Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I love the the humour in the the above,but alas the early mornings would not tie in with my sedentary lifestyle.

Ah I am only hopping a ball, good to see you posting actually. Haven't been over in the horse racing forums in a LONG time sadly. Good to interact with you elsewhere on here.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Ah I am only hopping a ball, good to see you posting actually. Haven't been over in the horse racing forums in a LONG time sadly. Good to interact with you elsewhere on here.. ;)

I know well you were ball hopping and i like that and just by the way i will be in a buying mood if Hadwin wins the Desert Classic as i have a tenner ew on him at 28/1 and he is 2 ahead after 10 holes.

I will treat myself to a good breakfast in the Workshop in the morning if he wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Good to know your experiences and clearly you're not involved. It just sounded like you were writing from a script

Mc Love wrote: »
    Good to know your experiences and clearly you're not involved. It just sounded like you were writing from a script

Far from it but i do a bit of writing from time to time and i find it easy to write about things that i really like such as antiques as i have been a collector and a seller all my life.

Writing is no bother but i have great difficulty in uploading pics from my phone onto sites such as this,anyway i will keep my thoughts on my culinary experiences to myself for a while.

I will be heading to the Algarve at the weekend where the food on offer will be excellent and will not cost a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Far from it but i do a bit of writing from time to time and i find it easy to write about things that i really like such as antiques as i have been a collector and a seller all my life.

Writing is no bother but i have great difficulty in uploading pics from my phone onto sites such as this,anyway i will keep my thoughts on my culinary experiences to myself for a while.

I will be heading to the Algarve at the weekend where the food on offer will be excellent and will not cost a fortune.

There's surely an industrial estate somewhere in the Algarve with an eatery to satisfy you???? :D

• Advertisement

There's surely an industrial estate somewhere in the Algarve with an eatery to satisfy you???? :D

I am sure i will find somewhere.O Vittorio in Vilamoura away from the Marina is very good and Reis and Artista in Lagos are also very good but as i am going to somewhere i have not previously stayed i will enjoy trying to poke out the good ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I am sure i will find somewhere.O Vittorio in Vilamoura away from the Marina is very good and Reis and Artista in Lagos are also very good but as i am going to somewhere i have not previously stayed i will enjoy trying to poke out the good ones.

If you're anywhere near Portimao/Praia Da Rocha, there's a lovely restaurant there called "All Beef", definitely worth a visit.
    Also, in Praia Da Rocha is "Dolce Vita", a cheap and cheerful Italian with great ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Anyone here been to Bakehouse 22 on Nicholas St.? Been meaning to try it for a while, just wondering if it's worth the trip..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Anyone here been to Bakehouse 22 on Nicholas St.? Been meaning to try it for a while, just wondering if it's worth the trip..

I usually go in there for coffee when I'm up that part of town. Really nice decor and atmosphere. Definitely worth a trip up for I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jjoconoor

pebbletroy wrote: »
    Just calculated that myself, 24% is really making a mockery of the 4% VAT increase.
    It really is taking the proverbial pi**

FYI hook & ladders tea did not go up 24%, really wish people would get their facts correct before posting slander.

€2.50- regular tea- now €2.60
    €3.00- herbal tea- now €3.15

As other posters have commented your not paying for a tea bag and water. It’s overheads. Restaurants by definition have one if the lowest GP %’s out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Tried the green onion today. Excellent indeed.

Also, is just me or is the portion of chips in the chicken hut gone very scabby or was it always the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

For me, it's a contender for best cafe in Limerick now. Consistently excellent

Also, is just me or is the portion of chips in the chicken hut gone very scabby or was it always the case.

Always been that way, i always get a large chip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Right lads, taking a female for lunch ~3PM midweek, any suggestions?
    No dietary requirements, just looking for a nice place to maybe get a toasted special or something and won't cost the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

No dietary requirements, just looking for a nice place to maybe get a toasted special or something and won't cost the world.

Aroma on Catherine Street sandwiches are excellent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Saw a new place advertised on Facebook The Angry Burger Company

Ma Hogans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Mc Love wrote: »
    Ma Hogans
    I kinda want a nice looking place too, was looking at the Buttery maybe although I might be strapped for time as they close at 4, also looked at Bean a Tí.

I kinda want a nice looking place too, was looking at the Buttery maybe although I might be strapped for time as they close at 4, also looked at Bean a Tí.

Have you been in? It's really well done up and cosy! Stay away from the buttery unless you want to be disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

bigpink wrote: »

This is on UberEats or Deliveroo exclusively. They don't have a sit in restaurant. It seems to be a new concept for Limerick. Badass are doing the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Their FB page used to be the Funky Donut page, I wonder if its the same guys running it?

Possibly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    This is on UberEats or Deliveroo exclusively. They don't have a sit in restaurant. It seems to be a new concept for Limerick. Badass are doing the same.

The race to the bottom continues. Eateries with no premises

leakyboots wrote: »
    The race to the bottom continues. Eateries with no premises

Disagree. Unsustainable rents, high insurance due to members of public on premises, I think it’s a good way to go. In badass burritos situation she relies on takeaway anywY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I don't disagree with your points on rents and insurances, but the model is most definitely not a good way to go for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I don't disagree with your points on rents and insurances, but the model is most definitely not a good way to go for the city.

If it’s the same people as funky donut, their premises is establishment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Might it encourage people to open a small food business?

Had a nice meal in Achari near the Hurlers bar at the weekend,bring your own drink is popular with groups,at least it was with our group.

Typical Indian fare but nicely presented and staff very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Might it encourage people to open a small food business?

Any kitchen serving food for public sale or consumption needs to be HACCP and Food Safety compliant.
    Getting a kitchen and store area up to those standards isn't cheap.
    Selling burgers from an already extant restaurant kitchen for a delivery service, allows another revenue stream for the business.
    Selling burgers from a "home" kitchen, leaves one wide open for enforcement action.
    Especially with regards to the rules around cooking to order for products of moncemeat origin(i.e rare/medium)

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    Any kitchen serving food for public sale or consumption needs to be HACCP and Food Safety compliant.
    Getting a kitchen and store area up to those standards isn't cheap.
    Selling burgers from an already extant restaurant kitchen for a delivery service, allows another revenue stream for the business.
    Selling burgers from a "home" kitchen, leaves one wide open for enforcement action.
    Especially with regards to the rules around cooking to order for products of moncemeat origin(i.e rare/medium)

Not necessarily, food business operating from home fall under a different legislation(similar to that of a farmers market) and can be much easier run. In badass burritos I think she is only operating a single day a week so very little legislation to conform to. The major European cities now home warehouses were a multitude of food operators work from. Now public access. All online. Unfortunately you now must have an online presence.

Advertisement