Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Has Rios on the ennis Rd closed down?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Has Rios on the ennis Rd closed down?

I actually went up there last week for a bite to eat and it was closed. The lights we're on inside but not fully on if that makes sense. The signs outside we're also on which made me to believe it was open.

It was after 6 in the evening so I would expect it to be open.

There is a for sale sign on the outside of the building but that has been there for a while now.

Hopefully it is not closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Was in Sash restaurant in No.1 Pery Square Saturday night for a belated Valentines dinner. It's a lovely spot, nice decor and atmosphere. The menu was also quite good, decent variety with lots of locally-sourced ingredients. Food was as good as anything in Limerick, really nice. My only complaint was the price - €45 pp for a 3 course (which in fairness included some breads at the start). Just thought it was a bit much, when similar offerings in town are about €35-€40 (Freddies, Cornstore, The French Table). With 2 glasses of wine thrown into the mix, the bill came to a handy €114

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Got around to eating in The East Room over the weekend. The setting is very nice out there, lovely dining room and the staff were good.

The food is of a much higher standard than I've had in Limerick before - easily a level above the likes of Freddy's and the French Table which to be fair don't seem to aim for 'haute cuisine' anyway.

The meal ran to €120 for two starters, two mains, two beers, two glasses of red and two coffees. It also includes some very good amuse-bouche, sorbet palate cleanser and some petit fours. We didn't bother with deserts as we didn't have room for them, so the portions were pretty generous.

I would say the place is not a million miles off Michelin Star quality. The quail starter in particular was first rate. Great to have somewhere occupying this space in the market in Limerick now, hopefully it will be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Prices in restaurants have noticeably jumped since the VAT increase.

I was in La Cucina Centro on Friday, very mediocre with a not so mediocre price. I can't understand why they have a policy of making you wait to be seated while they make a big deal of finding you a place to sit when there are loads of empty tables.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Got around to eating in The East Room over the weekend. The setting is very nice out there, lovely dining room and the staff were good.

The food is of a much higher standard than I've had in Limerick before - easily a level above the likes of Freddy's and the French Table which to be fair don't seem to aim for 'haute cuisine' anyway.

The meal ran to €120 for two starters, two mains, two beers, two glasses of red and two coffees. It also includes some very good amuse-bouche, sorbet palate cleanser and some petit fours. We didn't bother with deserts as we didn't have room for them, so the portions were pretty generous.

I would say the place is not a million miles off Michelin Star quality. The quail starter in particular was first rate. Great to have somewhere occupying this space in the market in Limerick now, hopefully it will be successful.

High praise indeed! I haven't been yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about the place. As you said, it's great to have a true "fine dining" experience in Limerick. Freddies, The French Table, etc. are lovely spots but, in reality, are probably more casual than true fine dining. Of course, there is nothing wrong with casual, but it is nice to have something a bit more upmarket for special occasions.

High praise indeed! I haven't been yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about the place. As you said, it's great to have a true "fine dining" experience in Limerick. Freddies, The French Table, etc. are lovely spots but, in reality, are probably more casual than true fine dining. Of course, there is nothing wrong with casual, but it is nice to have something a bit more upmarket for special occasions.

Yeah I have always thought that those two places in particular suffer from being attached to the 'best in Limerick' tag. I have found myself being critical of them for what they're not rather than enjoying them for what they are at times. Having a place operating at the next level up might alleviate that a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I actually went up there last week for a bite to eat and it was closed. The lights we're on inside but not fully on if that makes sense. The signs outside we're also on which made me to believe it was open.

It was after 6 in the evening so I would expect it to be open.

There is a for sale sign on the outside of the building but that has been there for a while now.

Hopefully it is not closed.

Ya it was the same on Friday evening, the lights outside were on but doors were locked. And this was at about 5 o'clock when you'd imagine they'd be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The carriage house in Adare Manor is casual dining but everytime we've been out we've dressed up as the place is just very upper class, you'd expect to be dressed up as the service by the staff is top class and they're so polite and attentive. The food is on another planet, in terms of quality, that I've had in Limerick.
    I've been twice and been impressed both times. I've not been in the Manor itself but I have heard that it is just as good.

For a clubhouse of a golf resort, the carriage house is something else, something to be experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

East room imo is the best in Limerick and by some distance.
    Had dinner in azur excellent food but price same as East room so know where ill be going again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Prices in restaurants have noticeably jumped since the VAT increase.

I was in La Cucina Centro on Friday, very mediocre with a not so mediocre price. I can't understand why they have a policy of making you wait to be seated while they make a big deal of finding you a place to sit when there are loads of empty tables.

