Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

As regards Milanos Groupon is your friend 2 course meal for 2 is 25

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

kilburn wrote: »
    As regards Milanos Groupon is your friend 2 course meal for 2 is 25

Always an offer on 3plus app for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Has anyone noticed Milanos in the city has gone quiet. Is it since they opened in the Crescent?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jjoconoor

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/378624/limerick-chamber-objects-to-crescent-plan-for-restaurant-and-community-hub-expansion.html

International restaurant chain with locations in Ireland but not yet in Limerick.... dare I say it? Nandos? 5 guys? The suspense of it all!!!!

It is 100% Nando’s. A limerick city eatery that has multiple branches was due to go in there but pulled out when Nando’s signed up

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/378624/limerick-chamber-objects-to-crescent-plan-for-restaurant-and-community-hub-expansion.html

International restaurant chain with locations in Ireland but not yet in Limerick.... dare I say it? Nandos? 5 guys? The suspense of it all!!!!

It is 100% Nando’s. Local limerick city eatery has also been approached to go in there. Big push on food out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

jjoconoor wrote: »
    It is 100% Nando’s. A limerick city eatery that has multiple branches was due to go in there but pulled out when Nando’s signed up

Is it 100% in your opinion Nando's or is it a case that you know something we don't about it being Nando's?

Bet you the Leader will run a scoop saying a well placed source has confirmed Nando's is to open in the Crescent before the week is out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Apt8 wrote: »
    Popped into The Buttery recently, last time I was there was around the time they first opened. I loved the place on first visit, but wasn't impressed by what it's turned into.

Had to convince the other half not to leave when she saw the note on the menu warning that substitions incur a 2 euro surcharge. Apparently it wrecks the chef's flow!

The waitress was lovely and friendly, though excrutiatingly overbearing. I think it's safe to assume that someone in charge likes to crack the whip in there.

I always hear people raving about the place, but I'd need some serious convincing to go back there.

I would have been one of those people raving about it before. Hadn't been in a while and went in last Sunday to meet friends for breakfast. Was disappointed and would not be in a rush back tbh. Prices were a little more expensive and they changed the fried chicken. The substitutions comment on the menu is a little cheeky too, even if I understand the reasoning behind it. Our food also took feckin ages to come. Not a patch on The Green Onion imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I would have been one of those people raving about it before. Hadn't been in a while and went in last Sunday to meet friends for breakfast. Was disappointed and would not be in a rush back tbh. Prices were a little more expensive and they changed the fried chicken. The substitutions comment on the menu is a little cheeky too, even if I understand the reasoning behind it. Our food also took feckin ages to come. Not a patch on The Green Onion imo.
    The Green Onion is best cafe-type restaurant in town IMO. Nice, varied menu with lots of local produce, sound staff, and great coffee. It can be a bit on the pricey side, but that's the premium you pay for local produce I guess. The Buttery, La Cucina, etc. are more style over substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone been in the Bedford? What are they like for coffee? Operation looks impressive from the show with the Brennans

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Mc Love wrote: »
    Anyone been in the Bedford? What are they like for coffee? Operation looks impressive from the show with the Brennans

Coffee is good using ponaire blend. Haven't had food but no kitchen there so I'd say it's a sandwich and cake set up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

The Green Onion is best cafe-type restaurant in town IMO. Nice, varied menu with lots of local produce, sound staff, and great coffee. It can be a bit on the pricey side, but that's the premium you pay for local produce I guess. The Buttery, La Cucina, etc. are more style over substance.

The young male server is rude as hell. Put me off going in there. The young girl and owner are lovely.

The young male server is rude as hell. Put me off going in there. The young girl and owner are lovely.

