Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Definitive Limerick Restaurant and Takeaway Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I was in taikichi last weekend and Alex Findlater's this weekend. But very impressive but I'm not a sushi loving secret agent so I'm a bit lost. What could people reccommend? I had the ramen which was nice but Im not crazy about broth based stuff dishes so still a bit unsure. We has a side of dumplings which were unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

I was in taikichi last weekend and Alex Findlater's this weekend. But very impressive but I'm not a sushi loving secret agent so I'm a bit lost. What could people reccommend? I had the ramen which was nice but Im not crazy about broth based stuff dishes so still a bit unsure. We has a side of dumplings which were unbelievable!

Try the bento box the next time. Few different variations. Can't go wrong with it. The food in Taikichi is always excellent.

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Try the bento box the next time. Few different variations. Can't go wrong with it. The food in Taikichi is always excellent.

Must try it, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The chicken gyozas are class as well. We never fail to order them no matter what else we're having.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

keane2097 wrote: »
    The chicken gyozas are class as well. We never fail to order them no matter what else we're having.

+1 for the gyozas, I could eat a bucket of them.

The sushi in there is excellent also. I love the freshness of raw fish but you can go with vegs, smoked salmon, cooked prawn etc if that's not your thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Aside from the sushi my go to dishes in Taikichi are

Taikichi Yaki Soba
    Taikichi Fried Rice
    Teppan Chicken Teriyaki - they have a beef and duck one too
    Chicken Katsu Curry Don

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I thought I would post here instead of starting a new thread. It's my boyfriend's birthday on Friday and I want to bring him out for dinner. Not anywhere fancy, decent pub grub is fine. I'm a vegetarian and he enjoys a good steak. I'm guessing the Curragower is the best bet after reading the bad reviews if the steaks at the Steakhouse?

Any other suggestions in the city?

Daisies wrote: »
    I thought I would post here instead of starting a new thread. It's my boyfriend's birthday on Friday and I want to bring him out for dinner. Not anywhere fancy, decent pub grub is fine. I'm a vegetarian and he enjoys a good steak. I'm guessing the Curragower is the best bet after reading the bad reviews if the steaks at the Steakhouse?

Any other suggestions in the city?

If you wanted to go for decent pub grub, Bobby Byrnes do a very good steak. Curragower is hard beat but Bobby's do simple stuff well.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Anyone been to east room? Ny good?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Anyone been to east room? Ny good?

The East room is amazing! Can't speak highly enough of it. There, and the Mustard Seed are my fave spots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

If you wanted to go for decent pub grub, Bobby Byrnes do a very good steak. Curragower is hard beat but Bobby's do simple stuff well.

I had a look at Bobby's but I must have missed the steak on their menu. I thought it was strange that they didn't have it. Thanks though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Was in Starbucks sarsfield street this morning great to see that building in use but the fit out is cheap looking.

"Toilet" was a disgrace and even worse than that when I went in the knack in front of me hadn't locked the door.......

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

It saddens me when I hear complaints about Starbucks because that means that someone supported them in the process of having a crap experience.

Don't support Starbucks.

Apt8 wrote:
    It saddens me when I hear complaints about Starbucks because that means that someone supported them in the process of having a crap experience.

I support as many business as I can in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

kilburn wrote: »
    Was in Starbucks sarsfield street this morning great to see that building in use but the fit out is cheap looking.

"Toilet" was a disgrace and even worse than that when I went in the knack in front of me hadn't locked the door.......

I thought the same when I went in first. Very cheap looking. Very open plan. It's doesn't have the same relaxes feeling as the other one. However it's a great spot to people watch. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

kilburn wrote: »

You didnt happen to mention this to the staff so they can rectify it? If you did, fair play.

Of course I did

I am turning into a cranky old man

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yep welcome to the club :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Daisies wrote: »
    I had a look at Bobby's but I must have missed the steak on their menu. I thought it was strange that they didn't have it. Thanks though
    Food is grand but their delivery fees are outrageous :D

Food is grand but their delivery fees are outrageous :D

Who the funk thinks it's acceptable to order one coffee from across town though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

CosmicFool wrote: »
    I thought the same when I went in first. Very cheap looking. Very open plan. It's doesn't have the same relaxes feeling as the other one. However it's a great spot to people watch. :D

Cheap, open plan and barren seems to be the generic Starbucks template

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Was in Bakehouse 22 on Nicholas St. this morning for breakfast and was impressed. Lovely spot, inside is really nice. Menu is small but varied and very reasonably priced - especially compared to some of the more "glamorous" neighbours up town. I went for poached eggs and bacon on avocado and sourdough (a real millennial staple!) and had a cappuccino. Food was as good, and as generous, as any other offering in the city. Paid €9.50 which I thought was very good value. Would recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pebbletroy

Great to see looked very impressive on tv
    Just shows if u offer a top notch experience people will come and I intend to be one of them soon
    Best of luck and FairPlay to those involved
    Hopefully we might see other establishments up their game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Takeaway Bia box from Bia at the milk market is great value. Big sandwich with good quality fillings, coffee, some crisps and 2 cookies for 8.50.
    It would feed 2 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Hook and Ladder Corbally on Saturday PM, 2 full breakfast + tea. Farmhouse Sausages were real cheap rubbish. Bacon fatty and not crispy. Fatty bacon needs to be crispy. Black pudding OK, brown bread good.

Service was like an episode of Love Island, we were an inconvenience. No "senior" staff to keep an eye on things. . Tea cups cold. Plate COLD!!!

On paying when asked if everything was OK I did say it would have been nice to have a hot plate.... and then explained it helps keep the food hot.... "sorry we don't have one of them" was the reply from pretty boy... he didn't know what I was talking about, I could have explained but I could tell he was in a hurry to get back to Love Island.

..... and the thing was I thought "not many cars outside this place for a Saturday", now I know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Hook and Ladder Corbally on Saturday PM, 2 full breakfast + tea. Farmhouse Sausages were real cheap rubbish. Bacon fatty and not crispy. Fatty bacon needs to be crispy. Black pudding OK, brown bread good.

Service was like an episode of Love Island, we were an inconvenience. No "senior" staff to keep an eye on things. . Tea cups cold. Plate COLD!!!

On paying when asked if everything was OK I did say it would have been nice to have a hot plate.... and then explained it helps keep the food hot.... "sorry we don't have one of them" was the reply from pretty boy... he didn't know what I was talking about, I could have explained but I could tell he was in a hurry to get back to Love Island.

..... and the thing was I thought "not many cars outside this place for a Saturday", now I know why.

Hook & Ladder living on reputation, along with the Buttery and a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I was in the Co op in Raheen and went into the cafe attached to it for breakfast. The staff were excellent and the breakfast was very good. I will go back there again

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Hook & Ladder living on reputation, along with the Buttery and a few others.

i was in the Buttery for evening meal. They no longer do Tapas. Tapas was the only reason we ventured in there, as you cant get them anywhere else (House,101 and Bobby Byrnes do a few). While they werent amazing tapa's they were still good. Maybe Irish/Limerick people prefer their mains or traditional 3 course meal, but surely there is an opening for a very good Tapas bar in Limerick!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think I heard the Buttery won another award last week, so they're doing fine.

Mejana would be good for their choice of hot and cold mezzes, even if not exactly tapas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Hook & Ladder leaves a lot to be desired. Service can be brutal, depending on who you get, and more than once have experienced dirty cutlery and glasses. The food, by and large, is quite decent, but they're letting themselves down in easy to fix areas.

Advertisement