Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

bigpink wrote: »
    Like an Aisan style pie?

No, this is the real Irish shepherds pie - or maybe it's an English traditional thing, I'm not sure but definitely not Asian.

cottage-pie.jpg?itok=JBa7nQeO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Comhra wrote: »
    No, this is the real Irish shepherds pie - or maybe it's an English traditional thing, I'm not sure but definitely not Asian.

cottage-pie.jpg?itok=JBa7nQeO

Strange dish for a Aisan restaurant but if it’s nice

The Asian restaurant is only a part of that shop. There's a regular deli and various other offerings there as well as Asian food.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Fusion cuisine. Their sweet & sour tripe pizza is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Went to Alex Findlater and Co for lunch today. Was absolutely scrumptious and was very busy. Went to sit outside in the sunshine but the traffic made it very unpleasant so went back inside. Really recommend though for a bite to eat.

Are there any places to eat outside in town that are away from traffic?

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »
    Went to Alex Findlater and Co for lunch today. Was absolutely scrumptious and was very busy. Went to sit outside in the sunshine but the traffic made it very unpleasant so went back inside. Really recommend though for a bite to eat.

Are there any places to eat outside in town that are away from traffic?

Had coffee there last Sunday morning with a few friends. Really liked it and the staff were very nice too. Must try lunch there very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

I ate in Kyoto recently and it was superb - food, staff and atmosphere all perfect.

I had lunch in Off The Bone and it was dreadful. Everybody at the table had the same thoughts on the food - tough and overcooked, small portions and slopped on the plate with no care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I had lunch in Off The Bone and it was dreadful. Everybody at the table had the same thoughts on the food - tough and overcooked, small portions and slopped on the plate with no care.

Had the same experience there before

kilburn wrote: »
    Had the same experience there before

Had lunch there twice last year for friends' birthdays. Both visits were disappointing and well below the normal standard.

Tough undercooked meat and desserts were dry and well past their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Hi guys,
    Looking for a restaurant recommendation for a family group of about 20.

Be great if we could all sit together.

We've been to texas stakeout, French table, hamptons, brimstone.

Should we stick to one of these with a big group or any other recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Azur, Cornstore will all deal easily with a group that size

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Hi guys,
    Looking for a restaurant recommendation for a family group of about 20.

Be great if we could all sit together.

We've been to texas stakeout, French table, hamptons, brimstone.

Should we stick to one of these with a big group or any other recommendations?

I was in Da Vincenzo recently and they were setting up for a group that size as we ate.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

I second Azur. Fantastic restaurant.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Azur would probably limit a group of that size to their set menu, which doesn't suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Was in Brimstone last week about 30 of us and they really looked after us. Food was good and the service was good would have no problem recommending it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Was in Brimstone last week about 30 of us and they really looked after us. Food was good and the service was good would have no problem recommending it

Is the brimstone not Establishment now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

panda100 wrote: »
    Is the brimstone not Establishment now?
    Yes your right. Forgot about the change

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Thanks everyone for the help, will ring the places suggested and call in for a look at how they'll seat us all.

Went to Milanos in the crescent. Have to say I was disappointed. Got the American pizza, pepperoni & cheese. Nothing too fancy. Was tiny. €13.70 I think it was. It was just grand. The prices are very dear in my opinion. Won't be in a hurry back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Went to Milanos in the crescent. Have to say I was disappointed. Got the American pizza, pepperoni & cheese. Nothing too fancy. Was tiny. €13.70 I think it was. It was just grand. The prices are very dear in my opinion. Won't be in a hurry back

Agreed. I think it's very expensive for what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Always found Milanos really really really overrated. Don't get the hype at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don't think anyone actually rates Milanos do they? It's a place to go for a casual consistent menu of boring Italian-ish crowd-pleaser dishes that is going to taste to same in every other Milanos or Pizza Express for non-bank-breaking prices.

I've never met anyone who claimed to have had, or even expected to get, a great meal in Milanos. They're not importing the finest mozzarella from Campania (or Cork for that matter) for a €13.50 pizza.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone actually rates Milanos do they? It's a place to go for a casual consistent menu of boring Italian-ish crowd-pleaser dishes that is going to taste to same in every other Milanos or Pizza Express for non-bank-breaking prices.

I've never met anyone who claimed to have had, or even expected to get, a great meal in Milanos. They're not importing the finest mozzarella from Campania (or Cork for that matter) for a €13.50 pizza.

I went to Tuscany for lunch today and it was very good. Milanos is Italian for people who think like Italian food.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I went to Tuscany for lunch today and it was very good. Milanos is Italian for people who think like Italian food.

What did you have?

keane2097 wrote: »
    What did you have?

Bruschetta and an Antipasto sharing plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Its a bit late considering we went on the 11th April ;)
    But the French Table did a set tasting menu that night, 7 courses with paired wines.
    I've been a fan of the place for quite a while and since their recent refurb and menu overhaul I can honestly say it is as good as ever.
    The service is always top notch and the food while veering towards classical french cuisine is always so so good!

My Mrs has plainer taste than me and is a huge fan of their tartiflette but for me, any visit there has to start with the charcuterie platter.
    It is always top class.

The tasting menu on offer on the promo night was fantastic, the slow cooked lamb shoulder will live long in the memory.
    It really is IMO one of the most underrated gems of a restaurant in Limerick City, easily on a par with 1826 and the Mustard Seed and much more convenient to get to and from ;)

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/378624/limerick-chamber-objects-to-crescent-plan-for-restaurant-and-community-hub-expansion.html

International restaurant chain with locations in Ireland but not yet in Limerick.... dare I say it? Nandos? 5 guys? The suspense of it all!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

Popped into The Buttery recently, last time I was there was around the time they first opened. I loved the place on first visit, but wasn't impressed by what it's turned into.

Had to convince the other half not to leave when she saw the note on the menu warning that substitions incur a 2 euro surcharge. Apparently it wrecks the chef's flow!

The waitress was lovely and friendly, though excrutiatingly overbearing. I think it's safe to assume that someone in charge likes to crack the whip in there.

I always hear people raving about the place, but I'd need some serious convincing to go back there.

Apt8 wrote: »
    Popped into The Buttery recently, last time I was there was around the time they first opened. I loved the place on first visit, but wasn't impressed by what it's turned into.

Had to convince the other half not to leave when she saw the note on the menu warning that substitions incur a 2 euro surcharge. Apparently it wrecks the chef's flow!

The waitress was lovely and friendly, though excrutiatingly overbearing. I think it's safe to assume that someone in charge likes to crack the whip in there.

I always hear people raving about the place, but I'd need some serious convincing to go back there.

Exactly why I've stopped going there. The food did go down and for the prices they charge your expect it to seriously good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Agreed, went recently and found it expensive and average.

Not a patch on Bella Italia.

Advertisement