monkfish with scallops.The scallops were burned and when this was pointed out to the waitress she replaced them with perfectly cooked scallops and provided a larger portion.

One had mussels and the younger pair in the group had the burger which was good,i had a bruschetta starter which was good,two had spicey prawns,one had soup.

Good quantities so desserts not required,nice food and the music not bad either( VILLAGERS)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

damowill wrote: »
    Popadoms also get my thumbs up.

I used to go there, but haven't gone since they were involved in a serious case in their outlet in Dublin.

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/06/25/seven-years-a-slave/

zulutango wrote: »
    I used to go there, but haven't gone since they were involved in a serious case in their outlet in Dublin.

wow thats shocking! the place in clondalkin is a sister restaurant i gather. thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Jesus. People need to know this story.
    Shocking.
    How, in the ****, could a judge over turn that....
    Thank God there was justice in the end.
    Thanks for sharing..

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

I'm the same, I've never gone in there since this was brought to light. How could you give them your business after this? The Mogul all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

We got some extra disgusting takeaway from there recently. It was literally inedible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

My wife and I had a meal in The French Table last night. I had never been but heard great reviews so I was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately, it didn't wow me!
    While the food was nice the service was very good, it was no better than most other restaurants in Limerick. Maybe it was the time of year so we might give it another try after the Christmas rush!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Skuxx wrote: »
    My wife and I had a meal in The French Table last night. I had never been but heard great reviews so I was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately, it didn't wow me!
    While the food was nice the service was very good, it was no better than most other restaurants in Limerick. Maybe it was the time of year so we might give it another try after the Christmas rush!

The French Table isn't the kind of place that will wow you but it'll never let you down in my experience, simple food brilliantly executed and excellent service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Massive thumbs up for Papa'z bistro today, food fantastic along with great service. A hungover Ms Moneypenny was delighted with it as was I.

Thumbs down for wok to go in Greenpark though. Decided to get a takeaway as it was just me for dinner and I wasn't arsed cooking. I ordered online, a 3in1 and salt and pepper chicken. Asked for the sauce to be on the side. Arrived in and they wanted to charge for a full portion of sauce even though the sauce would have be included in the 3in1anyway. Really pissed me off as they refused to acknowledge that charging extra for sauce already included in a dish was not fair. Even if it was 50c to cover the container I wouldn't mind but to charge for a full portion is taking the proverbial.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

So glad i tried the Mogul! Had a lovely meal and everyone in the family did too! Will definitely be going back. It was to me anyway surprisingly busy in the restaurant too for a Sunday evening

Mc Love wrote: »
    So glad i tried the Mogul! Had a lovely meal and everyone in the family did too! Will definitely be going back. It was to me anyway surprisingly busy in the restaurant too for a Sunday evening

Not surprising it was busy, it is very popular with the West Limerick nomads. Food is very good though, butter chicken, pilau rice and a naan is hard bet.

Lunch in The Grove yesterday. It was exceptional as always. The food is really tasty and also really healthy, massive portion for 10 quid. Highly recommend.

Followed up yesterday evening with food in Copper and Spice in Annacotty. Best Indian in Limerick these days. They deliver to town also.

Another honourable mention is Sodalicious off Henry Street. That's our go-to place for weekend lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Followed up yesterday evening with food in Copper and Spice in Annacotty. Best Indian in Limerick these days.

Oooh controversial :D

Lunch in The Grove yesterday. It was exceptional as always. The food is really tasty and also really healthy, massive portion for 10 quid. Highly recommend.

Followed up yesterday evening with food in Copper and Spice in Annacotty. Best Indian in Limerick these days. They deliver to town also.

Another honourable mention is Sodalicious off Henry Street. That's our go-to place for weekend lunch.

Sodalicious, keep meaning to go in for a look. What kind of stuff do they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Went for brunch in House at the weekend. I had the Whole Hog (Irish brekkie) and the missus went for the Eggs Royale.

The Royale was fine but the Hog was less than impressive. No beans and the bacon and sausages were undercooked. The sausages were actually verging on the raw side and looked like something they’d be eating as a challenge on I’m a Celeb. Won’t be back in a hurry.

Sodalicious, keep meaning to go in for a look. What kind of stuff do they do?

Well, as the name suggests, everything comes with soda bread which is made in house each morning. Lovely salads, sandwiches, eggs Florentine, bacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Tim76 wrote: »
    Went for brunch in House at the weekend. I had the Whole Hog (Irish brekkie) and the missus went for the Eggs Royale.

The Royale was fine but the Hog was less than impressive. No beans and the bacon and sausages were undercooked. The sausages were actually verging on the raw side and looked like something they’d be eating as a challenge on I’m a Celeb. Won’t be back in a hurry.

That's a shame, it has been good any time I have been in there for brunch. The ham hock hash is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,642 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Same - I'm a big fan of the food in house. Have had a good few lunches there and dinner once I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I was in Flanagans on Thomas street a few weeks ago and it was very nice and kind of like Freddies. Might be worth chancing.

Been here twice, the food was very good on both occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Was in the Kilmurry Hotel over the holidays,nice prawns to start but battered fish for mains was fairly burned and crusty,chips were good.

The place was busy so not the best time to judge any restaurant but definitely too burned,did not complain due to the time of year and managed to eat it without any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Was in Foleys bar/bistro over Christmas, it's just off the main road from Newcastle West and Rathkeale in a place calls Reens Pike. Must say the food was very good, would really recommend it for anyone doing a drive back from kerry to Limerick and wants decent country pub food en route

Has anybody noticed the price increases since the increase of VAT on the hospitality sector? I heard tea in Hook N Ladder went from €2.50 up to €3.10 in Castletroy. This is a lot more than the 4% hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Has anybody noticed the price increases since the increase of VAT on the hospitality sector? I heard tea in Hook N Ladder went from €2.50 up to €3.10 in Castletroy. This is a lot more than the 4% hike.

I grabbed a coffee in staryucks last week as the factory was closed. 3.90 for a grande. Both the factory and Arabica on the ballysimion road remain unchanged.

its probably not just VAT though. Hast minimum wage etc increased? I assume business owners taking the chance to pass on what they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

A large Americano in McDonalds at Jetland went from €2.30 to €2.45

A large Americano in McDonalds at Jetland went from €2.30 to €2.45

this is approx the 4.5% increase so i have no qualms with this increase. However some cafes have increased by a lot more & decidedly taken advantage of the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I paid €2.10 for a can of coke in Enzo's last week! I might be getting old, but I don't think it's all that long ago that it used to be €1.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

The chap who runs the little coffee outlet at the potato market hadn't upped his prices last week anyway and you can be sure his margins are a lot tighter than H&L and co.
    Gouging like that really pisses me off :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

this is approx the 4.5% increase so i have no qualms with this increase.

I don't recall them dropping their prices when the rate went down originally

Advertisement