Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

You will definitely need to book in either Freddys or the French Table, you'll likely not get a table in either as a walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Any one recommend a nice area with a few restaurants in I could walk with the mrs and we chose at the time. Off to limerick for the first time with the mrs and slightly worried reading some of these posts on here as I’m not Irish and she’s not white so don’t want random grief or abuse

I'd recommend any of the below.

The Curraghgower - Clancy Strand (enjoy an evening stroll down by the river before or after dinner)
    The Buttery (Tapas or al carte) - Bedford Row
    Da Vicenzos - Shannon street
    Tuscany at The Granary - The Granary
    Texas Steakhouse - O' Connell st
    Azur - George's Quay (may need booking)
    Freddies Bistro- Theatre Lane, Glentworth st (would need a booking)
    The French Table - Steamboat Quay (may need booking)

Slightly worried about random grief or abuse: while there was ONE recent incident reported, i assure you have nothing to worry about. Limerick people are extremely welcoming & friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

Ah okay, might avoid it so!

While I'm here, I know this is Limerick and not Clare, but since it's close by, has anyone ever been to Carrygerry house near Shannon. Heard someone at work talking about it. Food is supposed to be lovely, but I'd never even heard of it before.

I’ve eaten there for years and have never had anything but excellent food and service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Can anyone remember the name of the restaurant that used to be on the corner of Henry St. and Mallow St (opposite Gleesons Spar)?

I can't remember when it closed exactly but it might be gone about 8 years at this stage I'd say. Used to be similar to Freddies Bistro menu wise, pricey but nice for a treat.

Edit..had wrong street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Can anyone remember the name of the restaurant that used to be on the corner of William St. and Mallow St (opposite Gleesons Spar)?

I can't remember when it closed exactly but it might be gone about 8 years at this stage I'd say. Used to be similar to Freddies Bistro menu wise, pricey but nice for a treat.

Henry st & Mallow? The Silver Plate maybe, could be completely wrong, just something in my head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Can anyone remember the name of the restaurant that used to be on the corner of William St. and Mallow St (opposite Gleesons Spar)?

Do you mean Mallow and Henry street?
    Brulees?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Sinead Mc1 wrote: »

Do you mean Mallow and Henry street?
    Brulees?

Yes....Henry St...sorry for the mix up.

Brulees sounds right I think....has been wrecking my head for a couple of days....cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Yes....Henry St...sorry for the mix up.

Brulees sounds right I think....has been wrecking my head for a couple of days....cheers!

It was called Creme Brûlée's. What an absolute ****e name for a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

It was called Creme Brûlée's. What an absolute ****e name for a restaurant.

I don't recall that, I'm certain it was just Brulee's, very good it was as well

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It was just Bruleés.
    Great quality spot it was too.
    Was one of my favourite spots in Limerick while it was open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Yup, just brulees and agree it was fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

Thoughts on Bambu?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

shanmo wrote: »
    Thoughts on Bambu?

I ate there twice last year. Enjoyed both meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

shanmo wrote: »
    Thoughts on Bambu?

They merged with Spice of India & moved to that location from overhead Texas Steakhouse. They kept the Thai chefs from Bambu and kept the Indian chefs from Spice of India.

Always found the Indian at SoI really good and it hasnt changed from the merge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

any suggestions for somewhere to eat breakfast this Sunday morning before the parade? have to be in around 9.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

angeldaisy wrote: »
    any suggestions for somewhere to eat breakfast this Sunday morning before the parade? have to be in around 9.30am

The Green Onion. I don't say this lightly but it is hands down the best fry in Limerick.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

The Green Onion. I don't say this lightly but it is hands down the best fry in Limerick.

thanks for that but they're closed Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Went for dinner with the wife to Bella Italian recently, first time there in years!! Have to say it far better then I remember. Lovely mains and dessert... And all very reasonable. Definitely an option for a quiet night out if you didn't want anything too fancy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Had breakfast in Dolans this morning. €8.50 for full Breakfast with all the coffee/Tea & Toast you want. Was a great breakfast too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Skuxx wrote: »
    Went for dinner with the wife to Bella Italian recently, first time there in years!! Have to say it far better then I remember. Lovely mains and dessert... And all very reasonable. Definitely an option for a quiet night out if you didn't want anything too fancy!!!

Was there on Monday night, ordered garlic bread, on the menu at €2.30, expecting a lovely bit of garlic bread only for two slices from a baguette to appear. Disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Was there on Monday night, ordered garlic bread, on the menu at €2.30, expecting a lovely bit of garlic bread only for two slices from a baguette to appear. Disappointed.

Same reason I never go back - looks like something you would get from Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Same reason I never go back - looks like something you would get from Iceland.

At least with Iceland, you would get a ball of Garlic Bread for €1.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭shanmo

damowill wrote:
    They merged with Spice of India & moved to that location from overhead Texas Steakhouse. They kept the Thai chefs from Bambu and kept the Indian chefs from Spice of India.

damowill wrote:
    Always found the Indian at SoI really good and it hasnt changed from the merge.

Ya I always liked SOI, best in Limerick for me. Hence why I was curious about how it was since merging.

Went during the weekend and can confirm the Indian food there is great. Flavoursome and good quality produce. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Sinead Mc1 wrote: »
    Yup, just brulees and agree it was fab.

Was it called something else before that,maybe some Irish name?,whatever the case i had a few nice meals there.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Chungs Chinese in Castletroy (opposite the Castletroy Park Hotel) has gone. There is a new sign up 'Papa Rich Asian Streetfood', work currently going on inside. Had a good few family gatherings in Chungs, will miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Chungs Chinese in Castletroy (opposite the Castletroy Park Hotel) has gone. There is a new sign up 'Papa Rich Asian Streetfood', work currently going on inside. Had a good few family gatherings in Chungs, will miss it.

There’s a Papa Rich in Galway and it’s absolutely delicious :cool:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Discovered Peking Asian Street Food in Mace Catherine Street/Thomas Street the other day. Lovely portion of noodles, kept me going for the remainder of St Patrick's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Had pizza from Tonys in Raheen and its really really nice. There's a great deal too, pizza, chips and drink for €10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Slightly off topic but I bought a few shepherd's pies in Ramen (Ivan's) recently and they were top-notch.

Real home-made flavour with lots of minced lamb filling and tasty mash topping. 50 mins. in the oven at 180C. Real comfort food.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Comhra wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I bought a few shepherd's pies in Ramen (Ivan's) recently and they were top-notch.

Real home-made flavour with lots of minced lamb filling and tasty mash topping. 50 mins. in the oven at 180C. Real comfort food.

Like an Aisan style pie?

Advertisement