Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Genius2013

damowill wrote: »
    Has anybody noticed the price increases since the increase of VAT on the hospitality sector? I heard tea in Hook N Ladder went from €2.50 up to €3.10 in Castletroy. This is a lot more than the 4% hike.

24% increase - and then they'll wonder why if footfall reduces!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Genius2013 wrote: »

Yes, vote with your feet. It's not like there isn't an abundance of coffee available.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

€3.10 for a couple of teabags in a pot is crazy markup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Mr E wrote: »

You are paying for the experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

Mr E wrote: »

With everything taken into account, that's probably a (conservative) profit of €3 per cup. Ridiculous.

I'm no huge fan of buying tea when out because I don't think it justifies the price. At least with coffee there is an expensive machine and skill involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There's got to be a minimum cost for anything you consume in a cafe or restaurant that is higher than the pure price of the materials. A teabag and hot water is obviously cheap but renting the space it's served to you in, the heating and lighting for the space, the equipment the water is heated and served to you in, paying the person who gives it to you, the equipment for handling and recording the payment etc etc - none of these are free and all add a cost on top of the 10c we might like to think a cup of tea 'costs'.

Businesses obviously have to try and make good margin on their most popular items to keep the doors open. €3.10 for a cup of tea is over the top ok but trying to make out it's €3 mark up is stupid. How many cups would you have to sell to pay at 15c apiece to pay the electricity?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

I see Treasury is shutdown, can someone recommend any other nice romantic restaurants around the City / County? Would prefer to not have a massive table between us too by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

kokiyou wrote: »
    I see Treasury is shutdown, can someone recommend any other nice romantic restaurants around the City / County? Would prefer to not have a massive table between us too by the way.

The French table is a nice spot. Freddies is nice but it can be a bit cramped. Ms Moneypenny and I like La Piccola for the romantic meals but I can see why many may not share out sentiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

The Mustard Seed out in Ballingarry is nice, or Adare 1826 in Adare village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

The Treasury was a big loss to the city imo. It was the only high-quality restaurant where you could go out and try something something new/strange. The likes of Freddies/French Table are tasty, but its the same menu all year around. There's nothing to entice me out to try something new and modern.

The head chef from The Treasury is now in the East Room in UL. The menu looks tasty, but I've never gone in. I'm out in university and have no interest going back there for a nice meal after work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

keane2097 wrote: »
    Businesses obviously have to try and make good margin on their most popular items to keep the doors open. €3.10 for a cup of tea is over the top ok but trying to make out it's €3 mark up is stupid. How many cups would you have to sell to pay at 15c apiece to pay the electricity?

Meh. I'm just tired and cranky today. Stop being sensible. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

The Treasury was a big loss to the city imo. It was the only high-quality restaurant where you could go out and try something something new/strange. The likes of Freddies/French Table are tasty, but its the same menu all year around. There's nothing to entice me out to try something new and modern.

The head chef from The Treasury is now in the East Room in UL. The menu looks tasty, but I've never gone in. I'm out in university and have no interest going back there for a nice meal after work.

It is worth it!!!

Thanks guys, how is the Cornstore for a couple / and food quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Average, it's fine, nothing special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Agree. It's nice, but not as good as it used to be. Expensive for what it is IMO.

Thanks I'll check out Freddies then as I have never been.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

East room food is amazing was there at Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pebbletroy

Genius2013 wrote: »

Just calculated that myself, 24% is really making a mockery of the 4% VAT increase.
    It really is taking the proverbial pi**

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Was in Flanagans over Christmas think they have one of if not the best burgers in Limerick at the minute.

The Clubhouse in Adare Manor used to be the best by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

Cannot fault the food when i have been there and a comfortable restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

kilburn wrote: »
    Was in Flanagans over Christmas think they have one of if not the best burgers in Limerick at the minute.

We were in here for dinner over Christmas, and the service was abysmal. Burnt steaks, incorrect orders, and the service was very slow. The waiter advised us to order from the set menu, as this "would be easier" for him!

We were quite a large group, and it's safe to say, none of us will be going back in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Cornstore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Thanks I'll check out Freddies then as I have never been.

1826 in Adare is well worth the trip, it’s a step up on anything in town

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

1826 in Adare is well worth the trip, it’s a step up on anything in town
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Anyone been to The Grill Room in Alex Findlater & co?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Where'd I go for for a dacent breakfast in limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Macdarack wrote: »
    Where'd I go for for a dacent breakfast in limerick?

Are you looking for a good fry or something more fancy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Horse and Hound on Mulgrave St is usually a good bet for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Are you looking for a good fry or something more fancy?

Good fry with meaningful sausages, a bit of pride in black puddin a fryied egg that wanted to be a fried egg, not a gammon rasher, , loafy toast, Barry's or Lyons tea, not that catering by the 2 thousand box tea that turns hot milk into milkyer warm sugery milk,anyway, I don't want to get into it, its hard to explain..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I had a fry in Esquires on Catherine St and it was the nearest thing to what you would make at home. Tea was crap though.

Advertisement