I don't get the love that a lot of people have for La Cucina at all. As you say, mediocre food at not so mediocre prices and making a big deal out of seating.

Some definite 'notions' there.

I don't get the love that a lot of people have for La Cucina at all. As you say, mediocre food at not so mediocre prices and making a big deal out of seating.

Some definite 'notions' there.
    The likes of La Cucina, The Buttery, and Hook & Ladder are restaurants for the social media age. Love them or hate them, they have a formula for success, which is to target certain demographics with "instagrammable" food. Social media helps perpetuate the myth that these places are quality restaurants. IMO they are fine/grand, but their prices definitely do not reflect their food offerings.

There's no doubt LaCucina do good quality good and I'm not saying that because i know the owners, you can tell how good it is if you've had it. I'll admit it is a bit on the pricey side, when the other family restaurant up the road has similar food for slightly less money.
    I don't rate the buttery, never been impressed at all by it, but that's just my opinion and I'm sure there'll be a few that disagree with me but then that's the Internet

Oh, I meant to mention I was in the Green Onion over the weekend and had a great Reuben sandwich. That place is a real gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

La cucina for me is coffee and oreo cupcake neither of which I can fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

bigpink wrote: »
    Saw a new place advertised on Facebook The Angry Burger Company

OH and myself ordered. They got the order totally wrong and the food was terrible.

Chips tasted like they were cooked yesterday and heated in a microwave. Burger was dry and bland. OH was probably even more unimpressed.

I usually give a place the benefit of the doubt and try it on another occasion, I will not be revisiting this, we binned everything.

On the plus side deliveroo gave a full refund in credit which we used to try Anchari, couldn't fault it. Garlic and coriander naan was amazing. Massive portions of everything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

La Cucina Centro is a rip off got a lasagne and the portion was tiny
    Someone told me the Munster players eat in La Cucina regularly they must be giving them special treatment

The buttery I don't rate at all. I like La Cucina Centro for a lot of things but I felt that I didn't get value for money. I have no problem paying high prices but the quality of food must reflect that. And leaving people stand and be ignored whilst there are empty tables is just bad manners.

The green onion is a real gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Paudee wrote: »
    OH and myself ordered. They got the order totally wrong and the food was terrible.

Chips tasted like they were cooked yesterday and heated in a microwave. Burger was dry and bland. OH was probably even more unimpressed.

I usually give a place the benefit of the doubt and try it on another occasion, I will not be revisiting this, we binned everything.

On the plus side deliveroo gave a full refund in credit which we used to try Anchari, couldn't fault it. Garlic and coriander naan was amazing. Massive portions of everything.

Sounds like the restaurant at they run..
    Awful awful food

bigpink wrote: »
    La Cucina Centro is a rip off got a lasagne and the portion was tiny
    Simeone told me the Munster players eat in La Cucina regularly they must be giving them special treatment

Who's Simone when she's at home? Pasta has a lot of carbs but la cucina in Castletroy has a different menu and they obviously serve a lot of healthy options too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rockwell

hi folks, are there any city centre cafes or places open on a Sunday morning about 11am serving breakfast?

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I'll start to sound like I'm shilling (I'm not, I just like the place), Story cafe on Denmark st does a good breakfast and crepes. Think it opens at 9 on sundays

I'll start to sound like I'm shilling (I'm not, I just like the place), Story cafe on Denmark st does a good breakfast and crepes. Think it opens at 9 on sundays

I like there too, good food, good prices but why does yer man behind the counter have to shout at everyone? Ehhhhhhh hozzzittt goooiiinnng!!!!????

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

The two lads are mad! Maybe not with a hangover...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

I've been critical of La Cucina Castletroy, but I think Centro is very good. The seating policy is a bit odd, leaving people waiting when they clearly have space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Angry Burger II have to say. I got a delivery from here as well and I couldn't fault it. I thought the food was very good. Maybe they have different chefs on .i would have never thought of complaining to the delivery guys I would have complained to the burger crowd. I also would not have binned an order because it all tasted bland

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I agree with you, probably the best value full Irish in town.
    Great quality and the staff are always so bubbly and polite.
    They do great French toast too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

rockwell wrote: »
    hi folks, are there any city centre cafes or places open on a Sunday morning about 11am serving breakfast?

The Aroma Cafe at the junction of Roches St and Catherine St is open Sun mornings and does very nice breakfasts and coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I would rate the Buttery well ahead of La Cucina for food, as for those Freakshakes that La Cucina serves, who thought that was a good idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

The coffee in there is nice. I'd be a little concerned about the quality of the ingredients. They were not as fresh as I would like last time I went. It's definitely budget food.

Advertisement