Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I had a fry in Esquires on Catherine St and it was the nearest thing to what you would make at home. Tea was crap though.

Coffee in there is quite rank too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Coffee in there is quite rank too.

Can't say I would agree. It would be one of my favourite places to go in town at the moment.

Can't say I would agree. It would be one of my favourite places to go in town at the moment.

I was in there once. Just when they opened... I got a pretty bad cup of coffee. Extremely bitter. Perhaps it was a once-off bad experience?

I was in there once. Just when they opened... I got a pretty bad cup of coffee. Extremely bitter. Perhaps it was a once-off bad experience?

Give it a try again, I would say you will be impressed. And have either the fry or one of the sandwiches, delicious and I'm fussy enough.

Give it a try again, I would say you will be impressed. And have either the fry or one of the sandwiches, delicious and I'm fussy enough.
    I'll try it again for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Can't speak for the coffee, but the food in there is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Nelly's Corner gets my shout for breakfast, great coffee too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Had an excellent breakfast in the Woodfield House this morning. A friend with me was very happy with his too.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Was at the East room tonight lads. Very very very good. Highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    We were in here for dinner over Christmas, and the service was abysmal. Burnt steaks, incorrect orders, and the service was very slow. The waiter advised us to order from the set menu, as this "would be easier" for him!

We were quite a large group, and it's safe to say, none of us will be going back in a hurry.

Flanagans, Thomas St.

Would not cross the threshold again. Very similar experience.

10 on a Christmas night out, they had no ham that evening on the turkey and ham, and the waiter didnt really seem too bothered about it.

We were the only large group, a table of 2 i think came in shortly after.

One of the steaks was orderd med-rare and came out med-well, was sent back and came back blue. That was returned also, they were not busy.

Besides the shambles of the overall dining experience, a few people in the group pointed out the smell of sewage, got something myself down by the toilets, but was not a pleasant dining experience at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

oleras wrote: »

Besides the shambles of the overall dining experience, a few people in the group pointed out the smell of sewage, got something myself down by the toilets, but was not a pleasant dining experience at all.

As a patron and indeed a Leaseholder of that premises in previous incarnations I can confirm that sewage and its aroma are a well known and long standing issue with that premises.
    I've not eaten in Flanagans, but the comments on the service don't inspire me to give it a try either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭belinda502

this is one of the most beautiful pieces or writing about breakfast i've ever read - almost brought tears to my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭RINO87

belinda502 wrote: »
    this is one of the most beautiful pieces or writing about breakfast i've ever read - almost brought tears to my eyes

??? Are we missing a link or....?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭zimmermania

belinda502 wrote: »

Pulitzer prize? It would bring a tear from a glass eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Comhra wrote: »
    Had an excellent breakfast in the Woodfield House this morning. A friend with me was very happy with his too.

The food in the woodfield is quiet good. It's a great spot to have a drink in too

• Registered Users Posts: 24,312 ✭✭✭✭phog

I see Mr Noodle has added Appetisers to their menu - they has a sign outside which includes Duck Roll, Ribs, Gyozas, Calimari and other stuff that I can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Pizza Galaxy... €5 for a 9 inch pizza with 2 toppings, chips and a can of whatever you want. Can't beat that! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I eventually got around to trying La Piccola Pizzeria last week. Overall, unfortunately it was only ok.

The sauce and cheese were fairly bland. Probably could have done with a bit more sauce. The toppings were fine without exactly being super-tasty. The pepperoni was more like chorizo.

In fairness the base was really excellent.

I must get around to trying La Cucina and Da Vincenzo's, although I had to walk out of Da Vincenzo's a couple of months ago having stood at the entrance waiting for someone to acknowledge a gang of four of us for about ten minutes.

Got one from Lui's in Raheen a while back that wasn't terrible for takeaway pizza.

At the risk of offending one poster i have to state that i ate something for the first time in my life today in the Workshop cafe in Eastway.

Shakshuka was the dish and it was excellent.

At the risk of offending one poster i have to state that i ate something for the first time in my life today in the Workshop cafe in Eastway.

Shakshuka was the dish and it was excellent.

What is Eastway? What is the Workshop cafe? What is Shakshuka?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Quite amazing the different experiences people are having in the same restaurants chalk and cheese in some cases

What is Eastway? What is the Workshop cafe? What is Shakshuka?

Eastway is an industrial/business park in Limerick with a very large number of people working there.

The Workshop is a cafe/coffee shop that provides home made food for breakfast and lunch using only fresh food cooked on the premises.No pre-made sandwiches or anything like that.

Google is your friend for Shatsuka and i think it cost me around 7 euro,it has a large number of ingredients inc tomatoes,peppers onions and a lot more wit two eggs put in raw to poach on the hot base,worth checking out anywhere you can find it.

Eastway is an industrial/business park in Limerick with a very large number of people working there.

The Workshop is a cafe/coffee shop that provides home made food for breakfast and lunch using only fresh food cooked on the premises.No pre-made sandwiches or anything like that.

Google is your friend for Shatsuka and i think it cost me around 7 euro,it has a large number of ingredients inc tomatoes,peppers onions and a lot more wit two eggs put in raw to poach on the hot base,worth checking out anywhere you can find it.

I take it you are affiliated with The Workshop in Eastway. I've only ever seen you post about it. Must check it out next time I'm over that side of town. Is the coffee good?

I take it you are affiliated with The Workshop in Eastway. I've only ever seen you post about it. Must check it out next time I'm over that side of town. Is the coffee good?

It is only those who might be working in the area would be aware of it,i go there because it is easy to park.

I drink tea normally but my wife likes their coffee,i have nothing whatsoever to do with the cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Sounds like you took the first part from their website :)

Mc Love wrote: »
    Sounds like you took the first part from their website :)

Truthfully,i was not aware they had a website,we just talked to the staff when when it first opened and we are regulars now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Truthfully,i was not aware they had a website,we just talked to the staff when when it first opened and we are regulars now.

Regulars is right :p
    I can understand where you're coming from, a little known place in an industrial estate on the edge of town, you're doing your bit for promotion, in fact on your (repeated) recommendation(s) I'm looking forward to trying it out sometime,
    but really, have you eaten anywhere else? You'll understand people thinking you have some sort of skin in the game

What time are you open Zimmer?! :P:P

Regulars is right :p
    I can understand where you're coming from, a little known place in an industrial estate on the edge of town, you're doing your bit for promotion, in fact on your (repeated) recommendation(s) I'm looking forward to trying it out sometime,
    but really, have you eaten anywhere else? You'll understand people thinking you have some sort of skin in the game

I ran a business for most of my life,happily retired for many years (got out early).

I know enough about business and the promotion of business to know that one person extolling the virtues of an eatery is not going make much difference and it would be very easy for me to get half a dozen people to wax lyrical if i had any "skin in the game".

I shall continue to call in to the Workshop but i shall desist from informing Boardies of my experience for a while.

• Advertisement

What time are you open Zimmer?! :P:P

I love the the humour in the the above,but alas the early mornings would not tie in with my sedentary lifestyle.

Advertisement