Well I'm glad you said it because I thought it was just me, he is beyond ignorant. Twice I've asked for minor changes on things eg can I have black pud instead of white or for a freshly squeezed OJ and it either has been ignored or he has been very clearly put out at having being asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pebbletroy

Had lunch today in Marco Polo , very underwhelming. My starter of Pork belly crostini contained very little pork . My main dish was an Italian carbonara with ham and mushroom but my pasta choice was not delivered correctly, I didn’t mind In the grand scheme of things but I barely ate the food ,there was very little carbonara sauce too much pasta and it was bland and tasteless.The only saving grace was my Glass of red Wine which was filled to the bare minimum . I think standards have dropped since I was last at the restaurant maybe that had got to do with the price, I.e. low price lower food standard.
    Saying that the restaurant was busy and filling up as I was leaving around 1:15 pm so it is very popular and has a regular clientele. Personally i will not be beating a path back there in the forseable future. Disappointing

Marco Polo; All show, no go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Marco Polo is terrible. I've eaten there twice and that was one time too many.
    Last time I had lasagne which was basically just sloppy overcooked pasta with lumpy tomato sauce. I would have needed a search team in order to try and find any meat in there.

I was with two friends and we all felt that they couldn't get us out of there fast enough either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I liked it. Nice chicken wings. Don't remember what my main course was. My wife also liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

I liked it. Nice chicken wings. Don't remember what my main course was. My wife also liked it.

Same. Nice spot for lunch. It's not Michelin standard but it's great value. Their Thai red curry is really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

pebbletroy wrote: »
    Had lunch today in Marco Polo , very underwhelming. My starter of Pork belly crostini contained very little pork . My main dish was an Italian carbonara with ham and mushroom but my pasta choice was not delivered correctly, I didn’t mind In the grand scheme of things but I barely ate the food ,there was very little carbonara sauce too much pasta and it was bland and tasteless.The only saving grace was my Glass of red Wine which was filled to the bare minimum . I think standards have dropped since I was last at the restaurant maybe that had got to do with the price, I.e. low price lower food standard.
    Saying that the restaurant was busy and filling up as I was leaving around 1:15 pm so it is very popular and has a regular clientele. Personally i will not be beating a path back there in the forseable future. Disappointing

You're not meant to have Mushroom and/or cream in Carbonara either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

We gave Marcos a turn after a long way away from it recently, we thought the standards had slipped a while back.

Pleasantly surprised when we went back recently, had a lovely meal there.

'Tis good fare for what you're paying I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Marco Polo is barely more expensive than the likes of Supermacs for a lunch. When you keep the price in mind the food is fine - nothing special and probably not as good as it was 5 years ago.

• Advertisement

Marco Polo is barely more expensive than the likes of Supermacs for a lunch. When you keep the price in mind the food is fine - nothing special and probably not as good as it was 5 years ago.

I'd take a chicken fillet sandwich and garlic & cheese chip over MP any day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

I'd take a chicken fillet sandwich and garlic & cheese chip over MP any day!

Time and a place for everything! :D

Is it 100% in your opinion Nando's or is it a case that you know something we don't about it being Nando's?

Bet you the Leader will run a scoop saying a well placed source has confirmed Nando's is to open in the Crescent before the week is out!

Latter option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Went to the Green Onion on the people's recommendations here over the weekend.

Wasn't overly impressed to be honest.

Had the equivalent of a full fry (two sausage, two rashers, one egg, one piece of pudding and toast) X 2.

A tea and a cappuccino and it came to €28?!

The breakfast was fine, nothing bad but nothing particularly good either, sausages tasted bland and cheap.

Service was nice, that's about it.

Wouldn't be rushing back to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

To be fair, I don't think a fry would do them justice. I've never had breakfast there, but I've tried numerous items on their lunch/brunch menu, with each one being as good as the next. Would recommend it for lunch before ruling it out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

davo2001 wrote: »

Had the equivalent of a full fry (two sausage, two rashers, one egg, one piece of pudding and toast) X 2.

The breakfast was fine, nothing bad but nothing particularly good either, sausages tasted bland and cheap.

That’s two fry ups I hope?? Otherwise it’s insanity

I was in Collins's in Adare one night last week for something to eat. Woke up in the middle of the night, stomach in bits and ended up throwing up.
    I was driving so only had a coke, so it definitely wasn't alcohol related.
    I thought the coleslaw wasn't quite right at the time though .....

Let's just put it this way. I won't be paying a return visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

davo2001 wrote: »

€28 for a fry and a coffee?
    Really now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Really now?

It says clearly X 2

• Advertisement

Really now?

€28 for 2 fries and 2 coffees I assume. It's dear but I'm surprised you weren't impressed.

Advertisement